Quetoo: A Fast Quake2

lux

Still Fresh
Why don't port Quetoo?
It's fast like quake1 and it's OpenSource! :rolleyes:

Quetoo is a Quake2-compatible game engine, forked from Quake2Forge, with focus on security, stability, and speed. Due to performance improvements like no dynamic lighting, no animated Explosions and no shadows, Quetoo is up to 48% faster than stock Quake2, what makes Quetoo very interessting if you want to play Quake2 on smaller hardware.

Some other enhancements are the support for ALSA, a Unix-like console with tab-completion, a transparent netgraph, smarter sound mixing and some less-busy combat effects.

I don't know if its possible (I'm not a dev). And I don't know what's "Automake" :blink:
But the idea is cool as Quake2 is almost playable with a good Overclocking.
Anyone tried it on a Unix computer ?

it uses opengl...i don't know if opengl is definitely a requirement but i'd assume so. i'd like to be wrong though :)

Why don't port queetoo :huh: ?
It's more fast than quake2, and quake2 is already ported!!

icurafu posted on Apr 12 2006 at 02:58 PM said:
The performance improvements are all based on the opengl version. It'd be no good for software only.
Ah ok :(

Last edited by a moderator:
TinySDGL (a port of TinyGL, a fast GL-like library that runs on top of SDL) is compilable for the GP2X.
Framerates for 'gears' demo program are like 15 FPS with it.
So you can port GL games at decent speeds.

no, you cant.
glxgears at 15 fps means that you can forget anything complex with it, quake would be a no go, not even 1 fps.

xhyldazhk posted on Apr 13 2006 at 07:23 AM said:
TinySDGL (a port of TinyGL, a fast GL-like library that runs on top of SDL) is compilable for the GP2X.
Framerates for 'gears' demo program are like 15 FPS with it.
So you can port GL games at decent speeds.

can you please explain how "Framerates for 'gears' demo program are like 15 FPS with it" implies "you can port GL games at decent speeds."

Last edited by a moderator:
lol,
well, glxgears really is NO direct FPS measurement at all, if we would get a few hundred frames, then gl games would be feasible ;).

glxgears only shows 2 coloured and not textured gears in screen, the simplest 3D games would need around 10 times the processing power glxgears needs.

I've been talking to the dev of this and he said SDL should preform well too, and we have SDL

I believe ./configure --without-x should do SDL, not sure tho, I forget what he said

you can find him on their IRC channel, he's a nice fella

Hi, I'm the Quetoo guy.

I know pratically nothing about the GP32x, but I thought I'd clear up a few issues about Quetoo, and the possibility of a port in case someone is interested in trying it.

The performance enhancements found in Quetoo are not all OpenGL specifc. In fact, most of them span both renderers. There are many optimizations present in the software renderer, too (no dynamic lighting, no pallete shifting, no water warping, and probably others..). However, as I wanted a portable c implementation, all x86 asm code has been removed, and therefore Quetoo's software renderer is about 35% slower than stock Quake2 on x86 hardware. I'd hoped to one day overcome this with further feature pruning, but I don't think that's entirely realistic.

Now, Quetoo is probably the leanest, cleanest code base a port could start from. And, if someone wanted to re-add or re-write the assembler routines for your platform, I'm quite sure you'd end up with the fastest Quake2 software renderer available. That's not a trivial task, but it's not impossible either. The old asm code is available in very early svn revisions of Quetoo, and, of course, the original id GPL release.

Diffs, snapshots, and some more information is also available on Quetoo's wiki page:
http://jdolan.dyndns.org/trac/wiki/Quetoo

well that's very good news. sorry to have spread misinformation like that...i just went to the page, looked at the code and saw files referencing opengl...but not being a coder i couldn't be sure if that meant it was actually a prerequisite.

I tried compiling this for GP2X... granted I didn't spend very long, but it seemed to want to install a bunch of weird libs in a bunch of weird places. Also I couldn't convince the makefiles that I wanted it to be compiled with -static. Meh, it shouldn't be too hard to correct that stuff though.

Back