Quick Question About Card Readers

frolik

Bass Invader
Website
Visit site
I've used a usb card reader on WinXP for ages now and it never tells me how much space there is on my SMC card unless I do properties on it. If you do a detail view under "my computer" all the non flash drives show total size and free space.

Anyone else have this or is it just me? Would be handy to see the remaining space in the status bar also....

I find I do get the remaining space on the status bar, but only when I'm in the root directory with nothing selected; otherwise it just gives me directory details.

I find I do get the remaining space on the status bar, but only when I'm in the root directory with nothing selected; otherwise it just gives me directory details.

Same here.
Only thing annoying in WinXP is that you can't configure it, that the Status Bar is automatically at the bottom of you window.
You have to open it every time you need it :(

Last edited:
well I can help you with that problem ED, open explorer the usual way, select view->status bar, then close explorer without changing the folder. the reason for this is it saves the folder settings depending on the folder you are in when you close the window. alternatively you could enable the status bar and goto tools->options->view and click the "apply to all folders" button. hope this helps :)

I can't seem to get mine to display the disk space at all, when in the root dir it just says "9 objects" :(

well I can help you with that problem ED, open explorer the usual way, select view->status bar, then close explorer without changing the folder. the reason for this is it saves the folder settings depending on the folder you are in when you close the window. alternatively you could enable the status bar and goto tools->options->view and click the "apply to all folders" button. hope this helps :)

Well, it saves ALL other settings - except for the Status Bar.
Have that problem on all WinXP machines (8 or 9) here at work :/

Last edited:
I have never had this problem, EvilDragon. Are you sure about that? It worked on all four PCs I just repaired.

very strange, it must be a system policy or a profile problem maybe? have the computers had some features locked down?

very strange, it must be a system policy or a profile problem maybe? have the computers had some features locked down?

Nope, I installed them, I am the admin. Didn't change any policies :(

Okay, I just tried again:
Works okay on computers with Service Pack 2 (maybe also on some computers with all the updats installed).

On the old computers it only works if I use the "New Windows Folders", not the old ones ;)

Must be an old bug ;)

Last edited:
ow queer? well it's best to keep the machines up to date anyway, assuming all your licenses are legit ;)

They are legit, but I once had the problem that a new service pack totally screwed up my windows installation, and it has been a computer I urgently needed to work...

Last edited:
Um... my last PC didn't have SP2, just some Windows Updates that plugged the most gaping security holes.

Ah, whatever.

Back