Quite New To The Gp32 Saga..

menace13

Still Fresh
I'm quite interested in a GP32 thought but I would like to know everything about it before I purchase one,like how much does it cost,is it easy to play say Snes or GBA games on it...Is it worth the money..etc

Cheers.

menace13 posted on Jul 17 2005 at 04:31 PM said:
I'm quite interested in a GP32 thought but I would like to know everything about it before I purchase one,like how much does it cost,is it easy to play say Snes or GBA games on it...Is it worth the money..etc

Cheers.

Hi there,

The GP32 is a great little machine for Retro emulation, watching Films/Shows & Playing MP3's.

The emulation for GBA isnt very good (rom sizes too big) but Snez is much better. A lot of Snez games run at fullspeed without sound and some run full speed with sound. The quality of the Snez emulation depends very much on how fast you GP32 can overclock to. Mine can go up to 180mhz but most are 166 or even lower.

The best things that I like about the GP323 are:

Megadrive emulation is near enough perfect at 144mhz and above
GB/GBC Emulation is excellent with the new version of Rylehs emulator.
SMS and NES is pretty much perfect
Speccy & C64 are excellend whist Amstrad is a bit slow.
Atari ST is excellent.
Doom runs great on the GP32 port and there are some excellent Mods for it.

There are a handfull of commercial games available but only a few worth a mention, Pinball dreams for example.

There are lots of Homebrew games available and this is where the GP32 excells, being open source there is a great scene here :)

I have the GP32 for Homebrew/Emulation and a Nintendo DS for Commercial games/GBA Games

I will at some stage get a PSP as the games are comming out very slowly for the DS.

I would say a GP32 is well worth every penny, I have the BLU and its great in or outdoors, I get about 3-4 hrs use out of rechargeable betteries.

Hope that helps,

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for all the info mate,I've got a DS myself but I'm quite bored of it and the PSP is too expensive for me also two more things,what's the difference between FLU BLU etc,and what one is best and how much do each cost?

menace13 posted on Jul 17 2005 at 04:53 PM said:
Cheers for all the info mate,I've got a DS myself but I'm quite bored of it and the PSP is too expensive for me also two more things,what's the difference between FLU BLU etc,and what one is best and how much do each cost?

The BLU has a back lit screen, the FLU has a front light, there is also a non lit unit as well but I would get BLU if I were as the screen is supposed to be clearer. I have the BLU but I have never tryed the other two types.

Ive seen them on ebay for around £80-100 so not too expensive...

menace13 posted on Jul 17 2005 at 05:53 PM said:

FLU= front light unit - colors arnt as vibrant or clear as a blu

BLU=back light unit - colors are great and better for your eyesite then a flu i think...

BLU are going to cost more then a FLU, but recent batch of BLUs sold are BLU+ as they had difficulties in the past which i think most have overcome with such programmes being fixed and all also the BLU+ are said to have better screen quility... but what so ever the gp32 is well worth it...

i recomend a BLU of a BLU+ but either are great...

ggrrrrr fitzsteve you beet me to it, :)

menace13 posted on Jul 17 2005 at 04:31 PM said:

Cheers.

It is well worth the money although to be honest SNES and GBA are not the greatest. SNES runs but it is slow with sound on. GBA forget it, it only runs a few homebrew roms and very slow with no sound.

It does so many other systems very well though and it is well worth it for those.

One thing to consider is that a NEW Gamepark system is supposedly going to be released later this year. We're supposed to get more info about it next month, but we have been told it will cost about as much as the current model.

Read more here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=19686

If you don't want to wait, though, by all means get a GP32. There's more than enough content/emus to keep you playing for years. :)

or get a GBA flash cart and try the sness emu on that... and save some money for the next Gamepark model...

yaustar posted on Jul 17 2005 at 06:41 PM said:
or get a GBA flash cart and try the sness emu on that... and save some money for the next Gamepark model...

:blink:

Joking, I hope .., SNES emulation is FAAAArrrr better on the GP32, even if not perfect.

TelcoLou posted on Jul 18 2005 at 12:59 AM said:
yaustar posted on Jul 17 2005 at 06:41 PM said:

:blink:

Joking, I hope .., SNES emulation is FAAAArrrr better on the GP32, even if not perfect.

Yeah for sure, I had a GBA once and the snes emu was no better on that than on the GP32, although people are overclocking the GBA these days, so maybe it'll get better over there.

Also, I would like to add that SNES emulation is not really that playable on most (166MHZ) GP's simply because of all the transparency hacks that make it run OK (opensnes9xgp) , and IMO frameskip 3/4 with proper graphics (snes9xgp) is just too jerky... so don't buy for snes emulation.

It seems to me that this question comes up on a monthly basis, could a mod make a FAQ for potential buyers somewhere on the board ? I don't mind contributing if someone will pin it. :)

wtf SNES emu are you using that most games are not playable unless 3-4 framskip and transperancy hack?? I have at least a dozen SNES games on my GP32 and all play perfectly fine at frameskip 1 without sound and SuperPunchout actually plays perfect at frameskip 1 w/sound. Honest to god, SNES is not that bad on the GP32.

I agree with KickinWing. I always hear people bitching about the SNES emulator, but almost all of the SNES game I play (using opensnes9xgp) are almost perfect and very playable.

Back