Race! Released

I've just uploaded a new release of RACE to the RACE! SourceForge page.

Download that, unpack it to your SD (wherever you want) and then plop in the "selector" executable from Selector v1.1.

Let me know if it works for you. Selector should be a bit easier to use, now. If you've got it all set up already, you can just grab the new race.gpe from the new ZIP file.

I remember having to create an empty directory called something like DATA in order to get it to actually load... can't remember though. But I'm sure there is a directory somewhere that looks unneccessary but isn't, and, what's more, for which the case matters a lot. I just can't remember which one it is!

But one it's there and named right, it'll load roms properly - I had exactly the same problem you did, I think!

I remember having to create an empty directory called something like DATA in order to get it to actually load... can't remember though. But I'm sure there is a directory somewhere that looks unneccessary but isn't, and, what's more, for which the case matters a lot. I just can't remember which one it is!

But one it's there and named right, it'll load roms properly - I had exactly the same problem you did, I think!

There is a "Battery" directory that is necessary. Though, it should be included in the ZIP file. That is, if you unpacked it with directories as opposed to just pulling the files out of the ZIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one... I recall everything behaving very badly before that was there...

It's included in the zip, but iirc it didn't extract - possibly because Winzip didn't see the point of an empty dir (seeing as it usually creates directories with files in and such).

I also recall the default name being "BATTERY" as opposed to "Battery" at one stage, which also confused things a bit (it should be the latter, but if it's extracted as the former, you'll be looking at a crash, iirc).

There should be an NGF file in that Battery directory inside the ZIP file. Though, if you use WinZip, and you just drag-n-drop the files, it won't create subdirectories. In WinZip, you need to use the "Extract" button.

You're right about it not working without the properly cased "Battery" directory, though. That's one of the bad things about case-sensitive systems. They're just fine until they're mixed with the case-insensitive ones. :) Or is that a problem with case-insensitive systems when mixed with case-sensitive ones? :p

Back