Greader2x V0.3 Released

fusion_power posted on Mar 24 2007 at 04:04 PM said:
I had made a simple BG-image so the Greader2x fits better in my "Liquido" Menu-theme:

I also recommend this color settings in .cfg if you want to use this pic:
Code:
MenuHiBG="6679A3"
StatBarBG="404F6E"

Very nice. Is it OK to add this to the GReader2X website? I'd like to build up a repository of images/configs to suit different uses.

BTW could you also do a 240x320 version of the background for those who want to rotate the screen to 90 or 270?

Cheers,

Coder.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. I hope, the horizontal BG will automaticly replaced with the vertical when turning the screen. (Via menu with other options soon I hope ;) ;) )
Sadly, the LCD isn't made for vertical use ( I have an MK2 GP2X ) because of the different brightness - Games look somehow weird but I haven't tested greader yet ^^""
Besides, the Liquido-Design is © pedator and the book is an clip-art. ^^" Add it where you want if you want. A nice feature also would be, when in greader selected bg's also select an simple graphic "theme" like the different menu/slider/font - colors. Some presets (only menu color-combinations or complete bg with matching colored menus/fonts) could be a help for undecided people :lol: -Of course everything easy to select in greader.... ;)

EDIT: a NICE feature is this "ConvertExtended" function! :) In the past I had no Idea, that such an issue exist until I copied a text from a webside, put 'em in a correct looking textfile on PC -everything seems fine - and then wanted to read this text on my gp2x later. I was surprised, that the standard reader had messed up signs like " '...and so on. It only showed funny squares and garbage-stuff :ph34r: I had to replace all this special characters in the text with even nearly identical looking (but working) ones - weird! I thought it was an GP2X-Settings problem but it wasn't.
This stupid GPH reader still is buggy. Until today he can't even display german characers like Ä Ö Ü ß correctly (kills letter behind such characters) One reason why I now LOVE the Greader! :)

fusion_power posted on Mar 24 2007 at 09:40 PM said:
No problem. I hope, the horizontal BG will automaticly replaced with the vertical when turning the screen. (Via menu with other options soon I hope ;) ;) )
Yeah, I know. Everyone wants the Config routines, but they're so boring to write :( But I've promised to do at least some of them for the next release. At least the Font an Colour options will be covered.

Sadly at the LCD isn't made for vertical use ( I have an MK2 GP2X ) because of the different brightness - Games look somehow weird but I haven't tested greader yet ^^""
You might be surprised, I've been using GReader2X rotated 90 degrees for the past three or four days, maybe two hours a day, and I've decided I'm not going back to horizontal.

I've got the left shoulder button set to page down and the right to page up. My hand is big enough so that I can use my thumb to page down, and a squeeze with my little finger presses the base of my thumb onto the button to page up.

I also use the joystick left and right for line up/down and the joystick click for select, that way I can use them in the file selector still with one hand.

Basicly, I'm left handed, so I use the GP2X in my right hand while I'm eating etc. (mealtimes are one of the few times I have the time to read nowadays).

Besides at the Liquido-Design is © pedator and the book is an clip-art. ^^" Add it where you want if you want.
One of the ideas I had was to foster a GReader2X community where we could share our configs and backgrounds, maybe even our favourite fonts, I just havent had a chance to set it up on the website (things were a bit hectic getting everything ready for this release).

I'd like to have at least a backgrond and key layout for each of normal, rotated 90 (right handed use) and rotated 270 (left handed use). But extra backgrounds and colour schemes would also be great.

Of course, I'm assuming that people want background images and colour schemes and such. None of which I wanted when I started this, but after using them, I decided that they do make reading either easier or more comfortable.

A nice feature also would be, when in greader selected bg's also select an simple graphic "theme" like the different menu/slider/font - colors. Some presets (only menu color-combinations or complete bg with matching colored menus/fonts) could be a help for undecided people :lol:

I considered splitting the visual stuff (colours, fonts, backgrounds etc) from the keys and general options, that way we could have basic skins and an easy way to switch between them. I'm just not sure people would want that. Even I tend to find a look that suits me and stick to it.

-Of course everything easy to select in greader.... ;)

Well, maybe not select yet. It's certainly easy to change the settings if you use a SD card reader, but if you're relying on hooking the GP2x up over a USB connection, it can be a pain. (Yeah, I know. Finish the config routines and it'll be fine). :D

Cheers,

Coder

EDIT: a NICE feature is this "ConvertExtended" function! :) In the past I had no Idea, that such an issue exist until I copied a text from a webside, put 'em in a correct looking textfile on PC -everything seems fine - and then wanted to read this text on my gp2x later. I was surprised, that the standard reader had messed up signs like " '...and so on. It only showed funny squares and garbage-stuff :ph34r: I had to replace all this special characters in the text with even nearly identical looking (but working) ones - weird! I thought it was an GP2X-Settings problem but it wasn't.
Glad you like that option, and I hope it's documented well enough on the website Here (sorry for getting that URL in again, but it has most of the information people need to use GReader2X). By the way, if you spot anything on the website that could be explained better, let me know, I've never claimed to be able to write documentation, it's one of the things I hate about my day job.

This stupid GPH reader still is buggy. Until today he can't even display german characers like Ä Ö Ü ß correctly (kills letter behind such characters) One reason why I now LOVE the Greader! :)
I'm working with another user at the moment to add UTF-8 support to GReader2X, unfortunately he wants Arabic support which has it's own set of problems. but hopefully we'll be able to handle UTF-8 for European languages quite soon.

Cheers,

Coder.

I'm left-handed to, maybe I should try your rotated setting. ^^ When the screen rotates, the Buttons also "rotate", so Stick could be automaticly set to the right direction (right is now up , left is down.....) like in MAME where the 90° screen-rotation also changes the stick-directions :) With your mentioned key layout this would be a great thing. :)

I think the manual on Homepage is fine. Yesterday I had read a copied html-Text on GP2X with ConvertExtended enabled. It was superb especially when comparing the same Text in the GPH reader :lol: But there still was on "Square" inside:

… <-----just 3 dots like ... but different (somehow) correct on webpages, wrong in the GP2X readers. Maybe they can be added to the Greaders correction function?

Oh, and while reading yesterday I found white Text a little bit to bright with my BG, so I think this Text-color would fit a little bit better to my settings (i don't use bold besides):
Code:
MainFG=B4DCEC

fusion_power posted on Mar 25 2007 at 02:13 PM said:
But there still was one "Square" inside:

… <-----just 3 dots like ... but different (somehow) correct on webpages, wrong in the GP2X readers. Maybe they can be added to the Greaders correction function?

Can you send me a sample of the text with this character in it? I'll add it to the function.

Cheerrs,

Coder.

I had copied the character(s) 1:1 in my post. just copy the first 3 Dots in any .txt document and see what happens on gp2x ;)

another 1:1 example: "in the wake of the class shift…I have some stories to tell in that area"

fusion_power posted on Mar 25 2007 at 09:02 PM said:
I had copied the character(s) 1:1 in my post.

Doh! Missed that, I should have looked at the post more carefully. Anyway, it's added to the ConvertExt option now and will translate to three full stops "..."

Cheers,

Coder.

To improve the readability of the frontpage, please always include a small description of the software you are writing about! thanks a lot!

fusion_power posted on Mar 23 2007 at 05:14 PM said:
Yod4z posted on Mar 23 2007 at 12:28 PM said:
can you had mp3/ogg player like in viewerDM? not realy a problem, i use madplayer with a script but can be usefull for common user

How can people read Text AND hear music? :lol: I never had this ability. I can concentrate on text OR concentrate on Music, not booth. :lol:
Well, it's not that you have to hear heavy metal while trying to read a book.

It's more like reading a Harry Potter book (to name one) while hearing its soundtrack; adds a lot of atmosphere :)

You concentrate on the text and let the music flow in the background.

Back