Greader2x V0.4 Released

Coder

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
The beta testers have bene slaving away for the past couple of weeks, and the word is, it works.

So here it is, version 0.4.

The main changes in this version are the addition of an audio player, the inclusion of config routines within the program, UTF-8 support for multiple languages along with language files to translate all the prompts/menus and an improved "on the fly" wordwrapping that decreases load times and means you don't lose your bookmark when you change config settings.

Neat huh?

Anyway, it's available on the file archive (once they update it) or from the Sourceforge Website. The Website also holds some themes and the language files (see the translations section).

As always, please report any bugs, either here, or Here

On a related note (well not really, but I wanted to mention it), I've finally set up a Paypal account so I can take donations. So if you think GReader2X is the greatest thing since the invention of the printing press, and have a bit of spare cash, you know what to do :)

Details of how to donate are on the Sourceforge Website

Thanks,

Coder.

Hey man,
Sorry I cant test this right now, but I was just wondering, did you get a chance to fix support for UTF8 for Arabic?'am really looking forward to it.

sehs33 said:
Hey man,
Sorry I cant test this right now, but I was just wondering, did you get a chance to fix support for UTF8 for Arabic?'am really looking forward to it.
No, sorry. Arabic and Japanese need extra work. I do have a test version that renders Arabic correctly in the main window, but at present it's dog slow.

It needs work to speed it up and allow correct orientation on the prompts and menus.

Don't worry, I'll be in touch as soon as I've got something that needs testing.

Cheers,

Coder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot man, feel no pressure please, I appreciate you didn't drop it, and I will be ready to help any time :)

three cheers for greader!

feature request: one pixel padding on left side of screen. because when you have a white background, the black characters butt up against the blackness at the edge of the screen, and it's a bit distracting. i notice on the right hand side there's always a pixel between the characters and the scroll bar, just a single pixel padding would be nice on the left side.

feature request: be able to configure the key repeat, it feels a bit twitchy. lsdj on gameboy had this problem so johan gave the ability to configure these two parameters:

key repeat value: rate at which to repeat the key that is held down
key delay value: milliseconds to wait before starting to repeat

bug: trying to load a .tlb file kills greader ... might be best to hide these files when browsing the file system. i noticed trying to load a .png also hangs greader.

feature request: exit menu option in the menu

bug: trying to browse a directory with a bunch of files in it causes greader to hang. i need to isolate what the problem is here, because i have a lot of text files in it ... so, who knows what it could be

misc: i don't have any use for the mp3 player but being able to config controls means i never have to see it! :)

hitbyambulance said:
i think this is the first definitive text viewer for the GP2X, in terms of features and support! donation sent
Thanks.

Any donation are going to go towards a cradle to make debugging easier :)

starpause said:
three cheers for greader!

feature request: one pixel padding on left side of screen. because when you have a white background, the black characters butt up against the blackness at the edge of the screen, and it's a bit distracting. i notice on the right hand side there's always a pixel between the characters and the scroll bar, just a single pixel padding would be nice on the left side.
That shouldn't be a problem, I'll add it in the next vesion. In the mean time, you could switch the scrollbar to the left, then the pixel gap between scrollbar and text would eliminatethe problem.

starpause said:
feature request: be able to configure the key repeat, it feels a bit twitchy. lsdj on gameboy had this problem so johan gave the ability to configure these two parameters:

key repeat value: rate at which to repeat the key that is held down
key delay value: milliseconds to wait before starting to repeat
That sounds like a good idea, At the moment I use those values but they're hard coded, putting them in the config would be more in keeping.

starpause said:
bug: trying to load a .tlb file kills greader ... might be best to hide these files when browsing the file system. i noticed trying to load a .png also hangs greader.
Yes, that's a bug. I've been looking at it this morning. A couple of days ago I converted the list of files to lowercase to improve the sorting, but the routine that works out whether an entry is a file or a directory is case sensitive. Any file that did not have a .txt exension was getting treated as a directory. You'll notice the .tlb files are presented as directories with [ & ] around them.

I'll have a fix uploaded sometime this morning.

starpause said:
feature request: exit menu option in the menu
OK, but the key you define as "Exit" will exit the menu.

starpause said:
bug: trying to browse a directory with a bunch of files in it causes greader to hang. i need to isolate what the problem is here, because i have a lot of text files in it ... so, who knows what it could be
That's the same bug as mentioned above.

starpause said:
misc: i don't have any use for the mp3 player but being able to config controls means i never have to see it! :)
Yep, good isn't it.

EDIT: I've uploaded the fixed version to Sourceforge and the File Archive (remember the Archive will take some time to update it).

Small Bug:

When entering the Edit-screens for the Color values and exit with start (no change ) then greader adds extra Quotation marks to the Hex values in the Options screen. You can repeat this by entering and exiting again and again - nice collection of the quotes in the config file. :lol:
It seems even without wanting to save one value, Greader saves when exiting the big option Screen and return to the text. (I always exit/return with start )
I had noticed, that greader shows me some default values for the different colors in each settings screen to - in the Options menu I have my own right values and the colors are right to. Is a little bit confusing.

fusion_power said:
Small Bug:

When entering the Edit-screens for the Color values and exit with start (no change ) then greader adds extra Quotation marks to the Hex values in the Options screen. You can repeat this by entering and exiting again and again - nice collection of the quotes in the config file. :lol:
Oops. I'll fix that.

fusion_power said:
It seems even without wanting to save one value, Greader saves when exiting the big option Screen and return to the text. (I always exit/return with start )
Yes, at the moment it does, it doesn't know whether anything has changed, so saves/reloads everything when you exit config. I might change this for the next version, so it only saves and reloads if you've changed something.

fusion_power said:
I had noticed, that greader shows me some default values for the different colors in each settings screen to - in the Options menu I have my own right values and the colors are right to. Is a little bit confusing.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here.

Coder said:
fusion_power said:

Sorry for my english. ^^
Different Color values instead of my own used Colors. I don't know, where Greader takes the colors from, in the Config file and in the Settings overview, my correct Colors are shown. It apperas sometime, equal to the Quotes problem. For example I look in the Options Screen and see my value of MAINBG is 40456E - correct. I go into these Option and do not change anything (correct displayed here to), exit with start, go back again into MAINBG setting and he shows me the color 004045 now -as Hex, RGB and Color Preview. Good that is's not saved. Only to much Quotes are displayed in the Main Config Screen. (but with my correct 40456E value)

fusion_power said:
Coder said:
Sorry for my english. ^^
Different Color values instead of my own used Colors. I don't know, where Greader takes the colors from, in the Config file and in the Settings overview, my correct Colors are shown. It apperas sometime, equal to the Quotes problem. For example I look in the Options Screen and see my value of MAINBG is 40456E - correct. I go into these Option and do not change anything (correct displayed here to), exit with start, go back again into MAINBG setting and he shows me the color 004045 now -as Hex, RGB and Color Preview. Good that is's not saved. Only to much Quotes are displayed in the Main Config Screen. (but with my correct 40456E value)

Got you, it's related to the quotes problem. I need to strip the quotes if they exist before processing the color string.

I'll be trying this as soon as I get home. Looks ace (even better if there was MP2 support :)

Goob said:
I'll be trying this as soon as I get home. Looks ace (even better if there was MP2 support :)
It may actually be capable of it now. I use libmad for mp3, and according to the interweb, libmad handles mp2 as well.

do you know where I can get an mp2 file to test? If it works I'll add mp2 to the allowed files in the audio player.

Coder said:
EDIT: I've uploaded the fixed version to Sourceforge and the File Archive (remember the Archive will take some time to update it).
you're fast man :)

however, the sourceforge site still only has greader2x_v0.4 ... should the version number have changed?

also, on the scrollbar left/right work-around: if i put the scroll bar on the left, the justified text on the right is flush up against the edge of the screen. but no worries if a pixel of padding is planned :D

thanks again for this great reader!

starpause said:
you're fast man :)

however, the sourceforge site still only has greader2x_v0.4 ... should the version number have changed?
I didn't bother updating the version number since the old version is no longer available. Maybe I should have.

starpause said:
also, on the scrollbar left/right work-around: if i put the scroll bar on the left, the justified text on the right is flush up against the edge of the screen. but no worries if a pixel of padding is planned :D
Ah, I forgot you prefer fully justified text.

starpause said:
thanks again for this great reader!
You're welcome :)

Back