Gmenu2x V0.4 Released

Ryo posted on Aug 29 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
Saves and restores last selected section and link

Can I shut this off? I don't want this writing to my card every time you select something, that is just asking for trouble ;)

I will stick with the old menu for now constant writing is not good. Wears out the card and is asking for corruption if something bugs or power gets low, big no-no.

Autosaves are a bad idea. Especially if they can't be disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megagun posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:28 PM said:
Now there's only one thing I still want: ability to change icons through GMenu2x. Just replace the "file selector" with an image selector, and after you have selected the image to use either allow GMenu2x to:

1) put selected image as the program's default icon (same as copying a .png to the GPE's folder and renaming it to program.png where program is the program's name) so it also becomes the default when using the regular GP2x firmware's menu
2) copy the selected icon to GMenu2x's ICONS folder and pointing the program's icon in GMenu2x options to there (assign the icon in the icons folder to the program)
3) do nothing: only assign the GMenu2x's icon to the icon you selected
The option nr.3 is already planned but I think the other 2 would add too much complexity. Moving/copying/renaming files should go in the also planned full-featured file browser.

reiboul posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:35 PM said:
for the next release, what about the possibility to use larger icons? for example, i love the Liquido skin, i already changed the background, and i'd like tu use its icons, but without resizing them, for there is some text in them, and they overlap, and the 'highlightening' and text positions are bad, too
I think it would add too much uneeded complexity. Maybe when I don't have any more important features to implement...

I haven't paid much attention, but I think in the last release, the icon-highlighting was a bit 'blurry', which was (in my humble opinion ;) ) better-looking
It was a png that I removed because changing the color of the interface would have not affected its color...

chris_r posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
Looking nice so far. Are you planning to add a scan option that will automatically create links?
It is planned from version 0.2 but as I implemented the file browser it is not as much needed as before.

TelcoLou posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
I Love the feature to change the transparency/colors of the selector bars. Is there a way to change only the bottom status bar's color/opacity?
I thought of that too, I think I'll do that...

iignotus posted on Aug 29 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
YES! Thanks so much, Ryo! Is it weird that I want to install this on my computer?
LOL :D well... if you really want you can! :D

naples39 posted on Aug 29 2006 at 08:26 PM said:
Great work again Ryo. By now this launcher has pretty much everything I could ask for except one; is there a way to set link specific gamma values for each program, kinda like how you can save cpu speed values?
A global gamma setting will be added for sure. Don't know how much other users would find your suggestion useful, but may implement it anyway, shouldn't be too complex.

taras posted on Aug 29 2006 at 11:31 PM said:
BTW, if you want to request a feature or report a bug, use the system at http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/bugs/ , otherwise it probably won't happen...
That's not totally true. It is true though that it would help me not to forget about it.

DaveC posted on Aug 30 2006 at 01:40 AM said:
Can I shut this off? I don't want this writing to my card every time you select something, that is just asking for trouble ;)

I will stick with the old menu for now constant writing is not good. Wears out the card and is asking for corruption if something bugs or power gets low, big no-no.

Autosaves are a bad idea. Especially if they can't be disabled.
It doesn't save everytime you change the selection but only when you launch it (when gmenu2x quits), only one write on sd doesn't seem too problematic to me, is it?
I think that the original frontend does the exact same thing, the only difference is that it does it on the nand instead of on the sd (and you cannot disable it).

I'm going to start a Ryo fan club .. who's with me? :D

You ROCK!

jbrodack posted on Aug 30 2006 at 07:21 AM said:
great job on the menu. only thing I don't see in it that I would want is tv out support.

Yeah, TVout support is pretty much the only thing i go to the old menu for now.

Excellent job Ryo :D For one of (if not the) the most useful apps for the GP2x.

-Twixn-

Twixn posted on Aug 30 2006 at 02:07 AM said:
jbrodack posted on Aug 30 2006 at 07:21 AM said:
great job on the menu. only thing I don't see in it that I would want is tv out support.

Yeah, TVout support is pretty much the only thing i go to the old menu for now.
I think that the tv-output gets broken when cpuspeed is called.
Has anyone tried to move away scripts/cpuspeed and test gmenu2x on the tv as I suggested in the previous topic? If the output if fine then what I have to do is implement cpu over/underclock functionality directly in gmenu2x instead of relying on an external binary

PS: I received another anonymous donation, thanks! I was really not expecting all this support.

Thanks for your hard work on this, from what everybody says it sounds great.
Ryo posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
chris_r posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
Looking nice so far. Are you planning to add a scan option that will automatically create links?
It is planned from version 0.2 but as I implemented the file browser it is not as much needed as before.
Does that mean you are not going to implement this feature any time soon? If so, that's fine but I'd like to know because it's my one essential feature.

Thanks!

Ryo posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:02 AM said:
It doesn't save everytime you change the selection but only when you launch it (when gmenu2x quits), only one write on sd doesn't seem too problematic to me, is it?
I think that the original frontend does the exact same thing, the only difference is that it does it on the nand instead of on the sd (and you cannot disable it).

It could be. What if the batteries are low and it hangs when writing? what if a user shuts off the unit while it is writing? It is not like we know exactly when it is doing it. What if it just bugs out when writing? These things can all lead to CORRUPTION of the card. Also I just hate the thought that every time I launch something my card is closer to being worthless. I now have to think Hmm do I really want to launch this and write again to the card? "You just have to ask yourself do you feel lucky".

Also and just as important What if I dont WANT it starting up on the last thing I selected? Sometimes I just test things and I really *don't want* it defaulting to the last thing I did, it is actually very annoying. For example I use emus alot. If the last thing I do is use some text reader utility I don't want it to start there, I want it to always start in emus. So now this "feature" is the opposite of what i want, and it is counter intuitive. I think *most used* is more important and makes more sense than *last used*, at least to me. I would now have to think hmm I want to see a demo but if I do that it is going to stay here in demos when I come back. I don't want it to start in Demos so I better load an emu just to make it start in emus when I turn on the unit. ACK! too much to do to fight and "trick" the interface. I wish I could program as I would get the source and rip that out like a rotten molar.

PLEASE put an option even if in a config to shut this off, please. A better option would be to just set it to a "home page" where you want it to start once and it stays unless you want to change it. Maybe just hit a certain hot key like "y" when in a section and it will write once and start in the current section until you change it. This way it only writes when you want and starts in the place where you actually want it to.

The original stock menu doesn't write to the card or NAND , it always starts in the default spot.

Other than that it is great work but I won't be using it with the mandatory automatic writes :(

I agree with DaveC. I want to be able to shut off the remembering last position because if I always start in the same place it won't take a while for me to get the muscle memory of where my programs are. (R, R, over two icons, launch, etc, etc...)

If the starting position is always changing, I'm always staring at the screen wondering where I'm at.

I also wouldn't mind gamma chaning support for launching applications. (Dark movies, Quake, Doom, etc)

Thanks.

iignotus posted on Aug 30 2006 at 03:48 AM said:
I like it saving where you were. Everyone has different opinions.

I hate it saving where you were. I don't want it starting on the last thing I want it to start in a place that I want it to. I also hate it saving to my card constantly. It is a *bad* idea.

iignotus posted on Aug 29 2006 at 11:48 PM said:

... as do I, but I think for the good of all a configurable ... um, config file would be the solution. Yeah.

<logout>

TelcoLou posted on Aug 29 2006 at 04:57 PM said:
I Love the feature to change the transparency/colors of the selector bars. Is there a way to change only the bottom status bar's color/opacity? Tanks again for all you hard work on this project; I'm never going back to the stock menu again :D

It would be best to be able to change the top, bottom, AND icon selector alpha. Either that or bring back the icon selector graphic.

Why? I want to shut off the alpha on the top and bottom so that I can draw the area into the background skin. If I shut off the alpha I can't see the icon selector anymore ;)

Personally I like having the selector box a png that you could draw and make anything. A plain square box with sharp corners doesn't look as good. With a graphic you can do all kinds of cool things like before. Maybe make it so that if there is no graphic it just uses the plain box. If there is a PNG of the icon selector then it would use that instead. more versitile.

How about a way to edit the section titles as well? Right now I have sections with capital letters but it shows them all lower case for some reason (bug?).

DaveC posted on Aug 29 2006 at 11:54 PM said:
iignotus posted on Aug 30 2006 at 03:48 AM said:

I hate it saving where you were. I don't want it starting on the last thing I want it to start in a place that I want it to. I also hate it saving to my card constantly. It is a *bad* idea.
Uh, you already said all that. Why do you feel the need to repeat yourself?

Just for you DaveC: http://www.orkiesrealm.co.uk/gmenu2x.zip
The binary in that zip won't ever save the config file unless you explicitly tell it to by pressing both A and Y at the same time. You may want to delete your existing gmenu2x.conf before using it though, otherwise you'll always start in the last place you saved the config (unless you press A and Y whilst a different icon is selected of course).

I noticed most USB network functionality breaks when this is activated from an Autorun script ... e.g. I am entirely unable to ping the machine or access its Samba server functionality; when Gmenu2x exits and the regular gp2xmenu binary launches again, the '2x is visible to my machine again. I can't imagine what's causing this, since I doubt gp2xmenu sits running in the background whenever these functions are in use-- and they certainly don't stop working when you run some other program normally!

As not to end this on a down note, GMenu2x is still the most awesome thing to happen to the '2x since the MMU hack. :)

DaveC posted on Aug 30 2006 at 02:51 AM said:
The original stock menu doesn't write to the card or NAND , it always starts in the default spot.

Other than that it is great work but I won't be using it with the mandatory automatic writes :(
Mmm maybe you are right, but when you launch "Music" and quit, the selection is still on "Music"... I don't know...
Anyway, I'll put a configuration setting to disable it.

DaveC posted on Aug 30 2006 at 06:01 AM said:
It would be best to be able to change the top, bottom, AND icon selector alpha. Either that or bring back the icon selector graphic.

Why? I want to shut off the alpha on the top and bottom so that I can draw the area into the background skin. If I shut off the alpha I can't see the icon selector anymore ;)
To also change the selection color is no problem (I would have done it anyway). But remember that the background is used in all the screens of gmenu2x, not only on the main screen.

Personally I like having the selector box a png that you could draw and make anything. A plain square box with sharp corners doesn't look as good. With a graphic you can do all kinds of cool things like before. Maybe make it so that if there is no graphic it just uses the plain box. If there is a PNG of the icon selector then it would use that instead. more versitile.
This seems like a good idea

How about a way to edit the section titles as well? Right now I have sections with capital letters but it shows them all lower case for some reason (bug?).
Maybe it's related to some FAT weirdness, I'll do it...

Epicenter posted on Aug 30 2006 at 11:31 AM said:
I noticed most USB network functionality breaks when this is activated from an Autorun script ... e.g. I am entirely unable to ping the machine or access its Samba server functionality; when Gmenu2x exits and the regular gp2xmenu binary launches again, the '2x is visible to my machine again. I can't imagine what's causing this, since I doubt gp2xmenu sits running in the background whenever these functions are in use-- and they certainly don't stop working when you run some other program normally!
The answer is simple, all this funcionalities are activated by the frontend, not by the firmware as one might think. So I need to reimplement them as well...

Back