Gmenu2x V0.4 Released

I'm guessing that the menu manually 'ifconfig's usb0, and gmenu2x doesn't. The networking settings aren't stored in a standard location, but in /usr/gp2x/common.ini which is what makes me think that the standard menu does all of the work.

Hmm. You could replace the bash.sh script with one Nickspoon made (I don't know where I found it anymore, but probably in the threadof GMenu2x v0.3 (the newspost). that one gives me a working Samba..

Also, ryo, it seems that GMenu2x (at least v0.3. I haven't used v0.4 that much yet so I don't know for sure) doesn't read the "volume limit" setting from the regular GP2xes menu, and it therefore has "volume limit" turned off. Something I'm not really too fond of, since my GP2x churns out enough volume already, and this can be quite of a chore at night when I feel like playing a quick game of this or that without disturbing anyone in the house.. ;) Not that it's much of a problem, though, since I can always exit the menu whenever it is *really* needed..

Another thing: what about linking to the NAND? Myself, I like to keep some basic smallish games there that I play often enough and that don't really need the SD. Oh.. wait.. I could aswell just make a little .gpe that executes those games and place it on the SD.. er.. problem solved then I guess ;)

Oh, and DaveC: are you sure you want to save your game here? There might not be a monster around that corner afterall, and saving the game would degrade your SD card! Ohnoes! But wait! what if there IS a monster! You're going to lose so much progress if you end up dieing without saving the game! Aiie! such dilemmas! :p

Thanks for the fantastic menu system, it kind of reminds me of the old Quickmenu I use to run on the 286 instead of using windows 3.1 :) The only thing that that had that this doesnt was a file browser to launch programs.

As a lover of this menu, what i like to see (if possible) is:

The ability to add a new section to the top menu scroll bar from within the program.
The ability to move a link from one section to another.
The ability to browse and select the icon for a particular link.

Again fantastic job, definitely my default menu for the GP2X.

Ryo posted on Aug 30 2006 at 04:50 AM said:
The answer is simple, all this funcionalities are activated by the frontend, not by the firmware as one might think. So I need to reimplement them as well...

Ah, excellent-- should be very easy to add. :) Great job.

As for this whole Remembering or Not remembering what you were doing when gmenu2x closes .. I think it should just be an option within the program. What'd also be excellent is a System menu to configure USB Network properties, start/stop the FTP/HTTP/Samba/Telnet daemons, adjust LCD settings, etc.

And while I'm dreaming, what I'd really love to see is that when a program is run, GMenu2x closes but leaves a daemon running that, when a certain hotkey combo is pressed, would bring up an onscreen display like the new CPU/LCD tweaker allowing those adjustments (CPU clockrate most importantly), viewing the battery level, and a task list to kill programs that are causing problems (along with of course the ability to jump back to gmenu2x and kill the active program, if it crashed for example.)

Also it would be nice if that daemon offered an 'alt-tab' sort of support to quickly flip between multiple running applications. These background apps could also be listed somewhere in Gmenu2x and be brought back to the top from there as well.

Maybe that's outside the scope of your project but it'd be excellent to see/use; operating much like an OS environment within the OS and providing some of the functionalities users expect from a general purpose PC, making debugging easier, etc.

One last suggestion; an installer GPU might be a good idea for newbies who want to give this a shot without making autorun scripts! It could expand onto the SD card, configure an autorun, and then delete the archive itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
DBH posted on Aug 19 2006 at 11:44 AM said:
Things to consider adding for the next revision.

- Change Link Icon - when you highlight an icon and press select (to go along with the delete link)
- Change Link Path - same as above but to change the path.
- Rename Link Name - not a priority but you could probably add an on screen keyboard later on to do these fiddlings.

Cool you added the OSK as well nice one :)

Keep up the excellent work Ryo!

I tested the program: getting better and better and I really like it!

Here are my suggestions, so far:

- When text editing, it would be nice to be able to move the cursor, ie.: I like to capitalize the entries, I have to rewrite the whole text just to change the first letter.... vol +/- are not used on that page, seems like a good use for them =)

- Also when text editing, I'd like to be able to press start to save and quit the page... getting all the way down to cancel/ok is sometimes akward (I can hardly predict if it's going to land on cancel or ok, depending on where I go down from) and I cancelled by mistake (snif snif boo-oo)

that's it! Not much but I thought I was being really clever when I thought about it =P hehe

Epicenter posted on Aug 30 2006 at 10:14 PM said:
Ah, excellent-- should be very easy to add. :) Great job.

As for this whole Remembering or Not remembering what you were doing when gmenu2x closes .. I think it should just be an option within the program. What'd also be excellent is a System menu to configure USB Network properties, start/stop the FTP/HTTP/Samba/Telnet daemons, adjust LCD settings, etc.
As you say it's not too hard to let the services start, but I need to read the config file of the original interface and start them as configured there and also implement the needed configuration menu for them.

Epicenter posted on Aug 30 2006 at 10:14 PM said:
And while I'm dreaming, what I'd really love to see is that when a program is run, GMenu2x closes but leaves a daemon running that, when a certain hotkey combo is pressed, would bring up an onscreen display like the new CPU/LCD tweaker allowing those adjustments (CPU clockrate most importantly), viewing the battery level, and a task list to kill programs that are causing problems (along with of course the ability to jump back to gmenu2x and kill the active program, if it crashed for example.)
As you say, it's beyond the scope of gmenu2x and it would be a different application anyway. So if anyone wants to implement it I can make it so it integrates well with gmenu2x...

- When text editing, it would be nice to be able to move the cursor, ie.: I like to capitalize the entries, I have to rewrite the whole text just to change the first letter.... vol +/- are not used on that page, seems like a good use for them =)

- Also when text editing, I'd like to be able to press start to save and quit the page... getting all the way down to cancel/ok is sometimes akward (I can hardly predict if it's going to land on cancel or ok, depending on where I go down from) and I cancelled by mistake (snif snif boo-oo)
Makes sense...

Epicenter posted on Aug 30 2006 at 09:14 PM said:
a task list to kill programs that are causing problems (along with of course the ability to jump back to gmenu2x and kill the active program, if it crashed for example.)

Also it would be nice if that daemon offered an 'alt-tab' sort of support to quickly flip between multiple running applications.
I believe someone is working on a program to do this, but I can't remember where on this forum I read about it (it was only a few days ago)

Edit: Found it.

Can this be compiled for linux on a PC, if I were to try?
I presume It would need a bit of tweaking to get higher screen resolutions?

Fez posted on Sep 1 2006 at 06:09 AM said:
Can this be compiled for linux on a PC, if I were to try?
I presume It would need a bit of tweaking to get higher screen resolutions?

All you have to do is download the sources and exec "make -f Makefile.linux" on them.
Of course you have to do a lot of tweakings for higher resolutions.

Thanks to superfly for the kind donation and to Tecnologie Creative for a free Interface Board :eek:

Haven't tried this version yet, but I was wondering, is the joystick button used, I have .3 and it something that is really missed. I'd prefer the stick for choosing like the main menu, and maybe the face buttons for something more useful.

Good work btw Ryo.

TelcoLou posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:05 AM said:
taras posted on Aug 29 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
BTW, if you want to request a feature or report a bug, use the system at http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/bugs/ , otherwise it probably won't happen...
Thanks for the tip :)

Mmm, I thought it might be helpful for the people who are posting feature requests in here. This sort of inane response is why I don't come here anymore - but I'm sure that's what you want to hear, and will misquote it in your sig.

taras posted on Sep 2 2006 at 09:07 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:05 AM said:
taras posted on Aug 29 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
BTW, if you want to request a feature or report a bug, use the system at http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/bugs/ , otherwise it probably won't happen...
Thanks for the tip :)

Mmm, I thought it might be helpful for the people who are posting feature requests in here. This sort of inane response is why I don't come here anymore - but I'm sure that's what you want to hear, and will misquote it in your sig.
Yeah it's really quite fucking rude to say things like that when you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Bad day?

I'm not sure if this has been answered before but, if gmenu2x is installed on my SD card does that mean that I can't take out the SD when idling in the menu?

sand_man posted on Sep 3 2006 at 08:01 AM said:
I'm not sure if this has been answered before but, if gmenu2x is installed on my SD card does that mean that I can't take out the SD when idling in the menu?

gMenu crashes after a while if I remove my SD card :(

reiboul posted on Sep 3 2006 at 10:44 AM said:
gMenu crashes after a while if I remove my SD card :(

It'll crash when you change sections or open the file browser, etc... because gmenu2x needs some files (pngs, links, scripts) and it won't find them.

Back