Greader2x Public Beta

Yod4z said:
your txt file are in "signed UTF8" not in "UTF8" maybe it that the problem
Maybe. I have no clue about all this UTF-8 stuff. I see absolutely no advantages of this Format for me. But OK, now I know how to convert everything correctly. :)

@Coder: While playing with the reader's menu options me came the Idea, that you could add some short descriptions, what each menu-option do. In each options-screen, there normaly is enough space maybe at top or bottom to add some explaining words. :)
And you should add an "none" Option in the BG-selection-screen to choose no background if you want to disable a bg-picture.

By the way, I like your Menu-style. looks really nice with a good overview. I use my simple Liquido BG-Image and only had to change the black (menu) Background to the dark blue color of the sliding bar bg. Looks quite nice. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
@Coder: While playing with the reader's menu options me came the Idea, that you could add some short descriptions, what each menu-option do. In each options-screen, there normaly is enough space maybe at top or bottom to add some explaining words. :)
How much of a description were you talking about? I could probably fit about a dozen words for each, would that be enough?
fusion_power said:
And you should add an "none" Option in the BG-selection-screen to choose no background if you want to disable a bg-picture.
Good idea, I'll look into it.
fusion_power said:
By the way, I like your Menu-style. looks really nice with a good overview. I use my simple Liquido BG-Image and only had to change the black (menu) Background to the dark blue color of the sliding bar bg. Looks quite nice. ^^
Thanks.

evol said:
greader2x hangs when i navigate to [..] and press select and then start

1. navigate to [..]
2. press select
3. press start
Sorry, but I can't reproduce this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're doing.

As far as I can tell:

You're in the file selector and highlight [..]
Then you press the select key which brings up the menu
You then press start, which backs out of the menu.
At this point GReader hangs for you.

Is that correct?

If so does it hapen every time?
Are you in the file selector when you start the program or do you press start to get there from the main reader screen?

Thanks,

Coder.

Coder said:
evol said:
greader2x hangs when i navigate to [..] and press select and then start

1. navigate to [..]
2. press select
3. press start
Sorry, but I can't reproduce this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're doing.

As far as I can tell:

You're in the file selector and highlight [..]
Then you press the select key which brings up the menu
You then press start, which backs out of the menu.
At this point GReader hangs for you.

Is that correct?

If so does it hapen every time?
Are you in the file selector when you start the program or do you press start to get there from the main reader screen?

Thanks,
Coder.

yes you are correct with your assumption, and yes it happens for me all the time but i think its due to something happening with my config file so i wouldnt worry about it if there are no other than me having this issues im gonna test some more today. and report back if it is consistent

evol said:
yes you are correct with your assumption, and yes it happens for me all the time but i think its due to something happening with my config file so i wouldnt worry about it if there are no other than me having this issues im gonna test some more today. and report back if it is consistent
OK, thanks.

EDIT: By the way, did you get the foreign characters working?

Coder said:
How much of a description were you talking about? I could probably fit about a dozen words for each, would that be enough?
Yes of course. Just short explanations like "set the color of the Background" or "set font to bold". Like in Gmenu2X for example. :) I was thinking of this because for me it was not clear, what the "speed" option exactly do. ^^""""""
And for better Menu navigation, maybe there could be such an "brake" effect with the stick movement. Each stick movement just move the selection one point. After a delay (half or one second? ) while holding stick direction the selection move again and endless. So you hit exactly what you want. It's like these Keyboard key-delays. :) The biggest benefit would be in the small "select" popup-menu (choose document, configure, exit)

Oh, and I use german language of course. For testing I wanted to switch to english language but its not in the language-file list ^^" I thought it was built in the .gpe because there was no engl. language file. But how can I choose it without manual editing the cfg file?

Aaand I was a little bit confused because of the default menu points for "page up" and "Page down" because the controlls were twisted. "page up" scroll page down and vice versa. I have changed it so now I scroll one page down with x or right shoulder Button and up with y or left Shoulder Button

fusion_power said:
Yes of course. Just short explanations like "set the color of the Background" or "set font to bold". Like in Gmenu2X for example. :) I was thinking of this because for me it was not clear, what the "speed" option exactly do. ^^""""""
OK, I'll look at doing that. Just for reference, the speed option is CPU speed.
fusion_power said:
And for better Menu navigation, maybe there could be such an "brake" effect with the stick movement. Each stick movement just move the selection one point. After a delay (half or one second? ) while holding stick direction the selection move again and endless. So you hit exactly what you want. It's like these Keyboard key-delays. :) The biggest benefit would be in the small "select" popup-menu (choose document, configure, exit)
Hmm, it should already do that. It's set to one second for the first repeat and 1/3rd sec after that. I'll look to see if there's a bug in there.

Anyone else experiencing this?

fusion_power said:
Oh, and I use german language of course. For testing I wanted to switch to english language but its not in the language-file list ^^" I thought it was built in the .gpe because there was no engl. language file. But how can I choose it without manual editing the cfg file?
That's a bug, it's the same problem as the background image, there's no way to blank down the option. I've actually fixed it, but haven't uploaded it yet (I'm waiting for a few more things so people don't have to keep downloading for each change).

fusion_power said:
Aaand I was a little bit confused because of the default menu points for "page up" and "Page down" because the controlls were twisted. "page up" scroll page down and vice versa. I have changed it so now I scroll one page down with x or right shoulder Button and up with y or left Shoulder Button
OK.

Coder said:
fusion_power said:
OK, I'll look at doing that. Just for reference, the speed option is CPU speed.
fusion_power said:
Hmm, it should already do that. It's set to one second for the first repeat and 1/3rd sec after that. I'll look to see if there's a bug in there.

I really thought it was the scrolling-speed. ^^ I use Gmenu2X for clocking so I was not thinking, your game has its own Clock-regulator. I use 100MHz for the program by the way but now i have to set this in greader I think.

Yes, the scrolling is to fast. Not in the text, there it could be even faster, but in the menus. I have no real delay in the small options window. In the big options Dialouge it doesn't matter that much because there you scroll longer (Overall scrolling speed is OK I think )
Maybe these Screen is a little bit to long, maybe you could put all the button-config-options in a seperate window, selectable from the small Options popup or the Main Options section? I had noticed this while I want to change something at the bottom of the Options menu and always had to scroll all the way down. Damn I'm to lazy I think :lol:

fusion_power said:
Coder said:
I really thought it was the scrolling-speed. ^^ I use Gmenu2X for clocking so I was not thinking, your game has its own Clock-regulator. I use 100MHz for the program by the way but now i have to set this in greader I think.

Yes. Though that has given me an idea, i can change it so that if speed is 0 then it doesn't change the clock at all, then people could use GMenu to do it if they wish.

fusion_power said:
Yes, the scrolling is to fast. Not in the text, there it could be even faster, but in the menus. I have no real delay in the small options window. In the big options Dialouge it doesn't matter that much because there you scroll longer (Overall scrolling speed is OK I think )
Maybe these Screen is a little bit to long, maybe you could put all the button-config-options in a seperate window, selectable from the small Options popup or the Main Options section? I had noticed this while I want to change something at the bottom of the Options menu and always had to scroll all the way down. Damn I'm to lazy I think :lol:
Page up/down and goto top/bottom keys work in this screen, so it shouldn't be too hard to get to any point. I wanted a place where all the settings could be seen and changed without getting lost in menu's

Coder said:
Page up/down and goto top/bottom keys work in this screen, so it shouldn't be too hard to get to any point. I wanted a place where all the settings could be seen and changed without getting lost in menu's
Yes, I had found out this yesterday evening. :) Ok, so the scrolling is no problem. And it was just an suggestion with this additional menu. So the main menu only would have 4 points and 2 of them would be lead to the options menus "configure program" and "configure controlls" or so...or not ^^"

Oh, and a suggestion only for styling reasons: The small main-Menu window don't have this nice rounded corners. Maybe you could add them when making the window a little bit bigger? So everything would match perfectly together in the menus. :)

fusion_power said:
Oh, and a suggestion only for styling reasons: The small main-Menu window don't have this nice rounded corners. Maybe you could add them when making the window a little bit bigger? So everything would match perfectly together in the menus. :)
That at least is no problem, I can put a nice rounded rectangle around it, change the background of the menu items to MainBG instead of StatBarBG and increase the size of it a bit. Basicly make it look very similar to all the other menus.

The main menu was actually in the last release, but the "Configure" option didn't work. When I restyled everything I forgot about the menu.

The other thing is I'm going to add an "About" screen in the version after this to list the people who provided translations, so there will be at least one more menu item.

Something else I was considering, for a future version, was displaying the config file section headers in the config screen, so the options would be grouped. Similar to the way things are laid out in firmware 2.1.1 settings.

It would make that screen even longer, but would thematically break things up into managable chunks.

Anyway, I'll restyle the menu and then upload a new version for everyone to try. There are a few other things I've fixed or changed since the last one.

Coder said:
That at least is no problem, I can put a nice rounded rectangle around it, change the background of the menu items to MainBG instead of StatBarBG and increase the size of it a bit. Basicly make it look very similar to all the other menus.
Ok. For me it wouldn't be a color difference because I use the Color of the Statusbar BG as Main BG Color, fits better with an blue BG picture.

I have noticed to, that sometimes you use rounded menu option highlight selectors (like in the button configs) and sometimes not (like in the BG-color configs). Could be equal I think. :)

I'll waiting for the new release. ^^

fusion_power said:
I have noticed to, that sometimes you use rounded menu option highlight selectors (like in the button configs) and sometimes not (like in the BG-color configs). Could be equal I think. :)

I'll waiting for the new release. ^^
You're right, they should be the same.

The next test version of Greader2x has een uploaded Here

This fixes a few problems and has some cosmetic changes, they are:

Changes to the main menu.
Standardised highlighters in the config routines.
Added routines to edit DocBase & AudioBase in the config.
Added <None> option to the background & Language editors.

Enjoy.

Coder said:

Enjoy.

404 - file not found ^^""

fusion_power said:
Coder said:

Enjoy.

404 - file not found ^^""

Appologies, Here. I Mistyped the URL

Or any of the URL's given in this thread will download the latest version.

Everything is working fine. :)
The white outline frame of the main Menu is thicker than the white frame of the options menu....yes, I'm a litle bit Pixel-pedantic. :lol:
In the option for the scroll bar position I can choose between "yes" and "no"... "right" and "left" would fit better maybe? ^^

fusion_power said:
Everything is working fine. :)
Good, because I'm going to release this version in a day or so. There've been relatively few bugs found, so I'm fairly confident there's no nasties waiting to bite when it's released.
fusion_power said:
The white outline frame of the main Menu is thicker than the white frame of the options menu....yes, I'm a litle bit Pixel-pedantic. :lol:
Heh. Ok, I put it on a diet and it has slimmed down to match the rest. :)
fusion_power said:
In the option for the scroll bar position I can choose between "yes" and "no"... "right" and "left" would fit better maybe? ^^
Yeah, that would be better, but it'll have to wait a while. I'll need to get translations for left/right into all the languages GReader now supports.

just make a thread about lang files and let us the users create the files for each language. then just make sure the syntax/filespec is A OK (could save you alot of work)

Back