Ram Optimizer?

purple_goat

Website
purplegoat25.deviantart.com
I know my computer can perform better, and I am moving loads of files (new comp) and I wanted to know what your guys favorite ram optimizer is. So, what is your favorite ram optimizer?

Unless he's using a 64-bit OS, I'd suggest not to install more than the 2GB he has already, as it could actually slow down the machine.

I agree that rebooting is the best ram optimiser tho'

Have you tried overclocking?

If you just want to clear some RAM, RAM Idle should do the job.

Squidge said:
Unless he's using a 64-bit OS, I'd suggest not to install more than the 2GB he has already, as it could actually slow down the machine.

I agree that rebooting is the best ram optimiser tho'

Have you tried overclocking?
Duh! silly me, I didn`t even see his machines spec written in his sig. I do agree with you Squidge, That 2gig should be plenty. Have you thought about changing the size of your swap/page file ?, Assuming you are using windows.

Change it to a fixed size that is about equal to the amount of ram you have, If you have 2gig and over, And 1.5 times the ram if you have less than 2gig.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I used to use ram optimizers all of the time. They're generally a waste of time. I used to have them set up to run before I opened up a RAM intensive game, and would run one after I finished playing on one too.
But you shouldn't over use them at all, as stuff is stored in RAM for a reason - to make your pc faster.

exactly, all those "optimizers" are really just a bunch of voodoo crap, they fill ll the ram and so move everything to the swap file, as soon as a program trys to do something again it will have to be loaded back into ram, slow.

The german pc magazine ct did a test on various "ram optimizers" some time ago, and in the best case they wont make your pc much slower than it already is....

Disk defragmenters are a waste of time. You spend longer defragging than what you gain by using the defrag tool. For example, a typical program may load a second or two faster after defraging the harddrive for an hour. You therefore need to launch that program between 1,800 and 3,600 times before the next defrag to actually gain any benefit whatsoever from that defrag... Not worth it! Just replace the PC in a couple of years instead.

Oh, and copying files does affect your ram. Windows likes to cache everything - so copy some bigs files around, and they'll be cached in memory, whilst windows throws the entire contents of all your running applications to the swap file, assuming your not using them. Next time you click on them in the task bar, it takes half an hour for them to open as windows grabs all that data back and decides to throw away parts of the cached file instead.

trooper said:
PerfectDisk here, Been using it for years. Very fast, And seems to do the job very well.

Trooper
I used perfect disk for years too :D i find defraging good after moving or deleting a folder with alot of files or uninstalling some useless programs.

i used 3 ram optimizers in the past had to format the computer shortly after as it became to slow.

the best ram optimiser is still reboot

if your playing games and need a tiny bit of ram (like 12mb more) i like to ctrl+alt+delete to load up the task manager click on processes and end explorer.exe then after the game just ctrl+alt+del again click on new task and type explorer.exe to bring it back up.

Squidge said:
Disk defragmenters are a waste of time. You spend longer defragging than what you gain by using the defrag tool. For example, a typical program may load a second or two faster after defraging the harddrive for an hour.
i'm confused... do you mean an hour of defraging or do you mean that after running your computer for an hour (upon defraging), you lose the benefits of the defrag? (i'm assuming you meant the former because the latter doesn't make sense to me).

When you do defrag your computer, don't you wait until you're heading to bed or leaving your computer for a while? If you're not using it, you waste no time.

Why does 3 gigs of ram slow you down on a 32 bit OS? I'm running 3 gigs at work and yeah, my machine sure does crawl sometimes... Is this the cause?

Back