Ram Upgrade

SephirothIce

Website
Visit site
I have heard a lot of talk about it and it must have went on during my extended break from GP32. Anyway I want to know who has done it, and if it actually helps anything? Anyway is their any tutorial or faq for upgrading the GP's ram.

But actually...
The software should also be good with the ram upgrade..
And it should be optimized or it won´t work...

Linux users should do it otherwise....

Wait till the software ccomes out and it should work with the ram upgrade....

I think you DON'T need it.

As the GP32 is not THAT powerful. It can only at maximum fully emulate the SNES en GENESIS or MAYBE the jaguar. (wich is doubtful)

For Snes en Genesis emulators 8 meg should be JUST enough.
(maybe by using swapfiles in some extreme cases.)

So the only thing where you should upgrade for is GP32 programs and games.

There is one thing i can say about that:

My amiga 1200 has only 2MB and has MANY more beautiful games and great software than the GP32 that has FOUR times as much RAM (!).

And with coders as frantic as GP32 coders i think you dont have to worry about this megabyte mayhem.

Tales of Phantasia and Starocean I can´t play them because the ram issue..

Is it worth then...

It´s not to expeensive to do it...

And it´s not hard....
at least 32 ram should be fine...

Its a bit of wait and see. If GPAdvance reaches full potential. extra ram would be nice as you'd not have to wait for the dynamic loading. That assumes, of course, that enf65 and his crew will support extra ram at some stage.

Linux might also benefit greatly from extra ram, but again that will be to the devs.

Lastly, opensnes might benefit with some games as yoyo is on the record as reporting difficulties with transperencies and shoe-horning the whole lot into 8 meg. Again, it will be up to him whether he supports more ram - maybe GBAX should send him a complimentary 32 meg BLU as a little incentive ;)

Yeah I know what you meaning...

A lot of games on gbadvance is about 16 meg big...

They take more ram I think...

Tales of Phantasia and Starocean are both more than 4 meg for snes..so it should be the ram....

If Yoyo now supports more ram...it should be great....

As more than one will uppgrade the ram in the gp32...

i would...

in my opinion its not worth doing it, for the moment anyway, as there really is nothing that supports it yet and you could damage your gp32 in the process of installing it, i did the upgrade purely because i was bored and had a stick of ram i didnt need kicking about :p

If you want to upgrade then its your choice but bear in mind it wont be useful for anything at the moment. :)

BTW: yoyo and enf65 are in contact. If everything works out fine, dynamic rom loading will be implemented into OpenSNES9x as well so we CAN play large roms.
Don't think that it will ever support Star Ocean though cause it needs more power (encrypted graphics)...

mastaboog749 posted on Jul 23 2004 at 02:09 PM said:
^ Ya but cant you put the graphics file in to? Like we do on PC emulators? They should do something like that.
Yeah - but I still don't it'll be included... lot of work to do for just one game.
And yoyo has so little time.

Maybe when he finishes the next version and somebody takes on the source code.

Last edited:
Back