Ram Upgrade?

Lunatic said:
Jonttu said:
hmmm, seems like too much of a hassle... oh well, how else could I make my panda one of a kind?
You could always bling it out a bit.

I'd love to have a shiny metallic-gold-colored case like cheap replacement faceplate on my PSP. What could I use to color the Pandora's case that way?

kingoddball: Why isn't the iPhone 3GS the "ultimate handheld device?"

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what my current "ultimate handheld device" is? The Creative Labs Zii Egg. Linux onboard, very lovely Plaszma SDK, and a wide open platform for new and interesting things .. a very nice device, imho. That will change when the Pandora is around, but the Egg craps all over the iPhone right now.

kingoddball said:
Relevance? Well.. It shows that low ram is still good and also that the iPhone is awsome!
Don't be mean. Just agree!
How well does real multi-tasking work on iPhone? ;)
And isn't iPhone 3GS running @600 MHz with 256 MB of RAM?

Laurent said:
His original post was about the iPhone not 3GS version, not sure what difference that makes in memory. That point just got lost as the thread went on.

typs lik dis said:
Lunatic said:
Jonttu said:
hmmm, seems like too much of a hassle... oh well, how else could I make my panda one of a kind?
You could always bling it out a bit.

I'd love to have a shiny metallic-gold-colored case like cheap replacement faceplate on my PSP. What could I use to color the Pandora's case that way?

Because unless you tie yourself to a mobile phone contract, it costs about £600...

torpor said:
You know what my current "ultimate handheld device" is? The Creative Labs Zii Egg. Linux onboard, very lovely Plaszma SDK, and a wide open platform for new and interesting things .. a very nice device, imho. That will change when the Pandora is around, but the Egg craps all over the iPhone right now.

Too bad the Zii's 3D is pathetic compared to what's in the 3GS.

Laurent said:
kingoddball said:
Relevance? Well.. It shows that low ram is still good and also that the iPhone is awsome!
Don't be mean. Just agree!
Quite well with backgrounder and mQuickDo :)

Exophase said:
torpor said:

Too bad the Zii's 3D is pathetic compared to what's in the 3GS.

Also, apparently no dual boot with Android, it's one or the other. Kind of a let down, since it would have been awesome to have both on one machine. Still contemplating it as I need a new PMP.

I know the 3Gs is better... But I decided to buy a Pandora over the 3Gs, so the 3G is still the best thing in my right pocket!
Yes, 3Gs is better. But until I blow $800+ on another phone, I like my 3G.

My iphone is not too bad a multi tasking. Exactly as Laurent said, as long as you have the right software it works. Even backgrounder (BigBoss I think made it) works well for me.

kingoddball said:
Yes, 3Gs is better.
In what way do you think the 3GS is better than (I'm assuming you mean) the Pandora? Because if you say anything other than "it's a phone" I can guarantee you you're wrong.

WizardStan said:
In what way do you think the 3GS is better than (I'm assuming you mean) the Pandora? Because if you say anything other than "it's a phone" I can guarantee you you're wrong.

If it's really the same CPU as that Samsung SoC then that means the Cortex-A8 is rated 200MHz higher and has both twice as the L1 cache as the one in Pandora. It's also well know that it has an SGX535 which is better than SGX530. So I think your guarantee isn't very sturdy.

Besides, from the context of his post he was clearly saying 3GS is better than iPhone 3G, not Pandora.

EDIT: Gah, inaccurate sources saying Samsung S5PC100 has 512KB of L2 cache >_<

Exophase said:
If it's really the same CPU as that Samsung SoC then that means the Cortex-A8 is rated 200MHz higher and has both twice as the L1 and twice the L2 cache as the one in Pandora. It's also well know that it has an SGX535 which is better than SGX530. So I think your guarantee isn't very sturdy.
Do you honestly believe kingoddball knows any of that? I'm asking why HE thinks it's better, not why you know it's better. Trust me, I was going somewhere with that.

He was saying 3GS is better than original iphone, that's the way I read it anyway

WizardStan said:
Do you honestly believe kingoddball knows any of that? I'm asking why HE thinks it's better, not why you know it's better. Trust me, I was going somewhere with that.

Are you so certain he doesn't? Those numbers aren't exactly super technical, especially the clock rating. Besides, if he would have just said "it has a better processor" he would have had a justifiable point.

Not that it matters since you misunderstood him anyway ;P

Exophase said:
Not that it matters since you misunderstood him anyway ;P
Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last :p

Not sure if this is crasy but there are hacking pads, a memory mod by i2c? possible?

Enverex said:
typs lik dis said:

Because unless you tie yourself to a mobile phone contract, it costs about £600...

But what amount of money is equal to a given feature? They're incomparable if the features are sufficiently important to a user. If the compass and OMAP3 upgrade are absolutely essential to a user's purposes, the 3GS is unquestionably closer to that user's ultimate device than is the original iPhone 3G regardless of price. I'd rather ask what the best device is with certain features at a certain price point and time than bring up price/performance among intrinsic features, even if it's useful when shopping. Anyway, the original point of my post is moot now, because kingoddball's claim has gone from "the ultimate handheld device" to "the best thing in his right pocket."

Evan~NL said:
Not sure if this is crasy but there are hacking pads, a memory mod by i2c? possible?

Apparently the fastest i2c runs is 3.4Mbit/s

I think swap on the SD would be faster than that. :p

Aninhumer said:
Evan~NL said:

Apparently the fastest i2c runs is 3.4Mbit/s

I think swap on the SD would be faster than that. :p

and if i could send it parralel?

Tor said:
My N800 has 128MB RAM and I run the applications I want. It's fine. 256MB will be like going from 1GB to 2GB on a desktop Linux computer: Nice, but not earth-shattering. And nice, as in not really wanting for more, for normal use cases.

Hum, I do must say that I would really find 128 Mb in the N800 "just that tad to low".
Especially when browsing you need to avoid having lot in the background, it's really hurts performance, but indeed seldom lock or errors out.

Back