Ram Upgrade?

Originally I was just saying the Orig iPhone's are great even though they only have 128mb. Which was meant to mean that the Pandora would be freaken awesome with the 256mb ram.

But on the topic of why the iPhone/s are the best. They're Apple! OSX is King.
Simple and Happy!

I do have a Linux distro running under Parallels.

ALSO!
Whilst everyone is talking about iPhone and now I've mentioned Apple (I'm sure people will start flaming Apple and OSX), what is a good linux distro to run?

But it will only be run under Parallels or VMware, not as a full install system.

I have not used Linux in years (last distro I used was Knoppix, which I still enjoy and DSL (damnSmall Linux) for some fun.

I want to develop and get involved more in Linux to help and use Pandora better.
Is it possible to use XCode (osx) to delelop for Pandora? Are there any guides? I did a Google Search and found.. Nothing.

Terminal Commands are not te same as Linux, are they? I know some terminal commands. The best command is "say" !

Ubuntu is the most popular currently, and there is a fair chance we will actually see it in some form on the Pandora eventually as a 3rd-party drop-in OS. Gentoo will also be one that will make it onto the Pandora. It is a good build-from-scratch system if you have the time for compiling. I personally like Arch with LDXE. It feels faster, and I control exactly what gets installed on my system. It is 686/amd64 compatible only, though.

Overall I'd probably suggest Ubuntu for someone who hasn't used linux in a while, depending on what your preferences are.

I believe that terminal commands on OS X and many linux distros are very similar. OS X is a Unix system and Linux is Unix-like. Someone else will have to tell you for sure, though. I don't own an OS X system.

What about Fedora (KDE)?
I had Ubuntu on my ps3. Crap In my oppinion.

Can you get Gentoo with KDE? I don't like gnome.

kingoddball said:
What about Fedora (KDE)?
I had Ubuntu on my ps3. Crap In my oppinion.

Can you get Gentoo with KDE? I don't like gnome.
There is a gentoo-on-pandora project running, and there has been discussion about KDE, even very recently. Search is your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polossatik said:
Tor said:
My N800 has 128MB RAM and I run the applications I want. It's fine. 256MB will be like going from 1GB to 2GB on a desktop Linux computer: Nice, but not earth-shattering. And nice, as in not really wanting for more, for normal use cases.

Hum, I do must say that I would really find 128 Mb in the N800 "just that tad to low".
Especially when browsing you need to avoid having lot in the background, it's really hurts performance, but indeed seldom lock or errors out.
I should have qualified that with one important point: I'm using the original Opera browser and not MicroB for day-to-day browsing. If I use MicroB I must indeed be a bit careful with how much I have running. It seems to eat about twice as much memory compared to Opera.

I'm talking about a Linux Distro to run on my MacBook virtualized. I've been to the KDE Gentoo for Pandora thread. I'm looking forward to that aswell.

I was trying to get an oppinion for a developing Linux platform or close to.
I've been looking into using Apple Xcode, but at this point I have not found much.

kingoddball said:
I'm talking about a Linux Distro to run on my MacBook virtualized. I've been to the KDE Gentoo for Pandora thread. I'm looking forward to that aswell.

I've been looking into using Apple Xcode, but at this point I have not found much.

Someone in the Development section was trying to get it up and running on Apple using Xcode I believe.
Have a look at the PandoraPanic thread, it should be pretty much on the last page from what I remember.
Hope I'm not leading you astray. ;)

kingoddball said:

Sorry, I must have misread somewhere. You have my apologies.

Back