Ran Out Of Boards?

korky

Still Fresh
Craigs latest tweet: "Have to sleep. Piles and piles of completed units. Now ran out of boards, next delivery thur/fri." I hope this means the remaining 3000 boards are on their way along with the gazillions of cases from China! Is this the case, no pun intended? :eek:)

i thought they had 1400 (700 which needed to be fixed and 700 with the fix applied in texas) boards but only 1000 cases .

rest of the cases will be ordered next week :(

Well, one good side of being not in the first 1,000 is that we are receiving a perfect Pandora, since they are solving the small issues they encountered with the first ones. Also, we will have all the emus ready to roll.

Really hope this doesn't takes much longer... I have a pair of 16GB SD cards ready and ordered a screen protector today, any other Pandora gear I'm missing? Once it arrives I want to have everything ready to use it non-stop until I die.

My interpretation:

- They had 700 boards (all of which required wifi modding)
- They had 1,000 cases
- The 700 boards have been wifi modded, and are now in 700 completed Pandoras
- They now have 300 cases waiting for boards
- 700(?) more boards will arrive from Texas this week
- This will let them build 300 more Pandoras, then we wait for the next 3,000 cases

WOOOHOOOO! Progress is great!
And now we play the waiting game
waitinggame.jpg

Which sort of begs the question: how many have been shipped? I'm somewhere around the 350 mark in the order line, and haven't recieved a shipping confirmation email, so I'm guessing they're shipping in small batches to have time to test the units.

Yeah I can't see how hard it would be to go "oh we made X many today and shipped X many which brings the total to X". Seems like a quick and easy tweet every other day

It was my understanding that, yeah they had the first 700 boards that needed Wifi fixes, but that they also had another 800 that didnt.

That would mean they had 1500 in total. Now if they "ran out" they must have meant the other 800 were done but not shipped, so they only really had 700 in their possession and will now take a few off from building while more parts come in. Presumably the best situation is that while they're building the next 300 Pandoras to fill out the first 1000 preorders, that the guys in China will have more cases that they'll send in time for the guys in texas to be done with more boards...

At least I hope that's the situation.

Gruso said:
My interpretation:

- They had 1,000 cases
- This will let them build 300 more Pandoras, then we wait for the next 3,000 cases

http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=176%3A12-packages-207kg&catid=2%3Ablog&Itemid=2&lang=en

The batteries just got custom clearance, and will probably arrive on Monday.
700 boards are there, they have the nubs already soldered on. Another 800 boards are already populated.
The rest of the nubs are in Texas, as they are directly soldered on during population.

4000 LCDs are there. 4000 stickers are there.
10.000 speakers are there. 4000 WiFi Antennas are there.
5.000 Quick Start Manuals are in UK and also will arrive on Monday.

sounds like 1500 pandoras before they run out of boards to me (minus defectives).

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
My interpretation:

- They had 1,000 cases

Doesn't seem to mesh at all well with the idea that they'd received any pre-resistored boards from Texas though, does it?

The '800 boards already populated' quite certainly are those arriving this week.

700 boards are there, they have the nubs already soldered on. Another 800 boards are already populated.

Coming from ED's blog post directly, it seems many people just assumed they had 1500 boards but this says nothing about them being shipped, just that they were populated while only the first 700 that WM needed to do the Wifi mod on were shipped.

Monk said:
Doesn't seem to mesh at all well with the idea that they'd received any pre-resistored boards from Texas though, does it?
Nope.

@Alpha2: The 1500 misconception came from this post. I bet no one saw that coming. :D

I'm not fussed either way, these ambiguities are part of the sadomasochistic rollercoaster we're all on together. But it does make it difficult when you have to report/retract these facts on the blog. I'll just do the old report-the-new-info and wait-for-the-questions-about-the-old-info.

craigix said:
The situation is simple.

The boards are arriving in batches of about 700 at a time as they had to pause production while we did a last minute fix which resulted in far better wifi performance.

We currently have the parts for 1500 Pandora consoles to be built as soon as the Cases arrive - while we are building those the boards for the next 2000 will arrive and the building will continue.

:blink:

I bet Craig wishes he could punch those rumour-starting twits in the nose, alongside the vapourware twits. Well, it seems he COULD punch one of them. Maybe it will feature in his next video.

Gruso said:
I'm not fussed either way, these ambiguities are part of the sadomasochistic rollercoaster we're all on together. But it does make it difficult when you have to report/retract these facts on the blog. I'll just do the old report-the-new-info and wait-for-the-questions-about-the-old-info.

Sympathies, but thanks for the link all the same. It makes it SO much easier to stop my mind from reeling with the "Wha...? Whe...? But I could have SWORN that someone said....?"

Back