Raon Vega Vs Psp

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
I wana buy a new portable for emulation purposes, my 2x is great but I wanna lend it on to my little brother so he can get familiar with it since hes been eyeing it alot. Im intrested in a PSP but dont wanna go through the firmware headache, and then theres vega. Check out the specs, http://www.raondigital.com/english/product/product_s_1.asp
Netheir PSP nor Vega can play N64 properly, but the Vega can play Diablo 2 & Virtua Cop 2 no problem. Im hoping to achive some portable grim fandango,Playstation emulation, ages of empire, half life, Unreal Original & Quake 2 for portability. Check it out and tell me if its worth the $700-$800 price tag plunge.

Whoa, I've never heard of something like this. Looks cool but way too expensive.

I'm also curious how the keyboard works. :huh:

It looks really good actually, but I wouldn't pay that much money for a thing like that. Also, how will you play fps games with it without a mouse? I doubt that the pad on it can replace a real keyboard/mouse setup. Get yourself a psp if you wanna try it out. Or a second gp2x ;-)

xnopasaranx fps no big loss but cmon man, it plays diablo 2 that has me a bit sold there, if grim fandango is possible then we have a winner. Also there the big massive library of DOS games I have in my mind, I would rather play dungeons & dragons on amiga any day, but potable D&D DOS , sweet!

I`d personally try/test it out firsthand to see if it meets my expectations before handing over that amount of cash, Go see it in the flesh at a local store and ask for a demo and see what you think first, Before parting with your wad of cash.

Trooper

Worth it? It's hard to say. A lot of electronics are under-priced these days because of their mass production, so $700-800, while sounding anything but a good deal, is likely what the thing is actually worth. It seems to be as good as it gets as far as technology stands today, and if it plays all those games you like so much, why not? Does it run StarCraft? :)

Oh, I almost forgot, don't you think you'll get all sorts of inhibitions about taking it with you everywhere, knowing that it cost you a fortune? Imagine dropping it on some cement floor, :lol:

Multimedia wise it excels in audio & video, internet browsing I dont wanna do with this what so ever. For that I have my laptop. Games is the iffy part about , I niched as much browsing as possible. All what I can conferm is that it can play Diablo 2, Virtua Cop 2 and a blogger said an old version of Need for Speed but dint say what Need for Speed it was, probably the win95 one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnMI9k27xc
Virtua Cop 2

http://www.raondigital.com/data/image/006.jpg
diablo 2 & a promo for fortress blue 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit virtual cop on the go would be awesome, but id rather see house of the dead 1 and 2 (and i know 2 is hard to get to run on xp :angry: ) plus without proper keyboard some games/emulators may not function properly without key mapping

Cervante said:
I wana buy a new portable for emulation purposes, my 2x is great but I wanna lend it on to my little brother so he can get familiar with it since hes been eyeing it alot. Im intrested in a PSP but dont wanna go through the firmware headache, and then theres vega. Check out the specs, http://www.raondigital.com/english/product/product_s_1.asp
Netheir PSP nor Vega can play N64 properly, but the Vega can play Diablo 2 & Virtua Cop 2 no problem. Im hoping to achive some portable grim fandango,Playstation emulation, ages of empire, half life, Unreal Original & Quake 2 for portability. Check it out and tell me if its worth the $700-$800 price tag plunge.

Well it is almost 3X the resolution of a PSP. Of course emus don't fit widescreens well either unless you like everything squashed looking. Not sure about those "controls", may need a d-pad mod. You should test it first.

Ok its a buyer, I looked up grim fandangos & Virtua cop 2 system requirements:

Grim:
Windows 95/98 (Works on XP, tried it)
Pentium 133
2mb PCI DX7(4mb PCI/AVG Recommend)
16mb required (32mb Recommend)

VC2:
Windows 98/Me/XP
Pentium 133 MHz
4Mb DirectX 5 compatible graphics card
32Mb RAM

Virtua cop requires more than Grim fandango, im gonna be a happy camper :lol:

That thing looks like a brick, how thick is that? Is it really portable in a nice way?

Keep us updated with how it goes, i'm interested in hearing about it.

It just looks like a hugely overpriced UMPC to me (well they all are, but you can get something similar second hand for half the price sometimes), nothing special about it.

Nice looking unit... and size wise its not to bad... but the screen is hardly any larger than my Toshiba e830 Pocket PC... I think for most people they may consider it a bit of a brick... but when you think of what is packaged inside it is a reasonable trade-off.

I see the unit as more a ultra-portable work device somewhere between a laptop and a tablet... the unit does not support direct3d so your gaming will be limited. This really looks like it was built for a traveling business person with too much money, and even then I personally would rather have a small laptop like the Sony Vaio TX or TZ series.

I do have a gaming laptop Ripster, the problem is this is my morning commute & my rushour.

subwaycrowd.jpg

Playing MAME on the go is great an all but elbow space is limited as well, & sometimes im in the mood for a little time passer especially old windows 95 games.
Like diablo 2, grim fandango, ages of empire.

craigix said:
That thing looks like a brick, how thick is that? Is it really portable in a nice way?

Keep us updated with how it goes, i'm interested in hearing about it.
smh1110_25345867-thumb.jpg

anyway we can find out what benchmarks/3d marks etc it gets. that should let us have a rough idea

Back