Rate Of Wiz Defectiveness?

What condition did your Wiz come in?

• Everything worked 100%

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Some buttons wouldn't register unless if pressed from a certain angle

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Some buttons required a bit of force to press down on if pressed from (either from a certain angle,

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Some buttons were just "weird" to press down on

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Minor issues with dead/defective pixels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Major issues with dead/defective pixels

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other minor issue(s)

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other major issue(s)

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

blueshift

If you've been following my situation this thread I'm debating whether or not I should pay to have my Wiz shipped back for repairs/replacement

One thing that I'm paranoid about is the possibility of them replacing it and shipping back a new unit that has some sort of defect that's even greater than the one I currently have and than having to pay for it to be shipped back yet again. So I figured I'd make this thread to sort of get a feel for what percentage of the Wiz's arrived in what condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you'll get an accurate result from a survey like this. People are more likely to respond if they've had problems. I'll let you know what condition mine's in when it arrives.

axiomprime said:
I don't think you'll get an accurate result from a survey like this. People are more likely to respond if they've had problems.
Maybe, but this forum is used by Wiz owners in general. The person who got a defective model might be more likely to post a response. But I would think that both would be equally as likely to vote in the poll.

Mine has worked perfectly so far (got it three days ago). That's unusual for me as I always seem to end up with defective gear!!

My entire screen was covered in some static pixel noise. Solid colors would not appear solid.
My guess is it was some screen burn from the screen being left on some garbled image. Fortunately I was able to RMA it for free through ThinkGeek.
Still waiting on replacement.

ThinkGeek rocks!

blueshift said:
axiomprime said:
I don't think you'll get an accurate result from a survey like this. People are more likely to respond if they've had problems.
Maybe, but this forum is used by Wiz owners in general. The person who got a defective model might be more likely to post a response. But I would think that both would be equally as likely to vote in the poll.
The point I'm making is that a self-selecting survey attracts more people with strong feeling about something, a higher proportion of which would've acquired those strong feelings from a negative experience. Therefor your results will be skewed towards faulty units.

It's still worth doing the survey. Just bear this in mind.

DrPreston said:
My entire screen was covered in some static pixel noise. Solid colors would not appear solid.
My guess is it was some screen burn from the screen being left on some garbled image. Fortunately I was able to RMA it for free through ThinkGeek.

ThinkGeek rocks!

When you say static pixel noise, do you mean that solid colors look grainy? If so, I have the same issue, but I am not sure if it is only in our units, or if it is a global problem.

DrPreston said:

ThinkGeek rocks!
You're going to be disappointed when you get your replacement and it looks the same. They are all like that. It's just the cheap OLED panel used.

My Wiz works as well as the day it first showed up. No screen burn. No dead pixels. My only complaint is the height of the stock dpad pivot. It goes right when I want down and down when I want right sometimes.

I had an OLED screen on my old phone and that looked grainy. I think that might just be OLED.

Mine is fine except for a messed up touchscreen, doesn't work right along the edges.

MWeston said:
DrPreston said:

ThinkGeek rocks!
You're going to be disappointed when you get your replacement and it looks the same. They are all like that. It's just the cheap OLED panel used.

My Wiz works as well as the day it first showed up. No screen burn. No dead pixels. My only complaint is the height of the stock dpad pivot. It goes right when I want down and down when I want right sometimes.
I gave you the simple solution to mod the pad :) I did it and it is perfect.

DrPreston said:

ThinkGeek rocks!
Well you just returned a normal working unit. AMOLED screens all do this (they have fixed it recently for TV displays by including two TFTs per pixel) it is due to the TFTs not all outputting the exact voltage, they vary slightly. The Zune HD does not have this problem but that is a passive OLED.

Now you might get one with a bad pixel or two or even the dreaded pixel plague. You should have asked here before sending back.

DrPreston said:
My entire screen was covered in some static pixel noise.
Mine was only like that the first day and was only noticeable when most of the screen was black. Looked like a burned in image or some weird unreadable letters. But it was completely gone by the second day.

For some reason when I go into test mode and view the solid white screen I see all these vertical scan lines. It's noticeable only if you look very closely on the other colored screens. I've never noticed it while playing a game, but than again I don't think I have any games that take place in the snow.

Other minor issue : my "Down" key sqeeks a little , ( makes a sharp sound from time to time , allmost every time , xD ).

But no biggie , im still happy with my new wiz , ^^

My unit has worked since the day the day I got it (birth? lol). Anyways, the only thing I can complain about is not being able to register a diagonal press on some emulators. It's the software because the game Abuse 1.0 works fine with the D-pad.

I worry that support and s/w dev will fall off before the Wiz sees its potential. I mean, it's cool that the community is porting games and improving the emulators, but where is GPH when all this is going on?

The Wiz was my first GPH purchase, but if they can't (or won't) support their own products, It'll be my last.

My Wiz's card slot stopped ejecting a couple of months into using it.
It's on it's way back now for servicing. :(

Looks like the Dingoo gets dusted off again, but I'm still really looking forward to getting my Wiz back. :)

I got mine on Friday, and it doesn't charge. Seems to have a bum USB cable/internal pin issue - there's already a thread here with three more cases from around the same time frame. Gp2x Store hasn't replied my service request yet, so I'm weighting my options. I'd fix it myself, but I'm not good with a soldering iron!

Nekonomicron said:
I got mine on Friday, and it doesn't charge. Seems to have a bum USB cable/internal pin issue - there's already a thread here with three more cases from around the same time frame. Gp2x Store hasn't replied my service request yet, so I'm weighting my options. I'd fix it myself, but I'm not good with a soldering iron!
Where do you live, I or another forum member could fix and test it for you.

Back