Reauest To Port Fbreader

Karel Jansens

Website
Visit site
I have a request: Could someone please port FBReader (the OSS ebook reader) to the Pandora platform before December 15?

Here's the site: http://www.fbreader.org/

Sources are there; you'll notice that it has been ported to several processor families already, including the OMAP2420 on the Nokia N800.

Why before December 15? Well, I'll be leaving on an extended trip then and I don't think I can survive long without my scifi collection with me. I'd really like to take only the Pandora on this trip, but FBReader is a prerequisite for that. Unfortunately I'm a total tool software-wise, meaning that porting it myself just ain't gonna happen.

Please?

Pretty please with sprinkles on?

When ubuntu will really run on the pandora as shown in the video (and an image is shared) it will be a piece of cake ... ( or available already)

BTW : why trying to escape from Belgium ? It will be a beautiful country once they build a roof over it ...

Chero said:
When ubuntu will really run on the pandora as shown in the video (and an image is shared) it will be a piece of cake ... ( or available already)

BTW : why trying to escape from Belgium ? It will be a beautiful country once they build a roof over it ...
Apparently FBReader was rather trivial to port to Maemo, so I'm not willing to pay too much... B)

And as for Belgium, I really really hate living here. We're trying to get all our stuff together to emigrate to Thailand (I have family living there already), so that's why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karel Jansens said:
Apparently FBReader was rather trivial to port to Maemo, so I'm not willing to pay too much... B)

Ha, that's why did not took the dev :pandora1: money option :)

(for good understanding referring to thread on ITT)

Chero said:
Even whitout a roof it's pretty okay, might surprise you but most pubs have a roof here B)

if it only takes a recompilation I think you can do that yourself, upload it and take the credit for yourself :p

I'm pretty sure all dependencies are satisfied and it only needs to be compiled. It may even be possible (but not too likely) that the maemo binary will work.

MDave said:
I was only kidding about money :p if its not hard to port, then I'm sure me or someone else could do it in a days work, or less.
I was in fact not kidding about the money: I love OSS, but I can't program and I don't know how to port stuff, so I figure one of the ways I can help OSS is by actually paying people who do OSS stuff.

I thought about contacting the original developer, but the odds of him having a Pandora (already) are against me, hence my request to this community. If someone wants money to do this, I'll probably pay them. Just name a reasonable amount and a Paypal address.

meh. I guess someone can compile it for the pandora. I'll give it a try when i have mine, a quick and dirty port schould be done in no time.

Well, the pandora is going to be running Angstrom (or a close derivative), and an fbreader recipe is already available in OpenEmbedded. It really should be a matter of 'bitbake fbreader' The harder part would actually be packaging it in whatever people decide to be the default packaing format...

I would love to see FBreader on Pandora, it looks great. I would install it in my HTC, but don't seems to be a port for WM. :(

I've got a port for the GP2X (build in QEMU) but there are issues with size, GTK etc. On the Pandora, it should work out of the box.

johnx said:
Well, the pandora is going to be running Angstrom (or a close derivative) ...
Now that is what I call good news ... .

rasczak said:
...I would install it in my HTC, but don't seems to be a port for WM. :(
You could always install debian (or Angstrom-GPE or Openmoko) on your HTC ... . Runs pretty good.

Back