Received Pandora - Comparison between this one and one I received in 2011

The new paint looks fantastic and way better than the smudgy black Pandoras. 

I've tried a few emulators and yet to figure out how to get N64 and ScummVM to fill the entire screen - I'm sure I'll figure it out when I finish work today. 

Suspend to ram is absolutely awesome (back in '11 suspend to ram looked like it'd never arrive and was a big reason I chose to refund my pandora when the case cracked/lcd went - when you want to poop or play on a train suspend to ram is a must). The hinge also sucked in my previous Pandora and this hinge feels a lot more sturdy and the whole thing feels FAR better quality than the black cases. 

Sadly mine came with a duff L button. It sort of goes in and doesn't come back out unless I push it back out. Bit annoyed about this as I thought ED had stream lined the productinon line a few years back and the first thing i did was press the buttons and realised the L button was duff - before I even turned the device on. I can use it in games but because it's embedded in it's almost like a touch button (a tiny touch will trigger it rather than the satisfying click in and click out).

Don't suppose there are any diy fixes as I'm not keen to send it back to Germany then wait for it to come back. 

Besides the L button which is a slight tarnish on an otherwise great device - I am very happy. 

The new paint looks fantastic and way better than the smudgy black Pandoras.
Smudgy?
Sadly mine came with a duff L button. It sort of goes in and doesn't come back out unless I push it back out. Bit annoyed about this as I thought ED had stream lined the productinon line a few years back and the first thing i did was press the buttons and realised the L button was duff - before I even turned the device on. I can use it in games but because it's embedded in it's almost like a touch button (a tiny touch will trigger it rather than the satisfying click in and click out).

Don't suppose there are any diy fixes as I'm not keen to send it back to Germany then wait for it to come back.
When I was reassembling my case once, my trigger button kept getting stuck, just loosen the screw near the button, and it'll give it the breathing space to work properly

Yeah I found the black case felt like cheap plastic from ten years ago whereas this new case feels a lot more like new devices. 

Edit: I also received a US/Canadian power plug which was rather annoying but I was living in Canada last year so had a Canadian to UK adapter.

Oh and thanks I will try taking a look tonight. Don't suppose anyone has any pics on how to take apart the Pandora the correct way? 

Edit2: Another nit picky comment - the wifi still won't connect if MMenu is booted first. I'm really pleased by the firmware updates and new software available though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and thanks I will try taking a look tonight. Don't suppose anyone has any pics on how to take apart the Pandora the correct way?
You don't need to take the Pandora apart for the button issue, just loosening the screw is sufficient.
However, if you were actually asking as a general question, I'd go find that video from ED about replacing the LCD cable

?arodnap laer a gninepo ni hcum spleh oediv siht esoppus t'nod I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JJNWOd29tc

:) but seriously, I think I recall ED having a video showing some level of taking apart, may have just been a screen replacement, can't remember exactly...

Would be useful video though if anyone does have one

Edit: ....That'll be the one I meant, the one pmprog mentions about the LCD cable

The hinge also sucked in my previous Pandora and this hinge feels a lot more sturdy and the whole thing feels FAR better quality than the black cases.
As there were no improvements made in this area, its probably only the coating that "feels more sturdy", which will wear off over time :mellow:

However, if you were actually asking as a general question, I'd go find that video from ED about replacing the LCD cable
https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=UUXcGSUSo0TNaSGylCVidD3w

I had to look that up :)

cthulhu-of-rlyeh.jpg

...interesting... :)

[offtopic]

Wait!? They put Cthulhu in Magic: The Gathering? Why is there only one number in the bottom right?

[/offtopic]

I've tried a few emulators and yet to figure out how to get N64 and ScummVM to fill the entire screen - I'm sure I'll figure it out when I finish work today.
Ah you like distorted images.. N64 is fairly easy to configure for those that like extra fat mario..

Launch Mupen64 Config. Go to Settings then click graphic settings and it will launch the config file for the display plugin you are using.

First off  just to note leave the Screen Settings section on the top alone it should always be set at 800x480.

Edit both the Window AND Framebuffer width and height settings to either:

800x480 - Double Widescreen res

400x240 - Lower Widescreen res(Faster)

If you want it back to the correct (as the programmers intended resolution) you can set it back to

640x480 - Double Res

320x240 - Native N64 resolution(Faster).

Not sure about ScummVM since it uses touch screen distorting the graphics to fit Pandora's wide screen may mess up the touch controls.. would need to play with it.

There was a thread about scummvm and widescreen.

You can modify the startupscript or use the one I created here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9523-scummvm-latest-version-aug-2012-issues/#entry175651

Just unzip and copy the sh file to the appdatadirectory of scummvm.

Edit: The touchscreen won't be affected by this as notaz sdl scales the coordinates accordingly.

Edit2: I think djWillis wanted to update scummvm to give the option to stretch to fullscreen in the menu but didn't get around doing it.

Back