[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

Well, I only reached round 23... I remember finishing it 10 years ago with one credit :)

Well, I only reached round 23... I remember finishing it 10 years ago with one credit :)
Yeah, I never got that good. Level 15-20 is about my max on 1 credit, but I'm still going to try and step my game up and improve. A friend of mine years ago could finish it on 1 credit as well, and he told me about all the different "Easter eggs" in this game, but sadly, I can't remember a single one :p

Chris

Don't die until Level 20 to get the first secret door with tons of items for a high score :)

Sadly, I died in Level 16 when I tried today ;)

Secret Door? Easter Eggs? Looks like there's a bit more to bubble bobble than I knew about, could probably get to level 50 on 1 credit back in the day, never finished it.

Not sure Pulstar is a good choice for competition as it runs very slowly at 800Mhz on my CC Pandora.

Love the way the arcade is growing :)

Secret Door? Easter Eggs? Looks like there's a bit more to bubble bobble than I knew about, could probably get to level 50 on 1 credit back in the day, never finished it.

Not sure Pulstar is a good choice for competition as it runs very slowly at 800Mhz on my CC Pandora.

Love the way the arcade is growing :)
BB actually has "Konami" style codes that you input before gameplay, that actually give you in game extras thru out the game, as well as access to the bonus rooms. When your playing the game, everything seems to be random, but there is a reason to almost everything within game. It's crazy, especially for an Coin-Op Game.

P.S. I hope no one is using any of those codes to get an extra edge. Let's keep it clean guys/gals ^_^

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - runs slowly for me too (same machine).

The only other one I've tried is Galaxian - my score is rubbish, but it successfully updated the highscore table (I'm using the 'Namco Set 1' version).

Just out of interest: there's a couple of dialog boxes that pop up - are these meant to say anything? (they're blank for me).

just wanted to say thanks for this. really enjoying it - looking forward to more games coming online. now about that popeye? ;)

Finally found the time to play some Bubble Bobble. First game I played for three years. Didn't turn out too bad :D
Same here, I used to love this game.  I nearly won a competition in my local arcade on this game - Until the pesky arcade owners daughter beat me on the final morning of the compo :-(

CJ

Yeah - runs slowly for me too (same machine).

The only other one I've tried is Galaxian - my score is rubbish, but it successfully updated the highscore table (I'm using the 'Namco Set 1' version).

Just out of interest: there's a couple of dialog boxes that pop up - are these meant to say anything? (they're blank for me).
The dialog boxes don't show up properly; they announce what the frontend is up to, but they don't render properly yet :) Generally its fast enough I didn't sweat it, but I do need to rethink how I'd like to do it. ie: popups, or just a scrolling status window or what.. but yeah, on my long list of things to get to :eek:

jeff

Hey Jeff, is it possible to add in an offline feature?

Today I was leaving the house to get my son from school, and I don't have internet out of the house(well technically I do, but it runs kind of sap), so would it be possible for me to play a round of Ms. Pacman, then have the program save the score, and then when I get back online, have it upload my score?

Chris

You can at least start a game with a network connection, lose network connection, play the game as many times as you like, regain network, then quit the game.  In the old version that synced up scored when the front end quit you could even switch games, but unfortunately we lost that ability in trade for more rapidly updated tables.

I think a stage 1 to offline mode would at least be the abort/retry question on a failed sync, so you could at least realise you haven't got network, and alt-tab into another game until you're back on the network.  Stage 2 would be a full offline mode, with the question changing to abort/retry/do it later.

I'm still mulling 'offline-ness'; of course, I am as usual heavily reminded about how I intensely dislike DRM and always-on games (not that I'm buying crap from EA, despite SimCity once being grand.. BF3, Diablo 3, etc have taught us much.) So in general, requiring a net connection is poor, it does enable some things .. that I've taken out :eek: (live updates right into the emu and so forth.)

It does posibly help cut down on cheating if we grow bigger, but right now I have no concern.. i) small community of players, ii) no prizes on the line. But if I make offline work nicely now, then what about the future? or do we make it work in general, but always-on online for active competition games? ..

On the one hand, I think I shoudl just not worry abotu cheating and the fguture at all, make things _convenient first_; on the other, do we entertain the idea we may be competitive or get large enough that we may have cheaters, and need to be defensive?

and on the business hand.. I don't like thinking about such things :)

jeff

Sick kid, teethign kid .. forum time minimal right now :eek:

Sick kid, teethign kid .. forum time minimal right now :eek:
I'm amazed you got any of this done Jeff. I've got one kid, and it takes all of my composure to not pull my hair out. LOL When he was smaller, I had not time for anything, between work and him being sick 90% of the time. Thank God, those days are far and away at this point.

I do have a quick question while your online, Compo hangs up on me on a regular basis, is this normal? Sometime when I try to check scores it will hang, then the other day I tried to leave Ms. Pacman, and it would allow me to exit the game. I would exit, and then it would try to go back out, only to reboot the game. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Chris

The "Select Donkey Kong" button is half off the screen on my unit. Is this the same on everyones?

^

I was having similar issues on internal wi-fi with certain routers.  If you have a dongle, might be worth a try.
If it could be a router issue, I'll see about trying another one. I actually have a back up running in my house, so I'll see how it operates on that one.

Chris

Tempting to add a 'recent news' type running log.

ie: for any score that achieves a table entry (ie: top 500), post to "Recent Activity"

Which would then show

"MCO (Mcobit) achieved score #37 in Galaxian with 1234565"

... a list of that.

Or maybe any submitted score, not even ones that achieve placement.

Idea being.. "hey, whats hot right now?" or "what are peopel competing on?" .. if theres 50 games someday, then .. how do you know which to comepte in?

In an arcade, you'd see a line of people...

But right now, not so many people submitting scores.. for shame!

I think all the action is in Bubble Bobble right now :)

jeff

Back