[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

I really like mcobit icons! and I think achievements would be a nice bonus.

Is there any chance for 1942 as a next game, please?

Not sure about the idea of limiting entries.  There's very little in gaming better than just edging a higher score than your mate, only for them to edge past you the next day, repeated until one of you gives up.

I have made a little mockup of how I could imagine, the menu could look like later on:

rot_menu_mockup.png

edit: Sorry for the typo ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
mcobit .. yes, that is more or less what I've been aiming towards ;)

Game list down the left, with info-panel on the right; pick a game name, and th einfo panel changes from ROT-banner to game high score table (scrollable), plus the play button. Or buttons..

ie: Play buttons could be "Play Monthly" (if in the current season), or Play All-Time" (always available). Or maybe just 'Play' since its always one or the other (with monthyl feeding into all-time as well, I imagine.)

jeff

Not sure about the idea of limiting entries.  There's very little in gaming better than just edging a higher score than your mate, only for them to edge past you the next day, repeated until one of you gives up.
Agreed but not sure why this would be unavailable if individual entries were limited to 3 (or 5, or 10 etc.) per high score chart.

My usual nitpicking:

For next pnd release, could you edit the grey box size of the splashscreen to be in aspect wih the new splashimage?

I think, time permitting, I'd like to add a quick hiscore list pre/post emu run, for people who are not aware of the online webpages and since it'd be handy. The server side stuff is all there already (being consumed by milkshake as he works on his nicer website frontend.) It'll be just a quick hack to the existing frontend launcher, since I think it needs to be there.

But I have limited time the next little while, so no huge UI changes; I'm still not sure if I want to write a SDL frontend (like minimenu), since its all new code then (fine, but still time sunk) but could be nicer .. or go along the lines I jhave now (already done, lame, but works well enough). I'm hoping to add a couple newer games (willow? black tiger? raiden? r-type?) and a coiple goodies like Mr Do .. now the serer-side hiscore stuff is pretty stable its getting easier to drop in new games. We need to prove the table sync stuff for games with >1 score but the code looks pretty good (it leverages the single-score stuff mostly), so not a big worry.

So my short term goal is .. add the lame hiscore viewer to the launcher, and drop in a couple new games, and then rest for a bit :) Got my daughters birthday aprty to worry about, and a lot of RL work to catch up on :)

jeff

No love for Space Invaders? :)

If you do not want to write a sdl frontend from scratch you could have a look at advmenu. It is pretty customizable and it can already launch mame or any other emu you want to throw in there.

Only thing to do would be to hack in the server communication and the window for hiscores etc.

1st post tells you which version of roms to use MAME .106.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Thanks, sorry I forgot to mention I had got it working.  It was a problem with the launcher it seems as mspacman had also stopped working.  I reset the panda and it was fine.

Just another quick question --- Is it just me or are the bullets near impossible to see

Or you can make your life a bit easier and set the aspect setting in the videosettings to no, save for the current game and quit out of it. Then restart and the game will be stretched to the whole width of the screen.

The bullets are stretched, too so they are a bit thicker.

I'm screwiung with the score tables right now .. but somethign has come up, so its not fully promoted. BHe back in an hour to finish it up :)

Trying to make it so the real details are still in the leaderboard data, but only show when the name changes.. so its not to padded out with dupe-names:

ie: I gather, from people who don't want to see one name 10 times.. its just a matter of being annoying to see (muddles up the important information), or disheartening; so I'll make it suppress the redundant rows, just showing the first in the run; if theres 10 entries in a row for BOB, just show the best one (the first one, since its in decreasing order), then '...' when it changes to the next guy; keeps the list more compressed, but shows there is more detail in there.

I could make the ... clickable, to expand the list.. but trying not to put too many features here, since milkshake is working on a better page anyway :)

edit:

okay, change is in place, so it should compress the leaderboard a bit; sample:

15      BOB     drcjboduma      41480   25-Feb-2013
20      MRL     MrLoon  38140   25-Feb-2013
21      BOB     drcjboduma      35580   23-Feb-2013
23      ASM     Asmo    34540   26-Feb-2013
24      EVD     EvilDragon      32500   22-Feb-2013
25      MRL     MrLoon  31820   26-Feb-2013
26      ASM     Asmo    31630   25-Feb-2013
28      MRL     MrLoon  30330   23-Feb-2013
29      ASM     Asmo    29360   25-Feb-2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed but not sure why this would be unavailable if individual entries were limited to 3 (or 5, or 10 etc.) per high score chart.
Ah sorry, I think I misunderstood you.  I thought you meant 'three scores then that's it' in that any subsequent scores would be just ignored.  Assuming you meant 'best three scores shown' that seems much more agreeable, although at present I'm happy with skeezix's '...' implementation.

okay, milkshake bugging me in IRC, couldn't let me rest... so now I've got Donkey Kong decoded; hopefully get an hour spare time tonight, and will drop that suck in.

Damn you milkshake! <-- seems that is about 30% of the conversation over any given day, damning milkshake for something or other :)

jeff

I'm thinking Galaxian next, hopefully adding support in tonight or worst case, tomorrow night..

After that ..

Donkey Kong?

Arkanoid?

Black Tiger?

Space Invaders?

Burgertime?

So many classics.. :)
 Black Tiger would also be cool :)

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh

Just got my best score on Galaxians went to add another credit & accidentally hit the Pandora key.

Sent from my GT-I9300

^

Yeah, I've done that too.  Just hold it down until you get the option to kill process by process.  Do that 3 or 4 times and you'll get out to the desktop, easier than a restart time wise I think. 

Back