Release of entries, voting and prizes

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As we're nearing the deadline for submissions, I'll let you know what will happen after that :)

I will make huge threads (one for each category) with all entries (download links, screenshots, description) on Monday, February 18th.

Public voting as well as voting from the judges will start on Monday, February 25th and will end Monday, March 4th.

The prizes will be handed out within a few days after the voting ends.

I will also announce the judges when voting starts.

Public voting will be handled the same way it was handled for the Rebirth Competition.

The weight between public voting and the results of the jury is 50:50.

Let me know if you've got further questions :)

Same as for Rebirth Compo:

Yes. As all releases are public already, it's impossible to lock them down on that day.

But a working version has to be released at the deadline.

I just wanted to throw some prizes in the pool for winners from Ithic.com:

1st Place from Each Category gets their choice color of a Gepe CardSafe Extreme:

http://ithic.com/en/g/57-card-safe.html

2nd Place from Each Category gets their choice color of a Gepe CardSafe Mini:

http://ithic.com/en/g/55-c.html

Thanks for all the hard word, look forward to trying this new goodness out!

Also I guess you should not count on people using the latest version to review your entry.

I'm assuming updates after the deadline are mostly to fix bugs etc. At least I'm not planning on keeping up the pace of adding new features to my entry, and I hope voters are not going to judge the entries based on how well the authors respond to feature requests during the voting period :unsure:

Same as for Rebirth Compo:

Yes. As all releases are public already, it's impossible to lock them down on that day.

But a working version has to be released at the deadline.
What about having some kind moratorium during the voting phase, so no one is able to push in some feature in the last minutes ? Exceptions could be made if it is a serious bug, that pretends a big part of the voters from running it at all.

What about having some kind moratorium during the voting phase, so no one is able to push in some feature in the last minutes ? Exceptions could be made if it is a serious bug, that pretends a big part of the voters from running it at all.
It is neigh impossible to enforce that rule as you cannot differentiate between "serious bugs" and other updates (somebody might just knowingly submit a broken app just to "patch" it later).

I like the IGF (Independent Games Festival) approach (also applied here), which allows you to update your submission whenever, while only the first version is ensured to be tested by judges since they may look at it at any time (and most likely won't look again even after you submit an update).

It may not be a "hard" deadline, but if stated up-front it does not give anyone an advantage and leaves some room for critical updates (which at the same time are not guaranteed to reach everybody so you better make damn sure your first version is stable).

Btw, I think one week is not enough time to vote, just look at the abysmal numbers from the rebirth competition and how people complained back then they did not have enough time to check out every entry. Two weeks on the other hand should be more than enough for everybody to notice and review the entries.

Anyway, looking forward to the voting period.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is some extensiion time?
No, I believe the deadline posted in this thread is still correct: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11152-official-rules-and-guidelines/

So you have to submit your entry before February 15th, 11:59pm, UST

You may however submit patches after that date (nobody is stopping you from updating your repo entry). Note, that, while you can add features and fix bugs up to the end of the voting deadline (currently March 4th), some people might download your program on the 15th or 18th and therefore don't experience any patches and vote based on that. So make sure your entry is done today, don't rely on patching it.

In case someone else wants to download the non-repo entries directly on pandora from command line, use

curl -Ok <url>
The dragonbox URLs 302-redirect to https addresses, and the wget included in current firmware doesn't seem to cope with it. The https also seems to have an "insecure" cert (self-issued I'd guess), so the -k switch is needed with curl. -O just saves the file with the same filename as on the server.

I'm going to "throw in" a mystery prize for each of the "non winners"...
I know from experience, it can be a little sad to come away with nothing...  :`{

cake.jpg

disclaimer: the mystery prizes will not necessarily be this cake

disclaimer #2: and almost certainly will not be a multi-million dollar brassiere with wings.
but hey ... those are so sweet even I, DREDD, would wear one, and I'm a macho guy!  so I had to mention them

I know from experience, it can be a little sad to come away with nothing...  :`{

cake.jpg

disclaimer: the mystery prizes will not necessarily be this cake

disclaimer #2: and almost certainly will not be a multi-million dollar brassiere with wings.

but hey ... those are so sweet even I, DREDD, would wear one, and I'm a macho guy!  so I had to mention them
One of those pictures has shown up on my post regarding this over at Facebook.  Now I see where it came from.

thanks

don't thank me yet - you might win a proper prize!

(and the "mystery prize" might be rubbish - I'm a bit broke at the moment!)

One of those pictures has shown up on my post regarding this over at Facebook. Now I see where it came from.

Lol, which picture showed up?  cake or fashion show?  :)

Facebook is so random.  We should post some relevant pictures early in each thread, to avoid this kind of thing.

Can't you "remove preview" or something? Or does it add pictures to surprise you later?

By Ziz's request, I've updated my compo point tally script and set it to update this text file every hour. The script is available here if anyone wants to run it themselves or find any bugs :p

I take no responsibility if the points are not correct :D

Back