Repo rating system: 5 stars or binary ratings?

Why unbiased? The software we hope to get on the repo shouldn't be neutral on average, it should be good on average :)

If something really stinks, it will be clear enough when it gets only dislikes and no likes. No need to introduce "strongly dislike" imo.
Trouble is, "good" is subjective - its value depends on who you ask. For some, good means, works, for others, good means works AND is useful. Doubtless there are many other options.

Scoring systems like this are also tainted by possible contradictions between interpretation and intent. What is the intent of the current system? Is it to score the "quality" of the port, the quality of the port and the functionality of the software etc etc. And how will a user interpret the score and how will this differ from the intent of the scoring system? For some, the fact that the software runs is enough to give it 5 stars, for others, 5 stars is only an option if the port makes the toast, runs AND does the laundry.

My humble thoughts are that the scoring system needs "guidance", so that the scores are submitted with "consistent" intent. I think the repo should actually have a dual scoring system - quality of port (all screens & dialogues optimised, etc etc) and quality of functionality/performance. The trouble is, the more complex the scoring system is, the less it will be used  :wacko:

I agree with the idea of a guided rating system.  The current system is too arbitrary and subjective.

One thing to consider though is that once a new system is in place the existing ratings would need to be cleared in order for future ratings  to be meaningful.

- Neelix

If you dont want too much focus on the ratings then at least encourage people to post feedback as comments. I usually read comments more than I care about the rating.  But often there are NO comments on new uploads (and no ratings either). 

This being said it's hardly surprising. The standard rate for feedback is about 0.1-0.5% online, so unless you have something like 200 to 1000 downloads you are not likely to get a single comment on your application.  

But that kind of rate is a little disappointing for a community that takes pride to be "open" and "collaborative", seriously. How many people responding to this thread actually post comments and ratings? Very few, probably. 

Instead of complaining, please start by showing the example :)

how about an asked rating before downloading an update with pndmanager ?

In this case the app was already installed and maybe used, so it can have a value... this is naturally limited to who will use pndmanager, and to apps that actually have updates, but it should be better than nothing, and not so intrusive

In this case the app was already installed and maybe used, so it can have a value... this is naturally limited to who will use pndmanager, and to apps that actually have updates, but it should be better than nothing, and not so intrusive
Buuut... What if the new version is MUCH better than the old one? In that case, the manager automaticly updates a better version, but you vote for the worse one...

Buuut... What if the new version is MUCH better than the old one? In that case, the manager automaticly updates a better version, but you vote for the worse one...
I know, but I can't find other ideas to make the vote happen after trying the app, leaving the rating system outside the app...  :(  

DV4SFIn.png

Similar?

No it goes like this -

0                    5                     10                    99

Microsoft        Nintendo         Sony               Pandora

:p

What if I prefer Nintendo to Sony? (Microsoft won't move from his last place  :D )

What if I prefer Nintendo to Sony? (Microsoft won't move from his last place  :D )
I prefer Nintendo to Sony, but I'm being realistic - SONY is in a better position than Nintendo right now. And of course Pandora beats all, no matter what! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
We need objective ratings from users who have subjective opinions!

We must force everyone to rate, without forcing anyone to do anything!

We need a simpler rating system, with less options to choose from, but with more options to make the votes more specific!

Sounds easy enough ...

<ranting>

I know it will be useless the grave dig this subject.

Still, I'm really fed up by this

1star.png

Seriously, with the hours I have spend to make zandronum, gstreamer, and everything work so thoses PND are plug'n play, having this kind on negative rating...

Really, I, again (and for nothing, I know, nothing will change) ask to REMOVE the 5 stars rating from the repo and to have instead a simple "thumb-up" count (and the comment zone to report broken PND).

</ranting>

Don't worry Seb

i personally (and i think many many others) appreciate your hard and great work.

Simply just ignore voting from this user.

<ranting>

I know it will be useless the grave dig this subject.

Still, I'm really fed up by this

1star.png

Seriously, with the hours I have spend to make zandronum, gstreamer, and everything work so thoses PND are plug'n play, having this kind on negative rating...

Really, I, again (and for nothing, I know, nothing will change) ask to REMOVE the 5 stars rating from the repo and to have instead a simple "thumb-up" count (and the comment zone to report broken PND).

</ranting>
WHat you should be rather asking for is to ban CCF who systemtically rates 1/5 everything he does not like + everything that he can"t be bothered to make it work.

Back