Repo rating system: 5 stars or binary ratings?

I think its this CCF Typ.

He gives on the Pandora much to faast bad Stars.

Read the Comments on the Dungeon Keeper PND in the Repo.

This CCF Guy ,make too often bad Comments.

Thank you Farox.

Problem I see is also what other (new comers or someone just taking a look) will think a plateform/repo with so many bad rating and comment about not working. For an external eyes, it just does the impression of a bad plateform with crappy support.

This CCF Guy ,make too often bad Comments.
Yeah, he rated Starcraft 1/5.... Obviously nobody else thinks that Starcraft was crap...
Yeah exactly. That make no sense, the port is flawless (and a superb achievement). Just because he doesn't want to follow simple instructions to copy game data, he gives bad rating. With just "thumbup" kind of rating, this would not happen.

Still, what image does that give to the "outside world of the OpenPandora" ?

I'm against banning CCF.

He has the right to express his opinion.

When his opinion is valued by the system more than it should be, then it's the fault of the system displaying the opinions, not his.

Edit: So yes, change the fucking system.

Last edited by a moderator:
before having a pandora I was liking the idea to get a rating system, but nowadays, I just keep looking at all the new release and the rating is more or less useless for me. removing it seems like a good idea. using instead a simple "like" button or using the dowload numbers seems to be a better idea.

before having a pandora I was liking the idea to get a rating system, but nowadays, I just keep looking at all the new release and the rating is more or less useless for me. removing it seems like a good idea. using instead a simple "like" button or using the dowload numbers seems to be a better idea.
Download numbers are bad because of people downloading it multiple times. If download numbers are used, then the first time a logged in user downloads a .pnd should count, downloads of updates shouldn't count and non-logged in downloads shouldn't never be counted.

Download numbers are bad because of people downloading it multiple times. If download numbers are used, then the first time a logged in user downloads a .pnd should count, downloads of updates shouldn't count and non-logged in downloads shouldn't never be counted.
That or reset that counter after an update... all people using this PND will redownload it using PNDmanager...

Is there any way a system could be implemented that required you to comment before you upgrade an app?

If you are upgrading you have used the previous release and now trying out a newer version so are in a position to put up a comment.

If you are upgrading it also shows you are actively using the app.

Is there any way a system could be implemented that required you to comment before you upgrade an app?

If you are upgrading you have used the previous release and now trying out a newer version so are in a position to put up a comment.

If you are upgrading it also shows you are actively using the app.
No, it's a free world. If you don't want to comment, don't.

I prefer to have comment, but I don't want to get forced ones.

It is a free world and that is why CFF can give 1 star if he wishes.

Deleting his posts or removing his ratings would make the system open to abuse.

It is a free world and that is why CFF can give 1 star if he wishes.

Deleting his posts or removing his ratings would make the system open to abuse.
Yeah I can also remove my badly rated pnd from the repo if I am too pissed off, it's a free world.

I am not against comments, positive or negative. But that rating irritate me sometimes.

Anyway, as I wrote at the beginning, I don't expect anything to change. Just wanted to expurge my frustration of that serial 1star rate after all the time I spent on thoses games.

Comment are fine, 1 star rating, on a free something, it is just here to hurt the feeling of the one that spend time making it.

Yeah I can also remove my badly rated pnd from the repo if I am too pissed off, it's a free world.
You certainly can and I don't blame you for that.

I feel that forcing people to comment isn't too much to ask if they are getting the use of free software.

I have tried to comment on any software I have used be it positive of negative.

Maybe open up the comment box but then have an option to skip it but post in the apps comments that user X downloaded this but put a no comment next to their name in the comments field.

Surely a couple of words isn't going to take too much time out of someones' day.

I feel that forcing people to comment isn't too much to ask if they are getting the use of free software.
Comments aren't just there for "Great stuff!" or "Fuck this!"  An older use of comments is to say something about the topic when the commenter has something to say.  If they do not have something to say, neither they nor the software uploader will benefit from them saying "gr8 thx this text is at least 50 characters htis text is at least 50 characters this-" just because they're forced to.  No, all of the worthless comments nobody wanted would simply help to drown out the messages from people who had something to say.

How I figure it I'm free to make comments on his choice of poor rating as they're generally rated as such because of his general lack of understanding of how it works or that he is required to copy data files(compile as he states it) to a directory or simply not reading the instructions.

If anything he is a sure fire way of getting a better rating as people will vote to counter his vote. which is sad as I take it most wouldn't spend the time to vote otherwise.

I'd remove ratings altogether and just keep comments. The Pandora repo is small enough that you don't need ratings to help people discover software. Large mainstream app stores need ratings because they're inundated by thousands and thousands of applications that do the same thing and there's not enough hours in the day to sift through all of them. It's different here though, there are only 1337 PNDs at the time of this writing and they're spread over many specific categories. If someone's looking for say a strategy game, they can peruse everything available in no time.

Do we need meta-rating?

e.g. Every rating must be accompanied by a comments, and comments can be rated up or down

Ratings that get voted down would have less of an effect on the overall score

Back