Request: More Action like on the Good old Pandora Days

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Do you remember? In the Pandora (and GP2X) Days, whe had lots of Blogs, Youtube Channels,
The Boards got a lot more travic, etc..

Now: Some Newsposts, some Videos from @EvilDragon , and from @matzesu , and the most Porting Stuff was done by @ptitSeb
I remember par exemple the Pandora Today from @Screeny, and the English Pandora Blog, , but nothing yet on Pyra..

Might be its too early, and the whole Community Stuff will happen again when more Peaple will have a Pyra, but im still a bit confused about this..

Oh and i would apriciade a bit Competition on Pyra Videos, you dont need a HDMI Grabber, or Cutting Experience, i make One Shot Videos since more than one Year .. ^^

A Coding Competition sounds Nice.

Yes we do have not realy regulary Newsposts from ED.

...Maybe we need a Newswriter for News in every 2 Weeks.

This Time interresting News are:
-Linux-Swat is working on a new Slackware for Pandora
-EvilDragon is still very busy by assembling Pyras
-a New ScummVM Version is out from @b.o.b
-PtisSeb is working on newer Versions of Gl4es and Emulators
-Ingoreis got PaleMoon Browser working from the
Raspberry OS but still no good 2D Acceleration for Youtube
-Matzesu is thinking about new Pyra Videos and more Action about the Pyra in a new Thread :)
-a Pyra User is experimenting about new cooling Solutions.

News like this.

I think we do not use enough Platformes.
With the German GP2X Forum in the Past we reached many German Users.

Maybe i can make Some Videos with my tiny Action Cam but Sound will be horrible and Videoquality is not realy good on her.

But a A Coding Competition is a nice Idea.

It is very silent about the Pyra.

It is very silent

Well, i film by Aiming an Iphone XR that it clampt in to a Smartphone Tripod Adapter to the Pyra which is holding by a Nintendo 3DS Holder from Kid Icarus Uprising, and the Microphone is my JBL True Wireless Headphones, some times the Sound from the Pyra gets also recorded, but some times its not hearable.., so even your Action Cam cant be much more worse..

- HNS is working on the Audio Issue, according to EvilDragons Dragonbox Discord ^^

But whit ScummVM, i ditnt wrote, and there is no DBP on the Repo yet..

Whe should also write more in the German Part of the Boards to show that its still existing..

The big difference is that my main job with the Pandora at the beginning was handling the community, news posts, etc.
So I had a lot of time to do that.

These days, I have to handle the full production besides other stuff, so with the issues we need to solve, there's no time left to handle that.

But I'm happy to support anyone who wants to do that. Whoever wants to post news can be connected with me via WhatsApp or Discord, ask some questions and I'll reply to them :)

I'll also support any coding competition, of course :)

-a New ScummVM Version is out from @b.o.b
Just to be clear and give credits where credit is due. A new ScummVM version is compiled on a Pandora by Farox and the fix created by digitall from the ScummVM team. I only reported the issue.

I do think it is nice to have a fully working new version though, certainly newsworthy :)

Well like i said in another thread, i really miss this days, full of releases, discovery, discussions, thank's a lot @matzesu for this thread.

I'm very curious about one thing ....where is Notaz?
I always loved his great contributions to the Pandora and GPH days, a true genius. He devloped many great things that had made the Pandora great.

I remember during the wait for the Pandora I got fed up reading the ire that was going on here, and got my news instead from rssing to drobe. We has until fairly recently Ekianjo reporting on the pyra news as it dropped, but then he lost interest it seems and started posting more about porting games to x86 linux, and now has pivoted to talking almost exclusively about the steamdeck. I remember what caused me to put up my money for a second batch pandora (and later paid the extra to get a 1GHz pandora from ED) was a video I think filmed by Notaz but I can't remember what he showed. I don't think it was an emulator and I think it was before he ported Starcraft 2 by kind of doing what box86 does but done once then patched up by hand. Trying to think back I think I'm mixing up that video shot by Vcoleiro01 showing Neverwinter Nights being displayed from his PC on his prototype Pyra hardware.

Hi all,

It's one thing to lament about the good old days (they won't be coming back), but another completely to act and change things.

So what can we do as a community to make these boards lively again ? I've had my Pyra for over a year now but it's been collecting dust for the most part (and that makes me really sad).

I just don't have any fun with my Pyra (yet), for reasons listed elsewhere. No fun = zero motivation to port my small collection of PNDs over:

Let alone trying to port something new.

The snake bites its own tail, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers, Magic Sam

EDIT: sorry for the sad tone, I'm having a rough time

Last edited:
I always loved his great contributions to the Pandora and GPH days, a true genius. He devloped many great things that had made the Pandora great.
Yes i do miss him too.

I do not know whats with him.
One of my Feelings is that we do not realy have some "LowLevel Devs" for the Pyra.

The Omap5 Tiler is one of the Problems why the HDMI Port is not working.
Some Users try now to fix the Audio System for more Performance and lower CPU Power Consumtion.

We are happy to have @ptitSeb as "Serial Porter" here and he is doing great magic Things for us...Thanks to him here again :)

The only "lowLevel Dev" i do know which is bit more active here is @hns

@Magic Sam
Sometimes i do feel like you.
-The Pyra Keyboard is much more Tiny and more Difficult to use than the Pandora Keyboard for my big Fingers
-Its realy sadly that TI never released the Omap5 Mobile Version like promised and that the Reason why we used the "Omap5 Desktop CPU"
-because of that the Pyra get very warm in your Hands and you cannot charge here While Using because the Heat Protection
-The Texts in the Screen are more Tiny to read and we get all older and older
-we do not realy have good optimized Browsers who you can play Youtube in 720p
-My Firefox here do not have Sound and Chromium is with GL4ES little better but even for Netflix and Disney Plus tooo slow because that 2D/3D Accerleration do not work right

I do still waiting for another CPU Board Upgrading but maybe there is another Problem because we used Omap5 Tiler and maybe other CPUs do not have this Feature.

My Knowledge is maybe good enough to port some Tiny or easy compiling Software but there are many Software Whishes from me like a native Pyra compiled Palemoon Browser and all bigger things failed to compile here..its Linux :)

@Magic Sam
Do not give up the Pyra..the Time when you want to compile Software..you will have more fun with her in the Future..
..these are only the beginning of the OS.

Maybe someone release an Android LineageOS Port for us too..
..why ever only Linux :)

Yes i do miss him too.
I do not know whats with him.

He updated pcsx_rearmed to v23 a month ago, so he is still alive and kicking.

It will be a long time before I can afford one, but I really enjoy hearing about what you are all doing with your Pyrae. Keep it up!

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Hi all,

It's one thing to lament about the good old days (they won't be coming back), but another completely to act and change things.

So what can we do as a community to make these boards lively again ? I've had my Pyra for over a year now but it's been collecting dust for the most part (and that makes me really sad).

I just don't have any fun with my Pyra (yet), for reasons listed elsewhere. No fun = zero motivation to port my small collection of PNDs over:

Let alone trying to port something new.

The snake bites its own tail, at least as far as I'm concerned.
I for one would be sad to lose Dave Gnukem with my Pandora. I guess we could badger ptitseb to build it for our Pyras, but since it's history is with you, I'd rather wait until you feel able, unless you want to bow out completely.

Part of the problem is that these days I can watch people retro gaming on their steam decks, or on their GPD devices, or on that RG-GBA clone thingy. Back when the Pandora came out, I'd just been using medniafen to play GBA Fire Emblem (Sacred Stones I think) again on my laptop, but the idea of playing it and other retro games on something you can slip in your pocket seemed completely new. In terms of getting this place busier, I'm at a loss. The Off-topic section is relatively busy thanks in the main to @Null and @JDTAY, but I guess most people use twatter and farcebook for that these days. In terms of the rest of the stuff, I've stopped posting in ED's news threads in the main since I don't have much worth adding currently. There seems to be a blip in ptitseb's posting work currently, but he kept us busy in testing out new stuff for more than a year, so I can't complain if he's spending more time in box86/64 currently.

It's natural that this time around is less exciting. It seems most of us are from a certain generation that experienced all the amazing video game innovation. So we're a fixed demographic that would need to stay excited, which is especially hard since many of us are getting over the hill.

I'm still very much excited. It's just that there's nothing particularly to discuss, until more people start working on and/or modding their Pyrae.

I don't know what transpired, but I'm a little curious what a difference having a common "villain" (for the Pandora) may have made in helping rouse a passionate commumity. I also miss zombie attacks in the news tthread almost as much as miss having actual news (and it wouldn't be fair to bother ED directly for any).

But yes, the world has changed quite drastically since the project started, as have many people's priorities, and there are some similarish devices.

In the Pandora days, i ditnt had that much other stuff to keep me busy when i was on tour: I have now also an E-Book Reader which also fit in my Pocket (might be im the only wone who carrys an E-Book Reader like it were a Phone)..,
So i played Pandora even on the Bus, or when i was whit my Dad on a Car Journy, or in the Waiting Room from the Doctor .. or on booring Familiy Partys..

I was starting to play more Pyra the week bevor i lost the Savegames, , a bit Metal Slugg 1 on the Neo Geo Emulator, but i want this to be a lot more..

But yes, the world has changed quite drastically since the project started, as have many people's priorities, and there are some similarish devices.

I think this nails it. In the early Pandora years the GP2X / Wiz / Cannoo were still being sold or at least actively used. The GP32 community was a retrogaming/homebrew community and not tied to one device. A lot of users (like me) wanted an open gaming handheld with a keyboard. The Pandora was the only one available and basically a revolution (albeit a niche one). In that regard the Pyra isn't a revolution but an evolution. Great improvements and I am sure that once some of the issues are sorted out it will be a joy to use - but clearly doesn't spur the same excitement as once the Pandora did.

Maybe ED should have focused the forum more on retrogaming in general. His shop is basically screaming retro all over the place but the forum doesn't have a clear focus and then it is basically a forum for one niche device with only a few hundred delivered and some lost Pandora souls.
Being the latter, I am quite pleased though. Years of development has created a ton of fantastic optimized software and due to its openness still able to improve it. Not as exciting as it used to be maybe but there is something to be said for stability and familiarity as well.

Well times are quite different now. At the time, the pandora just felt revolutionary. I never had one but I had a Nokia n900 at the was almost like a twin community, since they basically shared the same hardware. That soc was new and very powerful. There was real excitement around the possibilities. Those were great times indeed.

Nowadays, phones have gotten to a point where they will just do everything easier and faster. You already have a very powerful portable computer on you at all times. I know it sounds cynical but that being the case, it's hard to be excited for a mini computer that is much less powerful and has a lot less software.

I just see the smartphone age as a new middle age... in my point of view the last ten years were just a reboot of the technology, and every improvements are only to implement things that was alredy present in the past... also all the labour force is dedicated to one kind of device, trashing many possibilities to create something new, like in the old time, with different form factors, for every use case.

Yesterday I just found out you need a third party APP to lock horizontally the display of an Android phone... i was like WTF !

Back