Request:Newer Kernel with KVM and XEN=Faster Qemu?

Yes, Linux has support for ARM virtualization, and like notaz mentioned A57 and A53 will have support for ARM virtualization.. but this has nothing to do with Linux's support for 64-bit ARM :p Those CPUs will still support 32-bit mode, and AFAIK the virtualization is similar in both modes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, and i pointed out that it's a cool fact that the 64bit ARM cpus are supported before their actual release.

To summarize: Virtualization only works with the same hardware, as the CPU natively executes the virtualized code. As long as ARM does not start to include x86 coprocessors or at least a Loongson-style x86 decoding support, x86 can't be virtualized at all on ARM. So only emulation is possible, making all those hardware virtualization features quite useless, even if we already had them.

Well theoretically ARM-ARM virtualization might be helpful for emulator too as it gets hardware support for a MMU and that wouldn't need to be emulated, but I haven't seen anyone using it this way and there might be limitations that I haven't thought about.

Back