"Respects Your Freedom" certification?

So in conclusion you don't know how to read, or write a coherent argument. Your level of argumentation doesn't exceed calling something bad. You cant quote the facts of the matter to support your ludicrous claims because it wasn't there to begin with.

Why so up in arms about freedom of speech if you don't know what to do with it?
More personal insults?  Do you have anything constructive to add to the conversation or are you simply trolling?

So in conclusion you don't know how to read, or write a coherent argument. Your level of argumentation doesn't exceed calling something bad. You cant quote the facts of the matter to support your ludicrous claims because it wasn't there to begin with.

Why when references to factual real requirements do you shrug them off without a counter argument or proof?

That's like when your little sister knows they can't win the argument so results to calling u stupid.

I have sent an email to the FSF asking for clarifications on some of their RFY requirements. I'll post their answers here.

Meanwhile there is no need to invent crazy interpretations of the RFY criteria. For example, the "no recommending proprietary software" criterion is clearly aimed at avoiding a website full of slogans like "Dell recommends Windows", which would be rather embarrassing. It does not mean you cannot mention proprietary software at all.

I have sent an email to the FSF asking for clarifications on some of their RFY requirements. I'll post their answers here.
Thank you. I look forward to it.
Meanwhile there is no need to invent crazy interpretations of the RFY criteria. For example, the "no recommending proprietary software" criterion is clearly aimed at avoiding a website full of slogans like "Dell recommends Windows", which would be rather embarrassing. It does not mean you cannot mention proprietary software at all.
The wording is no where near that narrow.

"100% Free Software

All the product software must be free software. The product software includes all software that the seller includes in the product, or provides with the product, or recommends for use in conjunction with the product, or steers users towards installation in the product."

All. Not just OS slogans. Not just the OS. All explicitly, per the statement above, includes everything even recommended or steered toward (advertised with) for use in conjunction with or to be later installed on the product. This isn't vague. It is very broad and would include everything from secondary OS capabilities game ROMs.

Besides which, why do they require exclusive branding?

"Other Misleading Endorsements

Companies awarded RYF certification for a given product, must not distribute any product-related materials with endorsements or badges to proprietary software, such as "Works with Windows" or "Made for Mac" badges, because these would give an appearance of legitimacy to those proprietary packages, and may make users think the product requires them. However, we don't object to clear factual statements informing the user that the product also works with specific proprietary operating systems."

If the hypothetical device, "Works with Windows", but includes a FOSS alternative, both statements could be absolutely true. I see nothing wrong with having BOTH badges if BOTH apply. There is nothing "embarrassing" about that. Their requirement for exclusivity (speech restriction) is simply another downfall.

The funny bit. A factual statement in a non-exclusive font and no 'badge' of, "Works with Windows" would be OK - so long as they vetted it and found it to be a factual statement, not a badge, and that nothing was included to actually make it actually do so. That would, in theory, be OK. I suspect that this was likely added as a nod to devices such as USB dongles and DAS devices that can operate independent of the OS on the machine they are attached to. The existing Pandora, "Works with Windows" in this respect. It can connect via a USB cable and appear as a mass storage device.

No, I am not advocating using Windows as the shipping OS for any Pandora successor. But, as above, it doesn't have to have Windows installed on it to, 'Work' with another OS.

I don't know if I agree with the extreme interpretation Grench takes but yours sounds overly naive. They say no recommendation of proprietary software or steering to it. What does this really mean? At what point does mentioning become highlighting, and at what point is that considered recommendation? If I understand right your interpretation seems to be about making sure that proprietary software isn't recommended over FOSS alternatives. But they don't say that and I don't think they even imply that.

Look at the emulator ad Craig made for Pandora. That's pretty blatantly promoting Pandora as being capable of running this vast plethora of proprietary software. Not just saying it can be done, it's clearly making it the number one selling point - it's good at playing games from an industry that is proprietary to the core.

Tangent rant - is anyone ever annoyed by people who insist that all emulators be FOSS but then have no problem playing proprietary ROMs on them? The console and retro computer gaming industries are about as proprietary as you get in the software world...

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the emulator ad Craig made for Pandora. That's pretty blatantly promoting Pandora as being capable of running this vast plethora of proprietary software. Not just saying it can be done, it's clearly making it the number one selling point - it's good at playing games from an industry that is proprietary to the core.

Tangent rant - is anyone ever annoyed by people who insist that all emulators be FOSS but then have no problem playing proprietary ROMs on them? The console and retro computer gaming industries are about as proprietary as you get in the software world...
Don't you know that game ROMs are not programs but merely an 'encumbered format' data file?

I noted the video on the Pandora home page before as 'advertising' the use of proprietary software as a primary purpose of the device. I was promptly informed by FSF/RYF proponents that game ROMs are merely an 'encumbered format' much like an MP3 audio file. (Roughly Oct 12 in this thread if anyone wants to try to find the reference.)

The proponents of FSF/RYF certification try very hard to stretch the FSF/RYF stated rules to encompass everything used to advertise the Pandora. IMHO game ROMs are clearly proprietary software. Apparently that is questionable...?

Just as long as you don't mention proprietary software in your advertising,

Exhibit 1:

"Companies awarded RYF certification for a given product, must not distribute any product-related materials with endorsements or badges to proprietary software, such as "Works with Windows" or "Made for Mac" badges, because these would give an appearance of legitimacy to those proprietary packages, and may make users think the product requires them. However, we don't object to clear factual statements informing the user that the product also works with specific proprietary operating systems."

Exhibit 2:

"All the product software must be free software. The product software includes all software that the seller includes in the product, or provides with the product, or recommends for use in conjunction with the product, or steers users towards installation in the product."

Inclusion of proprietary software in advertising the product is a recommendation for use of said software in conjunction with the product.

show it on your main web page,
Exhibit 2 again:

"All the product software must be free software. The product software includes all software that the seller includes in the product, or provides with the product, or recommends for use in conjunction with the product, or steers users towards installation in the product."

As the web page is an advertising statement, inclusion of proprietary software would construe a recommendation of use of said proprietary software with the product. This would include emulated game ROMs. Game ROMs are proprietary software programs, not encumbered media formats.

display it on your packaging,
Exhibit 1 again:

"Companies awarded RYF certification for a given product, must not distribute any product-related materials with endorsements or badges to proprietary software, such as "Works with Windows" or "Made for Mac" badges, because these would give an appearance of legitimacy to those proprietary packages, and may make users think the product requires them. However, we don't object to clear factual statements informing the user that the product also works with specific proprietary operating systems."

Exhibit 2 again:

Exhibit 3:

"The seller must use FSF approved terminology for the FSF's activities and work, in all statements and publications relating to the product. This includes product packaging, and manuals, web pages, marketing materials, and interviews about the product."

Packaging is advertising. Advertising proprietary software in conjunction with the device is a recommendation. The FSF's restrictions on statements of recommendation are clear and include product packaging.

include it in the packaging (even as a drivers disk), and especially not on the device as an alternative.
You must reference the FSF/RYF on all materials,
Exhibit 3 again:

"The seller must use FSF approved terminology for the FSF's activities and work, in all statements and publications relating to the product. This includes product packaging, and manuals, web pages, marketing materials, and interviews about the product."

So, if that doesn't cover all materials, then what does it leave out?

vet all advertising and packaging through the FSF
Exhibit 3 again:

How do you expect to get FSF approval for the terminology used in the above without the FSF vetting the materials?

and agree to never say anything negative about the FSF,
Exhibit 3 again:

I'm quite certain that if you are required to use, "FSF approved terminology for the FSF's activities and work" that they would not allow negative statements about their own organization to pass their own vetting process.

Note that this includes interviews and even this web page - which may need to have my comments censored if the project were to join the FSF/RYF program.

join their organization using a closed source contract
Exhibit 4 from right at the top of the page, in bold:

"The following page outlines the general criteria for hardware products that bear the Respects Your Freedom hardware certification mark. However, each certified product carries with it contractual obligations that may differ from those listed on this page."

Note: "contractual obligations"

Note: "may differ"

There is no public listing of active FSF/RYF contracts.

So - clearly I'm delusional and making all of this up. It is all right there on the FSF/RYF web site and clearly stated.

Again,

FOSS = good.

FSF/RYF certification = bad. It requires the project to give up far too many freedoms, particularly speech. Entirely not worth it.
Thank you. I look forward to it.
The wording is no where near that narrow.

"100% Free Software

All the product software must be free software. The product software includes all software that the seller includes in the product, or provides with the product, or recommends for use in conjunction with the product, or steers users towards installation in the product."

All. Not just OS slogans. Not just the OS. All explicitly, per the statement above, includes everything even recommended or steered toward (advertised with) for use in conjunction with or to be later installed on the product. This isn't vague. It is very broad and would include everything from secondary OS capabilities game ROMs.

Besides which, why do they require exclusive branding?

"Other Misleading Endorsements

Companies awarded RYF certification for a given product, must not distribute any product-related materials with endorsements or badges to proprietary software, such as "Works with Windows" or "Made for Mac" badges, because these would give an appearance of legitimacy to those proprietary packages, and may make users think the product requires them. However, we don't object to clear factual statements informing the user that the product also works with specific proprietary operating systems."

If the hypothetical device, "Works with Windows", but includes a FOSS alternative, both statements could be absolutely true. I see nothing wrong with having BOTH badges if BOTH apply. There is nothing "embarrassing" about that. Their requirement for exclusivity (speech restriction) is simply another downfall.

The funny bit. A factual statement in a non-exclusive font and no 'badge' of, "Works with Windows" would be OK - so long as they vetted it and found it to be a factual statement, not a badge, and that nothing was included to actually make it actually do so. That would, in theory, be OK. I suspect that this was likely added as a nod to devices such as USB dongles and DAS devices that can operate independent of the OS on the machine they are attached to. The existing Pandora, "Works with Windows" in this respect. It can connect via a USB cable and appear as a mass storage device.

No, I am not advocating using Windows as the shipping OS for any Pandora successor. But, as above, it doesn't have to have Windows installed on it to, 'Work' with another OS.
Ad hominem non arguments, non sequitur, ignoratio elenchi, naturalistic fallacy with undistributed middle, argumentum ad ignorantiam et cetera.

It doesnt matter how you are wrong, just why, its because you have an inability to read.

Don't you know that game ROMs are not programs but merely an 'encumbered format' data file?

I noted the video on the Pandora home page before as 'advertising' the use of proprietary software as a primary purpose of the device. I was promptly informed by FSF/RYF proponents that game ROMs are merely an 'encumbered format' much like an MP3 audio file. (Roughly Oct 12 in this thread if anyone wants to try to find the reference.)

The proponents of FSF/RYF certification try very hard to stretch the FSF/RYF stated rules to encompass everything used to advertise the Pandora. IMHO game ROMs are clearly proprietary software. Apparently that is questionable...?
I went back and looked at that. Sorry WizardStan, but I don't agree with any argument that this constitutes as encumbered software at all. They contain proprietary software, plain and simple. Anyone who takes a principled stance against using proprietary software - which is the main audience for something like RYF - would be a hypocrite to play commercial game ROMs that haven't been subsequently made GPL-compatible (sorry, I'm struggling to say "Free" without feeling like a douchebag)

FSF may be willing to tolerate mp3 playback even though they don't like the mp3 patents, because that's still not really core to their software platform. Consoles games are.

Sorry WizardStan, but I don't agree with any argument that this constitutes as encumbered software at all.
The argument wasn't to prove that he was conclusively wrong, it was to demonstrate that there exists one possible interpretation of the rules where he might be wrong. I could have picked a lot of things, I just went with the first thing that came to mind, and if he'd actually wanted to debate instead of playing games I'd have suggested a few more. Grench made the universal "it is this way" statement, I wasn't saying "no it is the opposite", I was pointing out that he was fabricating facts that weren't necessarily true.Maybe I'm wrong and I'd be ok with that, it would mean that at that point we have definitive evidence of their intentions and then he can make all the absolute statements of fact about the subject he wants, because then it would be fact. Right now it's not fact, just conjecture.

hedwards

So FOSS has no merit because you can rice your windows install? And sane people supposedly do this. Im going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess you meant replacing the whole thing. So maybe none of us is going to rewrite a closed blob. Why do we want to give ourselves this task a have the time to really get to know the code base anyways.

That sounds to me like a good reason to avoid said problem...
Considering your lame response to somebody else, I recommend that you take your own advice here. Ricing Windows was common well before most people had ever heard of Linux, suggesting that it is something that can be done because of Linux is misleading. Most proprietary OSes can be similarly modded without too much troube.

And the fact that most people can't read the code and don't care, is a valid point that you fail to credit. The point is that the software was already closed. It's not going to be opened without a pack of patent attorneys spending thousands of hours reviewing the code. It would be nice if the software were open, but realistically the primary concern should be a stable driver with good software as 90% or more of the people using the unit won't be able to read it anyways, and the bulk of the remainder won't have the time to really get to know the code base anyways.

Considering that this is your MO, except for the last line, don't you think it's time you took your own advice?

wb was describing the merits of free software, and how it would have been impossible without. In no way is that anywhere similar to what you can do on windows. Which proves his point, not yours. People did not rice windows before most people had heard of linux, that is ad populace, generally wrong fallacy supporting nothing. Reverse engineering code is legal. Our choices are between code that is, and code that isnt, that is the point.

I did credit the point, read. You did nothing to disprove my statement.

Non sequitur argument with ad populace fallacies. You did the same thing as me, only turned it around, and gave no reasoning, bravo. My point still stands.

A time concern does nothing to prove the point you arent making, nor does it take away anything.

Documentation and code is a bonus. You may shift your primary concern towards something that is unrelated, but you arent disproving anything about the point at hand. Case in point, you cant have good drivers over time if they are closed, so you manage to yet be wrong.

Given that i didnt have time to point it out last night, and that disproving something that is pointed out as wrong with no evidence to the contrary, doesnt make me wrong. You made an ad hominem attack.

I went back and looked at that. Sorry WizardStan, but I don't agree with any argument that this constitutes as encumbered software at all. They contain proprietary software, plain and simple. Anyone who takes a principled stance against using proprietary software - which is the main audience for something like RYF - would be a hypocrite to play commercial game ROMs that haven't been subsequently made GPL-compatible (sorry, I'm struggling to say "Free" without feeling like a douchebag)

FSF may be willing to tolerate mp3 playback even though they don't like the mp3 patents, because that's still not really core to their software platform. Consoles games are.
FSF "tolerates" mp3 playback because its an alternative to an alternative. Its about choice. It is in no way comparable to shipping an emulator, because that doesn't state anything about what you emulate with it.

Game ROMs are obviously a form of closed-source proprietary software. That means we cannot ship them with the device and get the RYF certificate. It also means that we cannot put statements on our website like "once you receive your Pandora, the OpenPandora Team recommends that you install the New Super Mario Bros ROM on it, here's a link to a ROM site".

Obviously we're not going to do that (for other reasons than to get RYF certification), so this is not an issue. It's more problematic to not recommend legally available proprietary Pandora software like DraStic or Kami Retro. Here's where some clarification is required as to what constitutes a recommendation. In my opinion, it would be a recommendation if for instance at first boot, you would get a dialog saying "Do you want to download DraStic?" or if on the official OpenPandora website, there would be a list of "recommended software" which includes proprietary software. It would in my opinion not be a recommendation if screenshots or videos are shown in marketing material or if the software is made available for download on a community-maintained repo hosted on the official vendor server. But clarification is needed as to what exactly the boundaries are of the notions "recommend" and "steer towards".

The RYF certification is all about being able to do what you want with your device. If you want to run proprietary software on it (and most games are), that is fine. But the device has to be usable without proprietary software.

So yes, I guess that if all marketing videos have the implicit or explicit message that in order to actually use your Pandora you absolutely need to put proprietary software on it, that would be contrary to the spirit of the RYF certification. Watching ED's videos, I never had that impression though.

Breaking copyright law is illegal to begin with.

If you wanted to be anal about it, one could argue that the display of a proprietary game alone would be a problem, as that would theoretically imply its the only game available, giving you no options.

All in the mindset of "I interpret this to be against itself"-sort of way, but still.

I don't understand grenches ability to go out of his way in defending badges, that we cannot get, and for all intents an purposes have the same restrictions imposed that he is supposedly against, making it inept, and then a whole heap of others too, the theoretical aspect of that withers too.

So long as its only a list, with images/video and the license is stated thats fine. Which is what a (functional) repo is. There are no restrictions as to how things are provided, so long as it isn't forced upon the user.
Therefore its unproblematic to not have the word "recommended" with the list, since that falls squarely in the "recommended"-stear towards category. Staying impartial about the choice of the user, which many proponents speak out in favour of, (kami retros author for one), is a good line to follow.

And grench, no, that doesn't mean FOSS is anything but an option...

I think software that display the device's abilities should be credited, not so much for advertising the software in itself, but its a nice way of giving back for providing that.

FSF "tolerates" mp3 playback because its an alternative to an alternative. Its about choice. It is in no way comparable to shipping an emulator, because that doesn't state anything about what you emulate with it.

The RYF certification is all about being able to do what you want with your device. If you want to run proprietary software on it (and most games are), that is fine. But the device has to be usable without proprietary software.

And grench, no, that doesn't mean FOSS is anything but an option...
Please examine your statements above. Claiming, "Its about choice", "has to be usable without proprietary software", "doesn't mean FOSS is anything but an option..."

All of those statements imply that the FSF/RYF certification allows choice. It does not. It requires exclusivity for FOSS on the device, in the package, on the advertising, in statements, etc... It excludes offering a choice for non FOSS alternatives - regardless of whether the device includes a truly FOSS alternative.

Restricting to a single solution is not true freedom and it does not allow options to be presented to allow actual end users an actual choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_choice

context, please revise.

Edit: also, before attempting to understand what other people write, try to make sense of your utterances.

You are repeating lies without any foundation in reality. I even spelled it out for you and you failed to get it...

Barking up the wrong tree trying to patronize me. You draw your own lies into the conclusion, in turn proving little else but your own invincible ignorance.

Exophase on the GPL: "I'm struggling to say "Free" without feeling like a douchebag"

yup, that's a keeper!

seriously though, everyone shut up until _wb_ finds out what the requirements actually are.

sswam: Please dont take things out of context, read it again. You will find it has, 1, nothing to do with RYF, its a strawman attack on FSF. It is also impartial towards the use, from a users viewpoint. Which ironically _isn't_, something the RYF does or is concerned with. We call this logical fallacy in norway "skin-holy"

It also states "GPL-compatible", in lieu of using the word free, in turn ending up with something that isnt the essence of free.
Imposing views on others is a douche move. No matter what side of the fence you are on. You assume a third position where you take things to mean something they don't. Suggesting you take that out of your sig.

Then it ends with a false assumption about why mp3 playback is allowed.

Since it also proves grench wrong in his futile propaganda attempts i'll quote it:

RYF criteria: For instance, MP3 is an encumbered format, because patent holders actively demand patent royalties from those who distribute players. Its general purpose is to serve as a lossy audio encoding format, providing a reasonable trade-off between sound quality and disk space. Ogg Vorbis is an unencumbered format and serves the same purpose. Thus, we could certify a Digital Audio Player (DAP) that plays MP3 provided it also plays Ogg Vorbis files just as well.
Making an emulation device for old games is a perfectly honorable task. It frees up those games rather than making them native to their now semi-defunct platforms. As such, displaying its abilities in that regard is perfectly fine. The FSF was always a "bring your own hardware" kind of project. Whereas now its trying to go beyond having a base platform with for example proprietary EFI bios and suchlike. An emulator is capable of playing homebrew just as well, so there is no stance taken on the users behalf. Like if one wants to purchase one of said games, homebrew or re-released, illegitimately download, dump from old stock, etc, its up to the user.

Can we get a "dislike this" button for the forum?

You go off on a rant about how emulators are honorable and then accuse me of strawman arguments (god I'm getting sick of hearing people say that and all the other internet argument cliches)

Sorry if I don't feel like putting your precious ideology on a pedestal in not wanting to say "Free." It's like they recognized that the word "free" was ambiguous and decided to capitalize it not just to differentiate it but to elevate it. There's nothing inaccurate about my saying GPL-compatible in that sentence (note nowhere did I try to tell other people what words to not use). Asking him to take it out of his sig is really pathetic.

GPL-compatible is not the same as "Free" (however douchebaggy that word makes you feel). In fact, it is not even clear what it means, since the GPLv2 is not compatible with the GPLv3. There are several Free licenses (using the FSF definition of "Free") that are not GPLv2 nor GPLv3-compatible.

I agree that distinguishing Free from free is perhaps a bit silly. We could not use the word at all and talk about libre and gratis instead. Or free-as-in-speech and free-as-in-beer, but that will probably only invite another rant from Grench about how the FSF is disrespecting his freedom of speech.

Back