Retro Dreams

darkman

darkman unmasked!
Website
www.vci.net
The darkman dreams..........

I don't know what it takes to program. I would l love to be able to do something like that. I really don't have time to learn with my long work hours and family. I really do appreciate all the hard work that some of you do out there so that some one, like me, can enjoy the blast of retro gaming with the emulators. And save the earth again!
With only weeks or possibility days away of the new GPX2 hitting the streets, I sat down and began to dream of what I would like to be able to play on that thing. I really don't know what the hardware will be capable of, but I am sure, if it is, some of the programing wizards out there will be able to pull it off.
I would like to be able to play on GP MAME
Outrunners
Darius Gaiden: Silver Hawk
R-Type Leo
Giga Wing 2
Gunbird 2
Nostradamus
DoDon Pachi
Dogyuun
Dimahoo
In the Hunt
Mars Matrix
Zero Wing
Cadilacs and Dinosaurs

On SNES I would like to be able to play all the RPGs.
Doesn't hurt to dream a little. :)

if were talking dreams....

UFO enemy unknown. (x-com)
settlers
good fast dosbox for dune 2 etc

And a million and 1 other cool games that id love to play on the move.

Quiest posted on Aug 23 2005 at 02:24 PM said:
You can play Zero Wing on DrMD, or is the MAME version that different?

I am playing that one. The arcade one just feels different. Maybe a little more stuff here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giga Wing 2? Most of the bosses and effects are real-time-rendered in glorious 3d? Are you crazy?

Actually, same here. I was a Giga Wing 2 guru - scoring high above the numbers of mere mortals. Ruby's plane from the first Giga Wing was the best, though it had to be unloicked. Also - I heard that a new GW might be coming to PS2 and Gamecube - I'd buy that for a dollar!

But I digress.

I read the top entry with the albeit mistaken idea that he wanted to see these on the GP32 - which is a funny idea, considering we don't have decent Snes emulation yet, let alone CPS-2.

Colonization!

Currently pinning my hopes on Amiga emulation on PSP for this, but maybe DOSbox or UAE will see the light of day on GPX2...

AXNJAXN posted on Aug 23 2005 at 08:43 PM said:
Giga Wing 2? Most of the bosses and effects are real-time-rendered in glorious 3d? Are you crazy?

Actually, same here. I was a Giga Wing 2 guru - scoring high above the numbers of mere mortals. Ruby's plane from the first Giga Wing was the best, though it had to be unloicked. Also - I heard that a new GW might be coming to PS2 and Gamecube - I'd buy that for a dollar!

But I digress.

I read the top entry with the albeit mistaken idea that he wanted to see these on the GP32 - which is a funny idea, considering we don't have decent Snes emulation yet, let alone CPS-2.

I would settle for R-Type Leo. I would love to have Darius Gaiden: Silver Hawk with the musical score on a handheld, I feel like that game is a work of art. :) I know one thing. I will not be disappointed with the new Gamepark. I wil probably find enough stuff to play on it to keep me satisfied. B)

Amiga Emulation would be excellent and worthy of the purchase alone in my opinion

A PC port of Total Annihilation would be awesome but I have no idea if this would be possible or not.

darkman posted on Aug 24 2005 at 04:05 PM said:
AXNJAXN posted on Aug 23 2005 at 08:43 PM said:

But I digress.

I would settle for R-Type Leo. I would love to have Darius Gaiden: Silver Hawk with the musical score on a handheld, I feel like that game is a work of art. :) I know one thing. I will not be disappointed with the new Gamepark. I wil probably find enough stuff to play on it to keep me satisfied. B)

Great SHMUPs, but both were based on some hefty arcade hardware. I personally doubt GPX2 could emulate them well.

However, what's interesting is that BEYOND emulation the GPX2 is an awesome piece of hardware. If you understand specs well, you can see GPX2 is probably the most powerful 2D handheld system ever released. So for example, if a good developer were to make a SHMUP designed for the GPX2 hardware, it could be completely incredible. That 64MB RAM means a lot for 2D games, you can store a buttload of animation frames and backgrounds in there and access them dynamically, and that 2D co-processor sounds like it has some excellent acceleration functions. At the least it should get you some nice fast transparencies and other 2D effects without slowing down the main CPU. Add in the perfect control layout for 2D games, the stereo speakers and you have a rockin little console.

I know we're unlikely to see much commercial development on GPX2, but it would be nice if we got a few games that really used the hardware. It's really pretty powerful.

Digger, although it could probably be ported to gp32 with fairly little effort (sourcecode is availabla, www.digger.org), superb game, plzzz someone port it ^^

yeah, i thought of sending an email to the creater of lbawin. maybe i should....

edit: i think twine is being developed on linux.... anyone who knows about programming snoop around this, i for one (and im sure many other people) would love lba on a mobile devie :)

games like r type leo and darius gaiden are easily within the gp2x's capabilities if they were to be ported, but as emulated titles, they could be a bridge too far.

Best thing to do is keep your fingers crossed and see how deep the devvers can dig.

geo12 posted on Aug 23 2005 at 03:42 PM said:
id love to play Gunbound on a handheld.
I thought the same thing. I think it would be easy to have something similar, there has to be liero-like sourcecode out there. That would be awesome for multiplayer.

Back