Revolution

Can you imagine running around the room with your controller as a steering wheel in a racing game or using it as a hammer to build a house in Animal Crossing? You could even use it like a plane, when you was a kid, holding it up and going through the motions. But the difference would be that you are watching it on the screen. In a Zelda game it would be a sword. Star Wars anyone? I am not going to try this on an instore demo display! It will be very interesting to see what they might come up with. You can give them credit for one thing, I think all eyes are on Nintendo waiting to see how they are going to use this new way of playing. It will be very interesting to see how this thing would be used in a RPG. Some company is going to have a controller come out shaped like a rifle and it will be banned. <_< I do think they have something that might bring the feel of the arcades into your living room. :) I use a cordless controller on my PS2 and my Gamecube. So I should be half way trained.
On an instore display the controller would be chained, just when you are about to get bad guy you find that the chain is too short. :eek: :unsure:

Capcom has the controller shaped like a chain saw.

But as an adult, i cannot imagine myself running around my living room like an idiot waving the controller and i won't do it. But as a kid, yes this will probably be a good idea.

Angel posted on Feb 3 2006 at 02:55 PM said:
But as an adult, i cannot imagine myself running around my living room like an idiot waving the controller and i won't do it. But as a kid, yes this will probably be a good idea.
So what's the 'adult' way to play a video game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel posted on Feb 3 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
well then, if it uses Gamecube controllers that'd be cool, I love the Gamecube controllers.

:eek: As much as I love Nintendo, Gamecube controller is the biggest let down in my book. It's more of Nintendo's ego speaking rather than "innovating". The big-o A button and pretty useless D-pad made it far worse controller than dualshock or even xbox controller, IMO.

BTW I do agree with you on D-pad being the best invention of video gaming. Although I certainly hope the best is yet to come... ;)

codeninja posted on Feb 4 2006 at 12:54 AM said:
:eek: As much as I love Nintendo, Gamecube controller is the biggest let down in my book. It's more of Nintendo's ego speaking rather than "innovating". The big-o A button and pretty useless D-pad made it far worse controller than dualshock or even xbox controller, IMO.
I actually quite like the gamecube controllers. They just fit my hands very well, a little better than playstation ones. Well except for those analog shoulder buttons anyhow... But in any case there are always aftermarket controllers, and even those Playstation to Gamecube/Xbox/PC etc etc adapters for those that want them.

It's already well established that Nintendo intends those to be GC controller ports, which works out well since the thing will be able to blay GC game disks.

Change in the industry comes from intelligent crafty out side the box thinkers new genres are not the norm they are the exception. your time in gaming was destined to be marked with simular playing action/adventure games for as long as it takes someone to come up with that one special suprise that makes other people wish they thought of it. The revo is a blunt, brute force attempt at creating this magic, and it will not bare fruit as well as they hope. Of the 7 games I have on my DS only 2 use the DS in any way that is remotely new and different (I refer to Trace Memory and Trauma center: Under the knife). every other one of the other games are basically upgraded versions of previous games (Mario kart, Mr Driller, DigDug, Pheonix Wright and Advance warsDS) Sure they use the second screen but it's kinda required, other wise they are all the same genres we've been playing.

sorry for any in congruous thoughts as it's a 2 AM and my body is shutting down arter a particularly long and brutal day of indoor Paintball.

I like the Gamecube controller also. It is so much better then the three legged one that they had for the N64.

I wonder if Nintendo will reach back into the closet and revive the Nintendo power glove? <_< It would seem to go with the Revolution.

darkman posted on Feb 4 2006 at 12:45 AM said:
I like the Gamecube controller also. It is so much better then the three legged one that they had for the N64.

I wonder if Nintendo will reach back into the closet and revive the Nintendo power glove? <_< It would seem to go with the Revolution.

Nintendo didn't make the power glove.

Ravnos posted on Feb 4 2006 at 02:03 AM said:

Who made the Power glove? I got into the console gaming with Tubo Grafx 16 and Genesis. Before that, I did have a C64 and used it a lot for games. But I never got into the NES.

The general concensus would be the the Gamecube controller is very good.

Alpha2 posted on Feb 4 2006 at 03:42 AM said:
Of the 7 games I have on my DS only 2 use the DS in any way that is remotely new and different (I refer to Trace Memory and Trauma center: Under the knife). every other one of the other games are basically upgraded versions of previous games (Mario kart, Mr Driller, DigDug, Pheonix Wright and Advance warsDS) Sure they use the second screen but it's kinda required, other wise they are all the same genres we've been playing.

I can agree that not all games are taking advantage of the features (or even need them), but there are quite a few that benefit.
The Metroid Prime Hunters demo is amazing with the stylus. Its about as close to having mouse control as your gonna get, and i was very impressed. I think I actually prefer it to a mouse. Other games like Castlevania really benefit from having stats or map on a dedicated screen. Sure it can be done without, but damn is it useful.

In my opinion the main thing here is not that all the games arent taking advantage of these features. Not all of them need it. But its just one extra thing that IS available for those games that can benefit, and those that couldnt be done without it.

darkman posted on Feb 4 2006 at 02:09 AM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 4 2006 at 02:03 AM said:

Who made the Power glove? I got into the console gaming with Tubo Grafx 16 and Genesis. Before that, I did have a C64 and used it a lot for games. But I never got into the NES.

Some third party with a forgettable name, hence why I forgot it. It was distributed by Mattel in the US and PAX in Japan, though.

doesn'rt matter if its for a gamecube controller. even if nintendo don't do it themselves, theres bound to be third party manufacturers who either bring out adapters or create retro style controllers.

The revo is a blunt, brute force attempt at creating this magic, and it will not bare fruit as well as they hope.

Well, at least developers get the chance to create something new.
IMO the games you can create on a system are heavily dependant on the control method the player uses (Think of beat'em ups on pc's and real time strategy on consoles *shudder*). So even if many companies just will adjust some old games to the Revolutions controller, a few will develop something totally new. And that would be great, wouldn't it?
At least better than the 400th incarnation of the first person shooter genre with it's only real improvement being more realistic graphics :angry:

nites posted on Feb 4 2006 at 09:10 AM said:
The revo is a blunt, brute force attempt at creating this magic, and it will not bare fruit as well as they hope.

Well, at least developers get the chance to create something new.
IMO the games you can create on a system are heavily dependant on the control method the player uses (Think of beat'em ups on pc's and real time strategy on consoles *shudder*). So even if many companies just will adjust some old games to the Revolutions controller, a few will develop something totally new. And that would be great, wouldn't it?
At least better than the 400th incarnation of the first person shooter genre with it's only real improvement being more realistic graphics :angry:
Actually, the Revo controller could work out pretty good for first person shooters...

...and thus you can see why the revo controller wont create any new genres. I predict 10 FPS games in the first year.

The fact that it's nice to have a second screen for some of those DS games dosent change the fact that it's not effecting the genre of those games they just find new ways to cram the old game styles into them. The GC controller, and I've said it numerous times, was Nintendo saying "Fuck streetfighter, we dont want these games anymore!" and yeat strangely enough they still ended up with it regardless of the controller not being the best possible design.

My point is a new method of control is fine but it's not the definitive way to alter game play. Has anyone here played Farenheit/Indigo Prophacy? I thought the way you use standard Dual analog sticks on PC/PS2 controllers we've already had around for 3 years was more innovative than the Revo controller's supposed newness. Soft pushes resulting in different reactions or emotional responses than hard ones that effect the way the story plays out or the use of the sticks to decide what questions you ask in an investigation. Of course some of the battles in the game use gameplay techniques similar to some of the "quicktime" actions from Shenmue but it's still something that hasnt been used widely. I'd stay there's still plenty of innovations left to be discovered in the controllers we already have it's just that developers dont take the opportunity to always think about it and thus they're likely to just do the same even with the Revo controller.

Alpha2 posted on Feb 4 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
The fact that it's nice to have a second screen for some of those DS games dosent change the fact that it's not effecting the genre of those games they just find new ways to cram the old game styles into them.
I dont agree with that. Many games such as Nintendogs, Trauma Center, etc are not possible without the touch screen, and have been huge hits. I can see the revolution having the same effect with the new controller.
No, i dont see every game using it. In fact i can see the majority of games using standard controllers. The important thing is its an option, and there is possibility to create games that are not currently possible. Just like the DS allowed games that would not have been possible on a GBA style handheld.
Just one more option.

Well I never said Trauma Center and Nintendogs weren't innovative (though I'd hardly call nintendogs a game) But think about it, if we took away every game that only used the second screen as a control surface or submenu screen the DS would technically have about 15% of the games it has now.

Honestly they could have pulled this controller out for the gamecube and it would have just been another peripheral that seems like a great idea but largely goes ignored aside from first party game attempts and 2 or 3 efforts from 3rd parties. The result is the Revo becomes a novelty system.

In my opinion they need to make it stand out a different way. Yeah sure give people the funky controller but dont focus on that. Make it a central hub for DS multiplayer/online games. Stuff that uses the DS for on screen Revo games that you can play versus people online, yeah it smacks of the GBA link cable but with the DS's wifi built in it's less of an issue of buying another addon.

Back