Ridge Racer 4 Pandora?

Tinnus

Didn't think anyone wanted to see what's psx4pandora going to look like...

(edit: these shots are from the WIP PC version GPU of psx4all which is being coded in OpenGL ES 2.0, the very same code and looks that will migrate to the Pandora once it's available. So as far as looks are concerned, psx4pandora will look like this. Sorry for any confusion.)

gleshot3qu9.png

gleshot4xm2.png

gleshot5sp5.png

P.S.: It will actually look better than that since gourad shading is currently buggy and disabled in these shots.

that looks great, but what is different from how it would look in any emulator... also, has psx4pandora already been ported???

That's hardware-rendering natively to 800x480 instead of the usual software-rendering to 320x240 like most emulators (and classic psx4all) do, and with two degrees of texture filtering (bilinear and a pre-filter).

edit: and it's faster than software, of course.

This looks amazing! Keep up the great work devs!

I'm really like these previews the devs are giving us now that they have hardware to play with. Keep it coming. :)

That looks amazing, even without the Gouraud shading. Can't wait to see it in action! But, I do hope that aspect ratio correction will be available in the final version, to run the games in the regular 4:3 aspect (pillarboxed)... aspect ratio distortion always bugs me for some reason.

cappuchok said:
That looks amazing, even without the Gouraud shading. Can't wait to see it in action! But, I do hope that aspect ratio correction will be available in the final version, to run the games in the regular 4:3 aspect (pillarboxed)... aspect ratio distortion always bugs me for some reason.
+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinnus said:
That's hardware-rendering natively to 800x480 instead of the usual software-rendering to 320x240 like most emulators (and classic psx4all) do, and with two degrees of texture filtering (bilinear and a pre-filter).

If that's hardware rendering then how come it has the PlayStation's "wobbly" textures?

pglh said:
Tinnus said:

If that's hardware rendering then how come it has the PlayStation's "wobbly" textures?

Maybe because they are screenshots from a PlayStation?

Either that, or Tinnus is extremely advanced with poking GPU hardware registers, as there's no OpenGL library yet, and the hardware-level GPU register descriptions are under tight NDA - none of the current Pandora developers have access to them.

Oh, and current developer LCD's are 480x640. Only one person has a 800x480 display.

Squidge said:
Maybe because they are screenshots from a PlayStation?

No, that's because the wobbly textures (aka textures without perspective correction) are caused by the PS1 GPU rendering pure 2D polygons with the 3D transforms being done in the CPU. There's not really much an emulator can do except render pretty 2D polygons with perspective-distorted textures because we don't have a way to access a vertex's z coordinate.

I expected you, of all people, to at least look and know the PS1 had no texture filtering, and RRR ran at 320x240 so obviously that couldn't be shots from an actual PlayStation.

(personal note: sorry if I sounded rude in that other thread. I really don't want to start here negatively :) )

Squidge said:
Either that, or Tinnus is extremely advanced with poking GPU hardware registers, as there's no OpenGL library yet, and the hardware-level GPU register descriptions are under tight NDA - none of the current Pandora developers have access to them.

Oh, and current developer LCD's are 480x640. Only one person has a 800x480 display.

The shots are from the PC version, which I'm developing currently with TI's emulation DLLs. I don't actually have any hardware, but I presume it will be rather easy to get it (the GL ES 2.0 code) working in the actual hardware when it's available. I never said these were shots from ac actual Pandora, just how it's "going to lok like".

I just wanted to show you folks we are actually working on the emulator already, even though we have no hardware yet. Maybe I was just plain wrong to begin with.

Oh, and for those deonstratig any interest, there will be options to adjust the aspect ratio, no problem.

Ah right, sorry about that. I assumed we had another atomicthumbs for a moment there - ie. just grab some images off the net and post them saying "Look what I've done!". I didn't have a good look at the images.

It would have better if you stated they were from the PC running emulation DLLs in your first post, that would have prevented the mis-understanding.

I would prefer the future Pandora PSX emulator to render at 800x600, but showing only 800x480.

I think removing 60 pixels from both top and bottom won't make as lose too much relevant screen info.

Well, this game isn't a good example (it loses the digital speedometer and the sixth gear indicator): :p

ridgeracer43qr2.jpg

ridgeracer53nb3.jpg

EDIT: But, what about an optimized mode (like the one existing in most LCD TVs), that reduces the distortion on the center of the screen?

EDIT2: Reduced image size to save bandwidth.

Squidge said:
Ah right, sorry about that. I assumed we had another atomicthumbs for a moment there - ie. just grab some images off the net and post them saying "Look what I've done!". I didn't have a good look at the images.

I'm really working on the GPU side of psx4pandora and am a member of the psx4all team, you can ask zodttd :p

It would have better if you stated they were from the PC running emulation DLLs in your first post, that would have prevented the mis-understanding.

There.

CoMiKe said:
I would prefer the future Pandora PSX emulator to render at 800x600, but showing only 800x480
I think removing 60 pixels from both top and bottom won't make as lose too much relevant screen info.

EDIT: But, what about an optimized mode (like the one existing in most LCD TVs), that reduces the distortion on the center of the screen?

That's all planned and easily added, don't worry :) I also prefer the image not to be all stretched like that, and the nonlinear transformation keeping more proportion at the center seems great, thanks :)

Looking great, Tinnus! I know PSX4Pandora is high on a lot of lists for most desirable emulators. It's really exciting to see you guys are already on top of it.

I'm also solidly on the side of maintaining a correct aspect ratio, even if it means pillarboxing. I'm not worried, though. If you can manage to get high quality, fullspeed PSX emulation on the Pandora then I'm sure programming in multiple resolutions/scaling options is trivial in comparison.

Impressive Pix. I'm sure, the Pandora can handle this game but the big Question is: Full Speed? :)

Sounds like nobody will have access to the important Hardware Accelerators of the Pandora? All have to be done in Software? No use of the powerful Chipset Features for Homebrew-Devs? Please say, I'm wrong! :ph34r:

fusion_power said:
Impressive Pix. I'm sure, the Pandora can handle this game but the big Question is: Full Speed? :)

Based on the performance of the GP2X version, the numbers TI gives about the peformance of the CPU, and the speed of the GL ES 2.0 GPU, we judge it will easily be fullspeed right away :)

fusion_power said:
Sounds like nobody will have access to the important Hardware Accelerators of the Pandora? All have to be done in Software? No use of the powerful Chipset Features for Homebrew-Devs? Please say, I'm wrong! :ph34r:
There will be OpenGL ES 2.0 libraries for it eventually.

fusion_power said:
Correct. However, most of the features will be exposed via OpenGL.

fusion_power said:
Your not quite right ;).

The PowerVR hardware is VERY closed however drivers allowing the hardware to process OpenGL ES and OpenVG (I hope) commands will be available for the Pandora in time. These features will be accessible by developers as an abstract wrapper to the hardware.

This is very, very cool. Keep up the good work!

Squidge said:
I don't do that. II'm not a plagarist :p

Wow, a post from atomicthumbs that I didn't have to delete because it was random off-topic drivel ;)

Back