Ridge Racer 4 Pandora?

Chip said:
plupp said:
Any more screenshots coming or are we waiting for the release until we will be able to drool over some new screenshots?

The emulator is already running at more than full speed and we have pics and videos to prove it. The only thing they're still working on (perhaps done already?) is optimizing it a bit to run full speed at lower frequencies and a few other odds and ends. Any new screenshots would look the same as the old ones.
Thank you very much for the info :)

What clock speed do you need now to get fullspeed? 600 mhz? Thanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
plupp said:
Any more screenshots coming or are we waiting for the release until we will be able to drool over some new screenshots?

The emulator is already running at more than full speed and we have pics and videos to prove it. The only thing they're still working on (perhaps done already?) is optimizing it a bit to run full speed at lower frequencies and a few other odds and ends. Any new screenshots would look the same as the old ones.
Just to make some things clear, the version that's running on hardware in zodttd's videos and such is the "old" software-rendered version. These screenshots show the new GL ES 2 renderer and were taken from the PC version using the emulation libraries by ImgTec.

As far as development is concerned, I've ran into some bugs with my video card/driver and the DLLs so I'm waiting for some real hardware to continue ;) (there's some semi-major features from the PS1 GPU not implemented, and I'd like to rewrite the texture lookup code because at the moment it causes a stall every first time a texture is used)

I was hoping to see some nice screenshots with final version scaling i.e. the famous HQ2X/LQ2X and gouraud shading before the pandora is released.

But thats only me hoping I guess.

Rivroner said:
What clock speed do you need now to get fullspeed? 600 mhz? Thanks ;)
It would be interesting to know, how low the Pandora clock speed could go when this Emulator is high optimized. :D I can imagine that 2D PSX Games don't need so much CPU power like the 3D Games do.

The zodttd videos were running at 500 MHz, no? Anyway, with the hardware GPU it should run fullspeed below that.

And no, 2D games don't require less power to emulate. An emulator always has to emulate the same components at the same speeds. It's the same PS1 that runs Metal Slug and Final Fantasy, so the emulator must pretend to be the same machine ;)

plupp: gourad shading is fixed, but HQ2X/LQ2X is not implemented and I don't know if it ever will (at least without some patching) because they work in the YUV color space and most likely in the final version of the GPU I'll be scaling the PS1 textures in palettized version (ie: I don't know what the actual colors would be, so I can only use filters that depend on colors being equal or not instead of differences like 2xSaI and HQ2X do).

I don´t know if Zodttd videos were running at 500mhz.I don´t remember to read Zoddtd saying the Pandora speed in that videos......

But if the videos were recorded at 500 is impressive, you could use the most demanding filters :)

Tinnus said:
And no, 2D games don't require less power to emulate. An emulator always has to emulate the same components at the same speeds. It's the same PS1 that runs Metal Slug and Final Fantasy, so the emulator must pretend to be the same machine ;)
Ah, OK. So Emulators of 2D Consoles are different? Because I have various FPS fluctuations with GPSP and Games like Sonic or Metroid, compared to the graphical simple "Advance Wars". Same onto SNES Emus Megadrive. Some games run faster than others.

However, as long we will have a good NeoGeo Emulator onto the Pandora there is no really need to play Metal Slug onto the PSX Emu. :D Except people want the realistic CD loading interupts from the PSX Version. ^_^

Different games use the hardware to different amounts, but it is not strictly: 2D games are fast and 3D games are not (at least not on the PSX for which rendering wise 2D and 3D games are essenical the same AFAIK anyways).

At least that is what I think Tinnus wanted to say.

Julius said:
Different games use the hardware to different amounts, but it is not strictly: 2D games are fast and 3D games are not (at least not on the PSX for which rendering wise 2D and 3D games are essenical the same AFAIK anyways).

At least that is what I think Tinnus wanted to say.

Yes. What happens is that some things are easier to emulate than others, but in the case of the PS1 a 2D sprite is as costly to emulate/draw as a "3D" polygon (maybe a bit faster since there's no costly 3D instructions to execute, but those also took much time in the original hardware).

However, in some consoles, say the SNES, there were transparency modes and such that had to be emulated in a slower way to look right. Also, GpSP has something called idle loop detection that effectively makes the emulator run as fast as it can depending on the game (ie, it doesn't emulate the console CPU like it was as fast as it should, but only as fast as the game needs it) and how much of the console the game makes use of--and that's why you can feel the difference in different areas of the game or dfferent games :)

However, 2D games on PS1 generally don't use the GTE for much or anything which is a big drain on emulation with all its flags and nonsense.

gpSP doesn't actually have idle loop detection (has to be entered manually) but Temper does :>

I also thought gpsp had it, sometimes I get the feeling it runs things better than on the gba itself (super monkey ball)
anyway, it's gonna be great playing the gba on that gorgeous screen!

ok, back from offtopicland...
should I expect tekken 3 full speed with sound since day 1? :rolleyes:

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
should I expect tekken 3 full speed with sound since day 1? :rolleyes:

I'll tell you as soon as I get my hands on real hardware ;)

Back