Ripping PS1 games

some games have sub channel data on the original PS1 disk and this is lost with a BIN/CUE rip. only way to get the full information is to rip with clone cd giving a .ccd image.

psx-scene has a lot of info on PS1 EMUS etc......

I've read contradictory information on the gp32x forum where I was told that ISO files strip out the subchannel data and bin/cue did not... .ccd was considered a general equivelant to bin/cue as far as retaining subchannel data... looks like I may have to do more research on this to find out for sure...

is pocketiso with WINE actually necessary? would acetoneISO or any of the linux tools work as a good equivelant?

Can they compress to .Z? Never heard of them :)

Edit: Just checked. AcetoneISO is like ISOBuster or similar a tool to extract, etc. ISOs.

PocketISO is a tool especially for PSX ISOs. It can remove movies, reduce the quality of the movies or just leave them as they are.

It also compresses the ISO, so the files are a lot smaller than before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they compress to .Z? Never heard of them :)

Edit: Just checked. AcetoneISO is like ISOBuster or similar a tool to extract, etc. ISOs.

PocketISO is a tool especially for PSX ISOs. It can remove movies, reduce the quality of the movies or just leave them as they are.

Do you know if it supports eboot format and are there any pc psx emu that supports a compressed iso because I'd like to be able to leave all my iso's in one format instead of converting them all the time and it would be nice if they could all be a single file instead of .bin/.cue.

admittedly, I'm more about accuracy than compression rate... I'd want all the movies and all the audio (as I am one of the few that enjoys the full experience of a game, including cut scenes and general nuances that are lost in general iso backups... I'm one that wishes to make as much of a 1:1 digital copy as possible that is compatible with emulation "standards" I also want something that is usable with epsxe/pcsx/pSX for desktops so I won't have to have multiple rips in order to play my games wherever I feel like playing them (guess that falls under the "standards" concept I just mentioned... :p )

On a side note: is the same person developing for all the psx4XXXX versions (android, pc, pandora, etc)?

Do you know if it supports eboot format and are there any pc psx emu that supports a compressed iso because I'd like to be able to leave all my iso's in one format instead of converting them all the time and it would be nice if they could all be a single file instead of .bin/.cue.

I think the code is finished but not yet released.

admittedly, I'm more about accuracy than compression rate... I'd want all the movies and all the audio (as I am one of the few that enjoys the full experience of a game, including cut scenes and general nuances that are lost in general iso backups... I'm one that wishes to make as much of a 1:1 digital copy as possible that is compatible with emulation "standards" I also want something that is usable with epsxe/pcsx/pSX for desktops so I won't have to have multiple rips in order to play my games wherever I feel like playing them (guess that falls under the "standards" concept I just mentioned... :p )

Well, depends. Some games (racing games, etc.) just have an intro I never watch, so I remove it.

I don't change any cutscenes or audio, but still it compresses the ISO and makes it smaller, so yay :)

On a side note: is the same person developing for all the psx4XXXX versions (android, pc, pandora, etc)?

Yep.

Well, depends. Some games (racing games, etc.) just have an intro I never watch, so I remove it.

I don't change any cutscenes or audio, but still it compresses the ISO and makes it smaller, so yay :)

so your scipt for ripping psx games preserves subchannel data in bin/cue format and the compression program is for use with psx4pandora (so I could essentially have all my isos on a 1TB (or so) external and use my desktop or laptop to compress the bin/cue files into a single .z file that psx4pandora can recognize and run? I just wanna make sure I'm fully comprehending this, because I am planning on using that scipt if it's to work to my benefit (getting all/most of the data from the authentic psx disk to a digital format to be used with emulators) and will keep up with the other program for compressing for psx4pandora use... unfortuantely, all my systems are 64bit, so WINE is not a current option, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

Does anyone know if there is a Linux or Pandora port/equivelent in development to PocketISO for compressing the PSX image files? it would be nice to have something on the actual pandora to use for this purpose slimilar to how a LOT of tools for full utilization of the pandora have been made ON the pandora itself...

so your scipt for ripping psx games preserves subchannel data in bin/cue format and the compression program is for use with psx4pandora (so I could essentially have all my isos on a 1TB (or so) external and use my desktop or laptop to compress the bin/cue files into a single .z file that psx4pandora can recognize and run? I just wanna make sure I'm fully comprehending this, because I am planning on using that scipt if it's to work to my benefit (getting all/most of the data from the authentic psx disk to a digital format to be used with emulators) and will keep up with the other program for compressing for psx4pandora use... unfortuantely, all my systems are 64bit, so WINE is not a current option, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

Exactly. The script just creates bin/cue. I'm also running WINE on my 64bit ArchLinux-Box, what's the problem here?

Does anyone know if there is a Linux or Pandora port/equivelent in development to PocketISO for compressing the PSX image files? it would be nice to have something on the actual pandora to use for this purpose slimilar to how a LOT of tools for full utilization of the pandora have been made ON the pandora itself...

No, not as far as I'm aware.

Yeah I can't recall ever having any issues with WINE and 64-Bit Linux, been running it for a while.

EDITED: removed snark.

Exactly. The script just creates bin/cue. I'm also running WINE on my 64bit ArchLinux-Box, what's the problem here?

are you running 32bit WINE or 64bit WINE?

I don't remember the exact problem anymore, as it's been at least 5 or 6 months since I last tried to run WINE on my Arch64 install... so I'd have to try it now and see if the problem still persists from back then... but now checking the repos (standard and AUR) I see there is a 32bit and 64bit version... which one are you using, ED?

I've read contradictory information on the gp32x forum where I was told that ISO files strip out the subchannel data and bin/cue did not... .ccd was considered a general equivelant to bin/cue as far as retaining subchannel data... looks like I may have to do more research on this to find out for sure...
Yes your right it is the ISO that strips the sub-channel data (which renders it useless to EMUs) because yesterday when I converted that game into all of the other compressions I never tested the ISO until I read your post. And of course the ISO wouldn't run, so heres the same game specs with a BIN file except the .cso format since you have to have an ISO to make it.

BIN = 721 MB (where the ISO is 628MB so you know somethings missing for them to be that far apart :rolleyes: )

BIN.bz = 552 MB

EBOOT = 507 MB

EDIT: (I forgot Here's my favorite tool for ripping the image IMgBurn just figured I'd add this to the sofware list for people having trouble with others.) B)

for anyone using Ubuntu or any other distro that may already have this in it's repositories, could someone validate whether or not it works?

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Backup/PSXIM-37623.shtml

It is described as a program designed specifically for backing up PSX disks and it's linux-only...

found this one as well...

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/PSXRip-19784.shtml

but there is no information between either of them what image formats they output to... Annoying, but it's a start...

^ According to the description, that's a front-end for the cdrdao commands that both myself and ED have mentioned earlier in the thread.

Well, as both ED and myself have said in this thread, we use the commands for bin/cue... :p I would guess that the front-ends would likely do the same.

EDIT: I should note that cdrdao also does bin/toc, but that isn't as useful, as toc files apparently don't have data in them that cue files do.

Well, as both ED and myself have said in this thread, we use the commands for bin/cue... :p I would guess that the front-ends would likely do the same.

EDIT: I should note that cdrdao also does bin/toc, but that isn't as useful, as toc files apparently don't have data in them that cue files do.

Hopefully, you're right... neither of the distros I use have them in the repos, so I can't find out for sure (until I package them myself) unless someone else gives them a go and gets back to this thread about it...

This is a great tool but also has a very good explanation of how CD formats work, what exactly subchannel data is etc

http://www.neillcorlett.com/ecm/

basically, in a standard data CD the "subchannel data" is used for error correction only (there is also a small amount of sync and address data stored), which is why ISO files do not include it (it is assumed to correspond to the given data files, and can be re-generated when burning again)

However, this part of the sector is used for audio (the CD player is responsible for compensating for any data losses, but its usually not noticeable). This is why an audio CD can hold more music time than a wav file of its contents:

For instance, a 700MB/80min CD would, if burned as audio and used fully, contain the equivilant to a .wav file of over 800 MB

Back