PS1 ripping/converting

andyhamer

I don't have my Pandora yet, but i wanted to get busy whilst i'm waiting ripping my games.

What's the consensus on the best method to rip & which format is best compatability wise (bin/cue, img, etc - i know certain emu's don't like certain games in certain formats)

EDIT:

One thing i forgot to ask, is there any support in either emulator (is there two?) for multidisk images (or whatever format they use) or even the possibilty to use the PSP's eboot format (i'm sure i remember creating multidisk eboot's using Popstation gui & it would also help save space, as you can compress the images)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used iso's for my Wiz and that seemed to be the best method, I'm not sure if its best for Pandora though.

I use cdrdao under Linux (Xubuntu, in my case). Here's the command to spit out a bin/cue rip;

Code:
cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile Filename.bin --device /dev/cdrom --driver generic-mmc-raw Filename.cue

Obviously, you change "Filename" to whatever you want to call it. Don't use spaces.

If this fails, you may need to change --device /dev/cdrom to --device ATAPI:0,0,0 or --device ATAPI:0,2,0 instead.

This will take care of games that have redbook audio, which I gather ".iso" rips don't deal with properly/at all.

And by the way, when you're ripping PSx games you'll probably want to keep them in bin/cue format for now, at least if you're using pcsx-reARMed. Other formats are supported, sure, but bin/cues seem to be the best-supported, and like Prometheus said, they tend to handle the PlayStations various idiosyncrasies better than ISO, img, eboot, etc.

^ It's also very speedy to rip them this way. Write or paste the command, hit enter, wait a few minutes, done - move it from your home directory to where you want it to be, and that's that. Some awkward games may take a little longer, but generally it's taken less than five minutes (usually much less) for most of mine.

Ah crap cakes, I've been doing .iso. I hate PS1 emulators, they seem to all want something different. Now I have to go to my parents house and re-rip them all. I guess I could burn them or mount the .iso and rip from there. I don't have very many games but a lot of them are 3 CDs each.

I use cdrdao under Linux (Xubuntu, in my case). Here's the command to spit out a bin/cue rip;

Code:
cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile Filename.bin --device /dev/cdrom --driver generic-mmc-raw Filename.cue

Obviously, you change "Filename" to whatever you want to call it. Don't use spaces.

If this fails, you may need to change --device /dev/cdrom to --device ATAPI:0,0,0 or --device ATAPI:0,2,0 instead.

This will take care of games that have redbook audio, which I gather ".iso" rips don't deal with properly/at all.

Hi

Anyway of doing this under OSX ?

I'm on my Macintosh at this particular moment, and (as expected), cdrdao is not present. I would guess, but I make no guarantees, that something like MacPorts or Fink might be possible routes for making it available. However, I've never really used them, so I can't advise further than that.

Code:

Wow... Talk about good timing... :lol:

It's funny... I wandered into a local Game Traders today, I had never had a chance to check it out before. I discovered the most comprehensive collection of retro games I think I've ever seen. They also seemed to have at least 1 of each of the old consoles... or at least the ones that were popular here in their day.

Anyway I decided to see if I could get a game there and get it working on the Pandora. So I picked up a copy of Tomb Raider for the PS1... installed PCSx ReARMed, hooked up an external CD/DVD drive to the Pandora... and promptly discovered it wouldn't mount the drive... so much for that idea...

So I came to the forums to find out how to rip the ROM and discovered these excellent instructions - right there on the front page! :D After a bit of work on the netbook, I now have Tomb Raider happily running on the Pandora. :)

Thanks! :)

^ Wahey, congratulations on getting your first PSX game up and running! :D Glad to be of assistance.

Hi

I have spent best part of today trying to find a way to get all my PS1 games ready for Pandora use, but all

to no avail.

Could somebody please PM me as to where I may be able to get some Pandora ready PS1 games ?

Please please please.

Still want to convert my own games though.

Ah crap cakes, I've been doing .iso. I hate PS1 emulators, they seem to all want something different. Now I have to go to my parents house and re-rip them all. I guess I could burn them or mount the .iso and rip from there. I don't have very many games but a lot of them are 3 CDs each.

Arse.. iv'e nearly done all mine as .img (and i have a lot) wish i had read the other posts, before i got a bit carried away.

Anyone know of a user friendly Windows utility to convert to bin/cue (pref freeware)

Why do people still refer to the PS1 as the PSX? There was actually a PSX console, it was a PS2 with DVR capabilities. Even the wiki says about PS1 being called PSX is 'unofficial' and I think that should be extended into 'incorrectly'. I don't think any official Sony source ever called the PS1 a PSX and then on top of that Sony made a console named PSX so even if they did call PS1 a PSX then that should officially change.

I do notice a lot of sites, mainly emulation and rom sites, have changed PSX to PS1 because of this 'new' knowledge but occasionally I still see people say PSX when they mean PS1. I had this explained to me once and accepted it but for the life of me I can't remember why it was. . .

EDIT: Oh, it was the PS1's codename, PS-X for PS-Experimental, so it is like saying how you love your Revolution-mote over the other too competitor's controllers :blink:

Hope nobody minds if i broaden the thread a little..

I wonder if anyone who has ever ripped & converted their PS1 games to play on PSP, would mind comparing how the games look & perform on both the Pandora and PSP (better/worse, about the same, controls etc..) i have converted all my collection to eboot.pbp at one time or another, and as far as i can remember didn't experience a problem (apart from the odd control issue here & there and a few of the more obtuse Jap games) i own more games for the PS1 than any other system, so if i sound a bit rabid.. apologies, but over the years PS1 game acquisition has become like a peverse version of Pokemon for me.. the more obscure, the more i desire!

This makes me happy because I wanted to play the Gex games on my pandora when it comes and i've only been able to find bin/cue files.

This next part is off topic but the PC emulator i had was giving me trouble when trying to load bin/cue files. IS there:

A; A bios i would need to run them

or

B: A free program that converts bin/cue to ISO?

And by the way, when you're ripping PSx games you'll probably want to keep them in bin/cue format for now, at least if you're using pcsx-reARMed. Other formats are supported, sure, but bin/cues seem to be the best-supported, and like Prometheus said, they tend to handle the PlayStations various idiosyncrasies better than ISO, img, eboot, etc.
I've not really had a problem with eboots I've tested a few games using bin and eboot and they were very close to the same FPS if not the same. It would probably be best though to rip them as bin first and then change them latter on to eboot especially if your limited on space, because I changed my 60GB collection into 42GB by doing so. (if you can't tell I grew up on Playstation) :D

At least until my mid teen then switched to Gamecube but I guess I'll have to wait for Pandora 2 for that, not to mention Gamecube games are a pain in the @$$ to rip. <_<

This makes me happy because I wanted to play the Gex games on my pandora when it comes and i've only been able to find bin/cue files.

This next part is off topic but the PC emulator i had was giving me trouble when trying to load bin/cue files. IS there:

A; A bios i would need to run them

or

B: A free program that converts bin/cue to ISO?

Hi

I cannot find any BIN/CUE files, where are they, PM me please :)

Cas, you can't ask for things like that here. But we can probably walk you through ripping your own games if you give us more information on your operating system, the tools you're using etc.

Why do people still refer to the PS1 as the PSX? There was actually a PSX console, it was a PS2 with DVR capabilities. Even the wiki says about PS1 being called PSX is 'unofficial' and I think that should be extended into 'incorrectly'. I don't think any official Sony source ever called the PS1 a PSX and then on top of that Sony made a console named PSX so even if they did call PS1 a PSX then that should officially change.
Basically all available technical material refers to it as PSX, including the official leaked SDK, emulator sources, etc.

Back