RISC OS?

Yeah, the support we get from this community and from ED and his team is something worth holding on to, but purely in terms of years or support, I don't know many computer companies can beat RISC OS Open, who I think still produce RiscPC images - a machine that I think is over 20 years old today.

Yesterday the Pyra arrives me. Have spend two hour...
First try with nativ RISC OS (OMAP5 ROM) was not successful. I will try serial debug next few days.
But the "Linuxport" is working. Is not an emulator. RISC OS is running as an executable. Very fast and I have access to the Linux environment...
The binarys you find here... https://github.com/TimothyEBaldwin/RISC_OS_Linux_Binary

riscos_linux.jpg

Last edited:
I totally forgot they do offer a RISC OS beta for OMAP5! What really surprises me: the build is even quite recent, so there's still active work!
It's for the devboards IGEPv5 and OMAP5432EVM. But I wonder, do(es) they (he/she) even know about the Pyra? Maybe the maintainer is interested in a collaboration, but I also appreciate your attempt @Raik.

Last edited:
Except for geeky things (that I approve anyway), what is the advantage of this OS in comparison of Debian ?

As far as I read, this is comparable more to Windows 3.x than to recent OSes, so it just uses less resources in exchange to less stability ?

Except for geeky things (that I approve anyway), what is the advantage of this OS in comparison of Debian ?

As far as I read, this is comparable more to Windows 3.x than to recent OSes, so it just uses less resources in exchange to less stability ?
Likely for people that have nostalgia running it back on the Acorn computers.

It's for the devboards IGEPv5 and OMAP5432EVM. But I wonder, do(es) they (he/she) even know about the Pyra? Maybe the maintainer is interested in a collaboration, but I also appreciate your attempt @Raik.
The maintainer of the OMAP5 RISC OS port is also a German, has ordered a Pyra and we are occasional in contact ... hope more next time ;-)
For the initial OMAP5 port in 2016(?) we get some help from the Pyra team (thanks to HNS). The OMAP5 specs are not free.

Last edited:
Likely for people that have nostalgia running it back on the Acorn computers.
If you can't let go of the Amiga you can use MorphOS or an Aros distribution like Icaros Desktop. If you can't let go of BeOS there is Haiku. If you shed a tear for OS/2 you can use ArcaOS. If you can't let go of WindowsXP, take ReactOS. If you're sad about the discontinuation of OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana is your new friend. If Plan 9 was your kink, there's 9front.

Whenever computers or systems are dying, there are people keeping the spirit alive. And so RISC OS won't disappear either any soon.

Whenever computers or systems are dying, there are people keeping the spirit alive. And so RISC OS won't disappear either any soon.
It's pretty "crazy"... We have more supported hardware than at "heydays of RISC OS" but it depends on the "basics". WiFi support... not really, browser... Netsurf fast but not usable with many pages, Iris compatible but very slow..., the development environment is 90's, games... even the newest of the last few years can't keep up with the old ones from Archimedes times... youtube, not directly in the browser, my ytplay is just an ugly attempt to close the gap. No whatsapp etc... ok an telegram messenger support is available... ROOL consists of three programmers, each with a different main job.
Too bad, the operating system itself can easily keep up with the "top dogs", but what's the point if the programs and the peripherie support are missing. Most things can be done somehow but not really comfortably.
So we starts with the Pyra port ;-)

My own setup is ready...
StartBS.png

and I run any bechmarks... on Panda and Pandora RISC OS is the nativ OS. No Linux or what ever behind.
On Pyra it is the RISC OS executable ... something like Wine for WIN progs.

RISCOSmark 1.01p (14 May 2003)
Comparison with Pandaboard Cortex A9 1.2GHz running RISC OS 5.20 1280x720,16M colour
OS/Machine/Processor: RISC OS 5.29, Pandora, OMAP3 1GHz
Graphics Resolution: 800x480, 16M colours

Test
Processor - Looped instructions (cache) --> 871902 --> 46%
Memory - Multiple register transfer --> 6161 --> 63%
Rectangle Copy - Graphics acceleration test --> 667 --> 33%
Icon Plotting - 16 colour sprite with mask --> 11682 --> 90%
Draw Path - Stroke narrow line --> 4361 --> 65%
Draw Fill - Plot filled shape --> 4475 --> 99%

OS/Machine/Processor: RISC OS 5.29, Pyra, OMAP5
Graphics Resolution: 1268x635, 16M colours

Test
Processor - Looped instructions (cache) --> 3720709 --> 199%
Memory - Multiple register transfer --> 27447 --> 283%
Rectangle Copy - Graphics acceleration test --> 7525 --> 376%
Icon Plotting - 16 colour sprite with mask --> 28185 --> 218%
Draw Path - Stroke narrow line --> 13014 --> 196%
Draw Fill - Plot filled shape --> 14541 --> 322%

Upps....

Have add LTE connection via surfstick. Is supported as a "cable device" in Linux.

LTEKabel.png

The internal 4G module will not work. I see an LTE network but I can not connect.
HDMI will also not work :-(

Step by step...

Last edited:
"Fast and Dirty" I once tried to create "motion pictures".
The result can be seen on "RISC OS Berlin"...

It is accessed from the Titanium under RISC OS.
Better for the eyes ;-)
Not all "gold" but it shines ;-)

Step by step. There is now also a desktop (at this time only "standard settings") via Displaylink. My old SD card seems a bit slow. Where graphics acceleration is needed, Displaylink is a bit slow (Titanium (also OMAP5) has the same GPU like the Pyra and give 195% rectangle copy) ;-) But it works well for testing various things. The normally desktop is fast enough.

Pyra.jpg

Last edited:
Now Id like to see the same tests as you did before, especially between native and running it in linux.

Not sure what you mean...

In an older post I wrote the Benchmarks with the Linux executable RISC OS...

OS/Machine/Processor: RISC OS 5.29, Pyra, OMAP5
Graphics Resolution: 1268x635, 16M colours
Test
Processor - Looped instructions (cache) --> 3720709 --> 199%
Memory - Multiple register transfer --> 27447 --> 283%
Rectangle Copy - Graphics acceleration test --> 7525 --> 376%
Icon Plotting - 16 colour sprite with mask --> 28185 --> 218%
Draw Path - Stroke narrow line --> 13014 --> 196%
Draw Fill - Plot filled shape --> 14541 --> 322%

Screenshot yesterday you see the one with native RISC OS but Grafic output via USB Displaylink (Display and HDMI not working in RISC OS at this time)

Graphics Resolution: 1280x720, 16M colours
Test
(In brackets the values of the OMAP5 EVM with 1.5GHz.)
Edit: EVM Resolution 1920x1080, 16M
Processor - Looped instructions (cache) --> 2986004 --> 160% (202%)
Memory - Multiple register transfer --> 22474 --> 231% (358%)
Rectangle Copy - Graphics acceleration test --> 76 --> 3% (196%)
Icon Plotting - 16 colour sprite with mask --> 25396 --> 196% (319%)
Draw Path - Stroke narrow line --> 9511 --> 143% (175%)
Draw Fill - Plot filled shape --> 14185 --> 314% (386%)

Is not complete comparable. The executable has an StrongARM based instruction set and the benchmark tool is from RISC PC (also Strong ARM). Not all (newer) software runs on the executable.
The port is very early. PreAlpha. Not complete, not optimized. I think the EVM results are the one we get for the Pyra at the end but the end is not near.

Last edited:
Back