Rise of the Triad

GiG

The mighty penguin cat
Website
www.webalice.it
I was wandering why DooM works perfectly at 133Mhz (or more), while Rise of the Triad works very well, with sound, at 66Mhz... and it is only at version 0.2b...

Well, Rise of the Triad was released later than DooM, so you could think that its code complexity is higher than in DooM, but... this is absolutely false. Now I remember that in ROTT the level maps were made of squares (like in Wolf3D... or Sokoban :lol: ), while the DooM maps were a lot more complex.

Go Craigix go! Your throne won't be stolen! Why don't you make a SNES and a Genesis emulator? :lol:
...why not a 32X emulator?

ROTT is great fun, and it does have quite a few things that Doom doesnt have, such as true rooms over rooms, even if it is a bit basic.

You know Heretic lets you look up and down and fly + all the usual doom stuff!

(try making those controls with the gp32s limited buttons!)

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craig, I once made a great button layout for first person games. I made it so it could even work with something as complex as Suke3d (which has HEAPS of buttons).

I posted it on this board, but I forget where =/

Well, ROTT hasn't so many buttons and i think i've mapped ALL the most useful ones.

As a joke: a FPS is a shooting game, having the shoot and movement is enough, and look up and down isn't necessary if you implement auto-homing bullets hahaha :D :D :D

craig is developing the heretic port, he was just saying how it compares to ROTT =)

Oh, by the way, I posed about ROTT in www.3drealms.com forums. Joe3DR says he thinks its cool. =)

ROTT has auto-aim, so looking up and down won't be a problem... And it is a "true" 3D game where you can go under an object which can be stood on, unlike the other games that came out that were basically the whole area extruded from the ground up. (Although Duke3D overcame this, rather well, by having some cleverly thought out maps!) :)

I am not saying ROTT was a bad game: it was nice, I completed it too, but I can't remember almost anything of it, while I remember almost all DooM secrets!
Well, tastes are tastes.

Perhaps playing it on my GP32 will be more funny than on a 486.

(I can't believe that ROTT won against Descent... :angry: )

(I appreciated Catacomb Abyss more than ROTT, perhaps because I played it on a 6Mhz CPU)

(You don't know what Catacomb Abyss is, I suppose...... well, search for it, and tell me why Id Software never talks about it, even if it is a great game, older than Wolf3D: it is a mix of DooM and Heretic)

(Well, there is Catacomb 3D too, that is older than Catacomb Abyss, but it was not so good)

Back