Rock solid battery and MicroUSB-Port

I think aTc's prototype had to do just that for a while as he was having battery alignment issues.
I think that's actually been a design constraint going into the layout - it was specifically wired with specific chips so that it can run exclusively on external power if a battery isn't present. Unlike the Pandora, it's not an accident that some units will let you do that - on Pyra all should.

this is great news to hear that the battery issue us fixed. we didn't want a Samsung issue\o/
man i cant wait till this get here thou.

Yes, it can run without a battery.
Even better: If a battery is inserted and you run off AC, it will not use the battery at all (except if the Pyra needs more power than the AC can provide).

So the battery is not even strained when running with AC plugged in.

So it is safe to insert and remove the battery while powered by cable or charger?

So it is safe to insert and remove the battery while powered by cable or charger?

Yes, the charger chip can handle that (AFAIR).
[doublepost=1477697332,1477696985][/doublepost]Quick update:
Nikolaus finished the tester PCBs and made some tests.

Our LCD Cables are working perfectly fine with the connectors!
Hurray! So most likely, we won't need another sample run - these would be ready for mass production :)

To make sure it's not something else that's broken, I will try the tester with one of the cables which has the too-thick stiffener and see whether it damages the connector or not.

DSC00578.jpeg

Even better: If a battery is inserted and you run off AC, it will not use the battery at all (except if the Pyra needs more power than the AC can provide).

So the battery is not even strained when running with AC plugged in.

Presumably if you plug it in with a battery already inserted, it will at least charge the battery.

Will we have control over the charging process of the battery ?
For example I would like to prevent the battery from charging more than 80% as to increase the lifespan of the battery.
You may not have user space control over it, like that particular option may not be exposed to you as a user, but I can guarantee that it's a fairly simple thing to modify at source and just compile yourself if that's what you really want, if nothing else.
On the Pandora this can be done easily, just modify a script file. If it's not immediately available for the Pyra a feature request could probably make it so.

Reactions: szr
Off-topic (perhaps impertinent) questions here, @EvilDragon --:

You work(ed) with several other companies -- Golden Delicious, Global Components, FormAction etc. -- to get the Pyra made. I wonder what they think about the Pyra, especially compared with what else they work on? Are any of them likely customers? Is the Pyra weirder or more complex than their other projects? Have they seen or played with the prototypes? Are there any amusing anecdotes, about misunderstanding the nature or purpose of the device or whatever?

I suppose that @hns can answer these for himself, with an extra: are you likely to use a Pyra as a phone, or is it too cumbersome for you?

Apologies if these questions are improper.

The main webpage says "Mass production and delivery is planned to happen within this year."

The main webpage says "Mass production and delivery is planned to happen within this year."
Keyword in that sentence is: planned.

You can interpret that as, "in my initial time estimate it would happen this year" but also as "contract with the factory states units need to have been produced before the end of this year".
Given the history of the project, my guess is that it is closer to the first than to the second interpretation.

On the topic of LCD cable reliability, ED, wondering what your process is for durability testing? Not questioning your prep at all, more just curious to know what steps you take if any? Or do you leave that to the vendors?

Could be an insightful focus for a future video, and also reassuring for fans who wonder about durability, if you were to elaborate further. I'm interested to know what kind of abuse a finished Pyra can dependably endure!

And I didn't even use fire breath!

Is the case fireproof?
I know you can smash it with a hammer but does it withstand fire?

You surely remember the Pandora which was inside a burning house.
It was melted but working. So did we improve the case for thar use case?

Very good news, N900 had problems with SMD connector falling from PCB with a plug. It's good that it is well protected by through-hole pins.

One more question: How vibration motor is connected to PCB? I've seen it in movie from prototype production.
Won't soldering it decrease life of PCB? I think about vibrations going to PCB. While repairing electronic devices I found new soldering alloy likes to "grow horns" in vibration conditions. I don't know how to call it and why it happens, but I've seen many electronic devices and these manufactured in last 8-10 years had spikes protruding from solders when they were used in vibration.

To produce 1500 Pyras, additional 325 - 480 orders are needed.
After we sold 1500 Pyras, we can afford to produce a little batch of 500 without any preorderings.
[...]
Currently while I'm posting this, we're sitiing at 621 orders.

so if we want to get to 1500, we need 621+480 (worst case) = 1101 preorders? come on people, only 176 to go :)

in the best case, we need 946 preorders = 21 more!

(though ED should correct me if these numbers need updating...)

Back