Roguelikes?

Alex777

Still Fresh
Who's tried porting/playing a roguelike on the Pandora? I expect it to be a great platform for portable crawling.

Share your stories!

Alex777 said:
Who's tried porting/playing a roguelike on the Pandora? I expect it to be a great platform for portable crawling.

Share your stories!

Tried to telnet to nethack.alt.org and got "error opening terminal: network", me thinks either some terminal files are missing or incorrectly set. Now to dig around and figure out what is actually wrong though :/.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a quick look at porting Nethack, but it has a messy Makefile; really surprised no one fixed that over the years, to make it easy to cross compile, given it has relatively low system requirements otherwise.

I'm sure someone will get to it; otherwise, I'm really tird up the next month.. but if no one has done it by the time my life gets back to normal, I'll tackle it; we really need nethack (or gnomehack, etc.)

jeff

I'd love to see someone port Dzz's GP2X port of Nethack. I know we don't really need the menus, since we have a full keyboard... but I always thought they worked really well with the game.

--Zero

Because playing it on DosBox is a bit wasteful. Why run a (system-wise) very heavy emulator to run a program that only needs a quick recompile to run natively?

Yeah, powder should be the easiest port ever. ARM-based, GP2X port, touchscreen input, keyboard input. Basically, it supports everything the pandora does, and should be pretty easy to compile.

I intend to play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup... The non tiles version should be easier to have from day way. Or even the online one via ssh!

I just stumbled across Angband, open source, SDL based... looks like my first porting project! :)
http://rephial.org/

centus said:
I just stumbled across Angband, open source, SDL based... looks like my first porting project! :)
http://rephial.org/
"just stumbled across Angband"! you mean you'd not already heard of it! May your trousers be infested by AMHDs ! ;)

Angband is awesome and has been around for ages, it's well worth checking out, it's also damn portable too.

kmob said:
Angband is awesome and has been around for ages, it's well worth checking out, it's also damn portable too.

The roguelike I've most played. Heck, the GAME I've most played. Way too addictive.

Zangband is my preferred variant. I played the game a lot, but I eventually moved to Stone Soup because of how grindy it became.

The only rogue(-ish) game I care about these days is Dwarf Fortress.

Don't know how slow it'd be on the Pandora, but it would be awesome.

I've ported Angband (rephial edition.) Its set up to use the GTK frontend. SDL and x11 frontends were wonky :(

This is the latesr beta (not the stable), which has the tile options (like Adam Bolts etc) and more font options/etc; the stable version stinks for GTK :)

Will send p to the dl.openhandhelds soon.

Caution, this build still uses your NAND homedir for storing files, not the SD card; sorry about that, ran out of time for tonight. But its playable nicely :)

http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/angband/binaries/Angband312v2.pnd

jeff

Back