Roller Coaster Tycoon Port ?

assassin2k

Still Fresh
Sorry if this has been asked before but i played transport tycoon on my GP2X yesterday and it got me wondering if it would be possible to port over Roller Coaster Tycoon because it seems to have a similar feel to it , i havent got a clue when it comes to programing that is why im asking if its possible or if annyone has attempted it.

It might be possible to make a Roller Coaster Tycoon hombrew game using the Transport Tycoon source since they seem to share a lot.

nickspoon posted on Jul 28 2006 at 03:18 PM said:
200px-Orly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
jpic3yk posted on Jul 28 2006 at 10:02 AM said:
It might be possible to make a Roller Coaster Tycoon hombrew game using the Transport Tycoon source since they seem to share a lot.

They share nothing at all except for an isometric engine and the word 'Tycoon'.

Seriously. Not even close. RCT's iso engine is a lot better too.

Sparr posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:49 PM said:
jpic3yk posted on Jul 28 2006 at 10:02 AM said:

They share nothing at all except for an isometric engine and the word 'Tycoon'.

Seriously. Not even close. RCT's iso engine is a lot better too.

I know they are completley different games, but it's a lot easier to make a game when you allready have an engine

Shikaku posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
I guess it is 100% impossible to get it ported then, huh? [/slight sarcasm]
True, I didn't really mean it like that - but it is a little different than trying to compile existing code and seeing where it needs modification.
I haven't done a lot of assembly, but I'm under the impression that converting x86 to ARM9 would be a hell of a lot of work - non?

Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 28 2006 at 04:34 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
I guess it is 100% impossible to get it ported then, huh? [/slight sarcasm]
True, I didn't really mean it like that - but it is a little different than trying to compile existing code and seeing where it needs modification.
I haven't done a lot of assembly, but I'm under the impression that converting x86 to ARM9 would be a hell of a lot of work - non?

Yes it would, most assembly isn't portable to different architectures

Shikaku posted on Jul 28 2006 at 10:40 PM said:
Yes it would, most assembly isn't portable to different architectures

And also a source code of like 4000 lines get's around 40'000 or 50'000 lines in assembly. And Rollercoaster tycoon for sure uses a lot more than 4000 lines. So, forget about it, you'll never find anyone that will do that.

And the engine argument:

"Hey, we've got the SuperTux engine, now it is easy to port the xbox version of outrun 2006."

Just because they're both isometric, they don't use the same engine.

DaveN posted on Jul 28 2006 at 10:51 PM said:
"Hey, we've got the SuperTux engine, now it is easy to port the xbox version of outrun 2006."

Just because they're both isometric, they don't use the same engine.
I didn't know outrun 2006 was a sidescrolling 2D game. ^_^

Magnulus posted on Jul 29 2006 at 04:03 AM said:

RCT isn't a 2D game either.

Sparr posted on Jul 30 2006 at 01:52 AM said:
Magnulus posted on Jul 29 2006 at 04:03 AM said:

RCT isn't a 2D game either.

However, I was referring to the comparison between SuperTux and Outrun 2006 which he used to allude to the comparison between TT and RCT. You would have noticed that if you had paid attention rather than focused on being a smart-arse.

TT and RCT do look very similar, visually, when you play them, and the GUI seems to be very similar too. Being a programmer, I reuse my code a lot if it's good code, so I can imagine Chris Sawyer reusing some of his old graphics and gui code, altering it along the way, but recycling it nonetheless. But keep in mind all the stuff you would need to do to turn TT into RCT. First off, you need to prerender a truckload of 3d models at different angles, somehow working the palette into an interchangeable one so you can change the colors and stuffs. Not to mention, RCT has rollercoasters, whereas TT has cars and trains and boats and stuff, so I'd imagine TT woulnd't have a whole lot of suitable physics programming built in to power a rollercoaster simulation at a satisfactory quality and grade of realism.

TT -> RCT isn't impossible, but the work it would involve is very great, and it would take a very dedicated team to handle it, especially considering they'd probably be working for free (open source, right?).

It would be impossible to replicate RCT exactly (duh), but one probably could create a similar game.

But with all that headway, workload, interpreting the code, understanding how the routines work, etc, why not just create a clone from scratch?

Back