Rts Games On Pandora

rmm21 said:
If source became available, I would drool all over myself(more than usual) for Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors.

Love that game even more than curling. :)
I actually tried to ask MS if they'd release the source for the Age of Kings engine, but got referred to a a helpline where "they would be better suited to answer my inquiry." In short, I was on hold for a good deal of time and eventually hung up.

I may try again, though, as AoE II is probably the best RTS ever (IMO, feel free to disagree).

Last edited by a moderator:
jakewastaken said:
God Ginrai said:
stustaff said:
Eniko said:
There's also always the mother of all RTSes: Dune 2 which I think should run just fine on Dosbox.
If not the Amiga version will almost certainly run fine!

Command and conquer 1 and 2?

I just hope I can get Red Alert running on my Pandora. (Possibly with the Aftermath data as well)

-God Ginrai

Oh hell yeah red alert!

Wait, is red alert possible???

Night Wind said:
jakewastaken said:
God Ginrai said:
stustaff said:
Eniko said:
There's also always the mother of all RTSes: Dune 2 which I think should run just fine on Dosbox.

I just hope I can get Red Alert running on my Pandora. (Possibly with the Aftermath data as well)

-God Ginrai

Oh hell yeah red alert!

Red Alert is possible with PSX emulation (However, I can not vouch for how good the PSX version is, I've heard mixed reviews). If someone ports FreeRA or FreeCNC, Red Alert should be possible using the PC data. And if DOSBox has enough power, then it might be able to play Red Alert as well.

-God Ginrai

Night Wind said:
jakewastaken said:
God Ginrai said:
stustaff said:
Eniko said:

-God Ginrai

Oh hell yeah red alert!

I didn't mean to imply that it is, I'd just be really happy if it was.

God Ginrai said:
Red Alert is possible with PSX emulation (However, I can not vouch for how good the PSX version is, I've heard mixed reviews). If someone ports FreeRA or FreeCNC, Red Alert should be possible using the PC data. And if DOSBox has enough power, then it might be able to play Red Alert as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Red Alert had a dos version. Bad ass. I still have it, LOVE that game. The FreeRA would work too.... nice. I hope it works out.......
EDIT: quote pyramid - Chip

Night Wind said:
Oh yeah, I forgot that Red Alert had a dos version. Bad ass. I still have it, LOVE that game. The FreeRA would work too.... nice. I hope it works out.......
Yea, Red Alert is what got me into RTSes. I still think that the Red Alert games beat all other RTSes hands down.

-God Ginrai
EDIT: quote pyramid - Chip

Red alert on the pandora would basically complete my life. It would be great on dosbox, because the psx version isn't as good. Better still, if online play could be integraded I could play god ginari in a pandora to pandora red alert duel. Happy thoughts.

Red Alert would be especially appealing to many people because you can now download it for free.

Now that we have 256mb RAM, we can port Spring properly. Here's its requirements:

* 1 GHz single core CPU
* 256 MB of RAM
* 64 MB Nvidia Geforce 3 graphics card
* Roughly 100 MB of hard drive space, depending on how many maps and mods you download with the installer.

I wouldn't quite say properly. You need 64MB graphics RAM as well as the 256MB system RAM. Maybe if someone worked with the developers on reducing the memory footprint a bit, it could be possible. Second, it would have to be totally ported over to OpenGL ES 2.0, which could be a very big feat for an engine as complex as Spring seems to be. Finally, we'd have to make sure that the processor requirement is met. If we overclock the Cortex to 900MHz, we could probably do it.

So it would be possible, but would require a VERY experienced dev to port it (and probably work with the Spring dev team on the port).

fretfrenzy182 said:
Red alert on the pandora would basically complete my life. It would be great on dosbox, because the psx version isn't as good. Better still, if online play could be integraded I could play god ginari in a pandora to pandora red alert duel. Happy thoughts.
That would be fun. I would very much enjoy doing that. ;)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
fretfrenzy182 said:

-God Ginrai

fancy another player? lol. love that game was probably my first rts games

Spray190 said:
God Ginrai said:
fretfrenzy182 said:

-God Ginrai

fancy another player? lol. love that game was probably my first rts games

Other players are always welcome. ;) Let's just hope it actually becomes possible. ^_^;

Red Alert was my first RTS as well.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Other players are always welcome. ;) Let's just hope it actually becomes possible. ^_^;

Red Alert was my first RTS as well.

-God Ginrai
Mine too :p. We have dos version too but only one disadvantage is the small 320x200 resolution.
Well, there is PSX version too but we have to use analog pad to handle cursor <_<.

Mine too :p. We have dos version too but only one disadvantage is the small 320x200 resolution.
Well, there is PSX version too but we have to use analog pad to handle cursor <_<.

I'm fairly sure openredalert will compile with no problems at all - it is based on sdl which is already ported

Heh RA is good and I hope it will be on the pandora, but my first RTS is Dune2 on the Genesis) so I don't even need anything except genesis emulator which will be at the start to play it)

Capn_Fish said:
Red Alert would be especially appealing to many people because you can now download it for free.
Wait a minute. Aren't you the dev for OpenRedAlert? I though I saw you on other forums posting that you were the dev for it. o_ô

-God Ginrai

Back