Rubber Ext Cap Vs Cradle

jose1711

Website
Visit site
hello,

please how do you sit gp2x unit into cradle so that it fits correctly? my ext rubber cap just does not want to let it go the whole way down. do i have to rip it off?! :eek:

thank you for your reply.

jozef

You have to cut it off. Also, you may need to carve out a larger opening for your power switch (or turn on your '2X with a knife blade), also the USB port is covered up.

Well it takes a bit of finagling but if you take out your 2X's batteries and power it off of a ac adapter you can pull back the rubber tab and tape it inside the battery well. You'll need to pull it a bit but it will work, I don't really like the rubber tab but it does keep unwanted gunk out of it's innards.

Also you can just open the GP2X up (remove the 4 screws and carefully prise it open just a little at the bottom) and it will slip out. Only issue there is some of the screws can be REALLY tight.

How I do love THE lovely Break-Out Box, it iS qUite Completely King, Something to keep in mind

Why isn't this just fixed dammit? I can't believe a year to drop a product as crappy as this.

Basically their "engineer" needs some more schooling. The bare minimum when dropping a crappy product would be to release a document with it showing the knife and how to cut a brand-new product to a usable shape.

Of course newbies would rightfully be frightened off by unpacking a new product with a picture of how to cut on it with a carving knife and they wouldn't get a lot of business.

Ugh, can't anyone beat some sense into them? Unfortunately the only way to make them listen would be to quit selling it, but financially that wouldn't work.

Fun to see how we perpetuate the cycle. I wish I could program so I would have a use for this console, I am at a dead-end with the hardware side, until I feel like doing some internal USB host and a top A/V out, take that dumbass Bob.

Though I agree with you, I'm very happy with my Crucible/Gamepad setup. :D

TelcoLou said:
Though I agree with you, I'm very happy with my Crucible/Gamepad setup. :D
:lol: :lol: Good one, still too expensive for me. I wish Descent worked with the keyboard :(, or at least the PSX pad. I haven't seen my USB host cable in a month because there isn't any support.

Come to think of it I haven't seen my GP2X in a month because there isn't any support, anybody want it for $150 plus shipping? Comes with a 2GB SD card and 2 pair of 2500Mah Nimh and a charger, and a carry case and the DaveC stick cap. It is a MK1 and the screen is much better than the MK2 (this one doesn't have issues, and the viewing angle on MK1 is so much better than the MK2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings. I received the cradle about a month ago; after fanagling the gp2x with the rubber ext cap in various positions, I was still unable to get the gp2x to power the cradle. I tried pulling the cap out. I thought for a moment and realized I can either cut the cap off or open the gp2x and retrieve the cap. I decided the latter. After opening it up I got the ext cap out, and the headphone cap fell out. I put the headphone cap back in and the left shoulder button fell out. Even the On slider switch went sideways. I got the on switch aligned properly but it seems to slide easier than before. I put shoulder button back and sealed up the unit. The shoulder button stuck and did not have spring release. I opened the gp2x and tried to get the button into the rotator hole on the case but was unable. I was also unable to completely remove the back panel from the rest of the unit. Finally, I sealed up the gp2x only part way and the left shoulder button slowly releases (no spring action). It was late at night. The next day when powering up, I discovered moving the joystick to the left does not move the game character to the left. I am hoping the joystick is misaligned and not broken. I am stupid for opening it and not being more careful to keep everything in place. Better yet, I should not have opened it a few days after receiving it and voiding the warranty.

I am pleased with the gp2x overall. It did work out of the box including builtin games and test movies, and once I got an SD card with a nes emulator, it ran fine. The snes emulator is not detecting the roms. I was unable to play avi movies so far. I cannot complain that the GP2X product is worthless, because it and GP32 are the only homebrew handheld game systems available. The same people talking rudely about GPH for the cradle and build crucibles are the same people who use the GP2X instead of building their own handheld!

We love the homebrew and emulation of the GP2X. The cradle, however, was poorly designed. They even designed a slot for the wristband to go out of. LOL I don't know why they did not ship an ext cable with the cradle or have room for the ext cap to fall into. The cap problem enticed me to open up the gp2x and create more problems. Also, the instruction guide had no instructions on actually connecting the GP2X to the cradle. I am sympathetic with GPH; they are a small company that was able to deliver a product to a niche market. And they only have one main product to profit from. Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft have many products and are large.

If anyone has any helpful tips for fixing the joystick, the left shoulder button, and the On switch and how to remove the back completely from the case, please write back. Thank you so much.

Take care,
Mark

P.S. I hope the next model of GP handheld has 3D processing and can emulate the Atari Jag in real time!

Hey Chaosman, I love your attitude. :D
About the shoulder button, at least on my GP2X, the button is one single component with no external spring, it is built in. It might be that just
the plastic that pushes the button is misaligned or something like that. You could try taking it off and inserting again.
Take care.

Hi Miika,

I have the MK2 GP2X. The shoulder button is one piece. I mean that it "springs back" into place. Not a metal spring. It does appear to be misaligned. Two pegs are connected to the shoulder and are part of the shoulder, and these pegs go into a hole each, one in the back case and one in the main piece, the shoulder button rotates by these pegs. In my situation one peg is not in the back-case hole. So when I sealed it up it rides tight and doesn't spring release as it should.

Because I haven't been able to completely remove the back panel, it's been hard to realign the shoulder button. The shoulder button is still usable provided I don't seal the unit up tightly. I am more concerned about the joystick or thumbstick alignment. I don't remember its name.

Add four problems to fix one! lol

Thanks, Miika. I am going to try opening it up again, tomorrow. Additional help from y'all is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

Chaosman said:
Hi Miika,

I have the MK2 GP2X. The shoulder button is one piece. I mean that it "springs back" into place. Not a metal spring. It does appear to be misaligned. Two pegs are connected to the shoulder and are part of the shoulder, and these pegs go into a hole each, one in the back case and one in the main piece, the shoulder button rotates by these pegs. In my situation one peg is not in the back-case hole. So when I sealed it up it rides tight and doesn't spring release as it should.

Because I haven't been able to completely remove the back panel, it's been hard to realign the shoulder button. The shoulder button is still usable provided I don't seal the unit up tightly. I am more concerned about the joystick or thumbstick alignment. I don't remember its name.

Add four problems to fix one! lol

Thanks, Miika. I am going to try opening it up again, tomorrow. Additional help from y'all is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark
I see. Yeah it can be hard to get the back part of the casing off, because the battery connectors. Take the batteries out and just pull the case more from the bottom part. Well, you could always try to return the unit because of the joystick, how do they know you ever opened it?

Thanks, Miika. Tomorrow, I will try pulling the back part more to the bottom part after removing the batteries and let you know how it goes. If that fails I will try to return it, by sending an email to the online store.

Cheers,
Mark

People seem to have a lot of confusion with the cradle. What you do is:
1- Remove the batteries and push the rubber EXT cover into the battery slot.
2- Connect a three port powerboard to your mains.
3- Connect the mains plugs for GP2X power adapter, cradle power adapter, external hard drive power adapter to the powerboard.
4- Connect the hard drive usb connector and any other usb devices to the cradle.
5- Switch the GP2X power switch to the on position and insert the GP2X into the cradle.
6- Switching mains power on will switch on the GP2X and all the accessories
Switching mains power off at the wall will switch off the GP2X, cradle and hard drive all at once.

I don't understand the confusion

5- Switch the GP2X power switch to the on position and insert the GP2X into the cradle.
6- Switching mains power on will switch on the GP2X and all the accessories
Switching mains power off at the wall will switch off the GP2X, cradle and hard drive all at once.

I don't understand the confusion

Actually this is the part where it won't work for me. I bought a MKII and the ext connector is in an entirely differnent angle than on the GP2X. This makes it impossible to connect, even with force. I had to rebuild the connector part to get it to match my GP2X's angle. (The angle is about 15-20 degrees too much to the back, force would destroy the connector on the GP2X)

Serious design flaw I say...

Dragu said:
Actually this is the part where it won't work for me. I bought a MKII and the ext connector is in an entirely differnent angle than on the GP2X. This makes it impossible to connect, even with force. I had to rebuild the connector part to get it to match my GP2X's angle. (The angle is about 15-20 degrees too much to the back, force would destroy the connector on the GP2X)

Serious design flaw I say...
Yeah, I haven't actually used my cradle since I bought it (been using the GP2X on the go mostly, haven't felt the urge to hook it up to the TV or use external gamepads until just now) but as I finally got around to removing the EXT cover, I noticed afterwards that my GP2X MK2 won't actually attach to the cradle at all, it'll just sit and weigh on top of the connector without making contact with it, so no cradle function works - no TV-out, no USB... Tried using force but to no avail. As design flaws go, that's pretty much fatal. Can't help but wonder if the F-200 will have this issue with the cradle as well... :huh:
The funny thing is that everything looks just right (angle/distance-wise) so I'm still at a loss as to why it won't fit.

I think it'd be interesting to other MK2 owners (myself included) out here to know how you managed to fix your cradle to fit the MK2 unit. A guide/howto/pictorial, perhaps?

cappuchok - I don't understand. My cradle fit perfectly my MK2 as well as the current MK1.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCVQ4kxhW0

Aki said:
cappuchok - I don't understand. My cradle fit perfectly my MK2 as well as the current MK1.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCVQ4kxhW0

If I try to attach my GP2X (MK2) to the cradle, it just rests on top of the EXT connector on the cradle, so it won't go down as far as the GP2X in the video and thus won't connect to the cradle. Everything looks correct angle-wise, but even applying force doesn't let the console connect to the cradle - it just won't go any further down.

EDIT: Some silly putty applied between the connectors shows that the alignment is off by ~1mm on the "Z axis" which is enough to not let the devices connect - there just isn't enough room in the cradle to align the connectors correctly so the GP2X will rest on the front edge of the cradle's connector. :(

Back