Rumor: Apple Might Take Over Arm?

I keep hoping that Atmel will step up an create a really killer AVR32. This would be an effective kick-in-the-pants, but I'm still glad it was probably a hoax.

Don't forget Google. If Apple were serious, I doubt Google would let them basically kill Android on ARM for future devices.

fischju2000 said:
Don't forget Google. If Apple were serious, I doubt Google would let them basically kill Android on ARM for future devices.
Even if Apple were to buy ARM, I'd be willing to bet that contracts exist far enough out that the larger companies that rely on ARM would have time to find or create a suitable alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
If they did shut down ARM the Pandora2 would probably be some ATOM based hardware with shitty battery life.
fucking... YES!!!! WoW on a handheld? BRILLIANT

dare I say? go apple!?!?

WizardStan said:
fischju2000 said:
Even if Apple were to buy ARM, I'd be willing to bet that contracts exist far enough out that the larger companies that rely on ARM would have time to find or create a suitable alternative.

Betcha it'd still be cheaper for everyone who already uses ARM to gather together and sue Apple into oblivion. I'm pretty sure deployment of a competing architecture would require, not only the creation of a new microproce$$or, but also that all processor-dependent development be done over.

hosant said:
n't that againts monopoly laws?
Shouldn't be. ARM is just a specification for a CPU. There's nothing preventing any other company from developing their own competing architecture.

WizardStan said:
hosant said:
n't that againts monopoly laws?
Shouldn't be. ARM is just a specification for a CPU. There's nothing preventing any other company from developing their own competing architecture.
I donna I think he has a point, it would be like Dell buying intel, true arm only sells the spec but apples competition uses it as a standard. In theory apple could buy them then not license out the spec anymore or charge an unreasonable amount for it. That would force their competition to look to other vendors and possibly discontinue support for previously released devices. I don't think the FTC would let them do it.

------

And wow on a handheld would be fine, used to play on an xbox controller and it worked fine, and as long as it was graphically as powerful as the first gen net books wow would run good enough. There plenty of windows only closed source games that would open up as well, I had to argue this battle once before when asked why I wanted an x86 pandora. Battery life is what it came down to but Craig did say it may be an option in future versions. It all depended on a lot of stuff apparently, that or to just shut me up about it ;)

I don't see a point in Apple owning ARM, they would have to finance the continuous development themselves. Because ARM have a lot of customers they get the funds to keep developing and as a stand alone company they have to fight to stay market leader. If another company makes a better chip then Apple can just switch. I think it's just a rumor to drive up share prices.

mali said:
:blink:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23826703-city-aflame-with-takeover-talk-of-arm-and-xstrata.do

What do YOU think?

Moorestown, here I come?!

(Seen on German board: http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9450)

"""A deal would make a lot of sense for Apple,” said one trader. “That way, they could stop ARM's technology from ending up in everyone else's computers and gadgets."""
If this "one trader" is not important enough to name, he/she is not important enough to worry me with their opinion :)

Back