Rumor: Sega branded XBox for Japan

TeDaDeS

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Rumor: Sega branded XBox Series-X for Japan market. (Update below!)

There are some rumors that Microsoft will be selling the new Series-X as a Sega console for the Japanese market.
While it's a bit of a wild rumor the idea of Sega and Microsoft working together isn't that strange.
During the Dreamcast development Microsoft was a bit involved and during the original XBox development Sega was involved.

sega-microsoft.jpg

Update
Looks like the big news is 'fog gaming'?
Local arcades streaming the game to your home. (probably Japan only)

Also Sega announced the Game Gear Micro (Japan only), a tiny version of the Game Gear with 4 games on it. There are 4 different colors which have different games on them:
Black: Sonic the Hedgehog, Puyo Puyo 2, Out Run, Royal Stone
Blue: Sonic Chaos, Gunstar Heroes, Sylvan Tale, Baku Baku Animal
Yellow: Shining Force Gaiden: Ensei – Jashin no Kuni he, Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya, Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict, Nazopuyo Aruru no Ru
Red: Revelations: The Demon Slayer, Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special, The GG Shinobi, Columns
More info see later post in this thread.

Last edited:
Well, at least we'll know this week when Famitsu drops.

For some reason, I'm imagining Sega coming to Evercade.

Last edited:
Sega patented some touchscreen controls recently. Could be for a new device, or could just be for ports of their games to iOS and Android.

Well, each past "Xbox" along with MS plan for world domination have gone belly up each time in Japan, so joining with SEGA seems a good idea to me. Anything that could bring Japanese gamers and developers in to the fold seems a good idea for everyone. I don't know how well something like this would work, as the "Xbox" brand and designs, are just about the worst looking systems of all time, and if SEGA does get in bed with MS, PLEASE make a system that looks cool and falls in line with past systems from that country. Something more like the Super Famicom or PC Engine, instead of the US SNES or TG16, which is how most I'm sure will look at this new offering.While I actually like the new design of the series X, I could see it being DOA in Japan by looks alone, as this may be the most functional(why I like the look), many see it as not to appealing to the eye.

Chris

Sega patented some touchscreen controls recently. Could be for a new device, or could just be for ports of their games to iOS and Android.
Maybe it's the new iSwitchBox Sega-X Station Vcs?
Wow, people really make patents readable. I wondered what is was about, but it's all clear to me now... (not).

I could see it being DOA in Japan by looks alone, as this may be the most functional(why I like the look), many see it as not to appealing to the eye.
Maybe just release it in pink, blue and orange colored casing with a Sonic theme:
amy.jpgsonic.PNGtails.png

A portable SEGA/ & MS Series X Handheld to compete against Switch, Mmmmmmmmmmm? Now that's something I would actually buy, as currently I'm still playing my 3DS, Vita, PS3 & 360, so not much need for me to be looking forward, but I'm a handheld whore, so this would work for me. LOL

Chris

A portable SEGA/ & MS Series X Handheld to compete against Switch, Mmmmmmmmmmm? Now that's something I would actually buy, as currently I'm still playing my 3DS, Vita, PS3 & 360, so not much need for me to be looking forward, but I'm a handheld whore, so this would work for me. LOL

I always found it weird Microsoft never tried the portable xbox. They had the Zune (although I think that was a rebrand) and Nokia-phones, they had WinCE on those pocket devices.
I could see them do the streaming service to a gaming-phone/tablet or even a hybrid (Nintendo Switch with XBox titles and streaming), but a new mobile device would be risky for Microsoft or Sega.
But if they release a handheld I will probably buy it.

I always found it weird Microsoft never tried the portable xbox. They had the Zune (although I think that was a rebrand) and Nokia-phones, they had WinCE on those pocket devices.
I could see them do the streaming service to a gaming-phone/tablet or even a hybrid (Nintendo Switch with XBox titles and streaming), but a new mobile device would be risky for Microsoft or Sega.
But if they release a handheld I will probably buy it.

I guess the SEGA item was a Game Gear Micro WTF!? Not MS related, but the big announcement Famitsu was teasing I suppose, but once again, WTF?! LOL

Yeah, if memory serves, it was rumored for many years and pretty strongly, that MS had plans, but they never got off the ground I suppose. It was around the PSP DS era, maybe before the Vita & 3DS had reached the market, or maybe during, I'd have to try and look up the past rumors for dates and times, etc. I always thought MS had the best shot, as they could have delivered some pretty strong hardware, at a decent price, and having something that worked with Windows would have been crazy cool. Just how some devices are at the right place, at the right time in history(2600, NES, PS1 & 2, Wii, PS4, NS, ETC.), you also have those systems that never happened(or did and failed), as it was probably for the best, at least for certain companies. But yet again, MS could have developed something like that, had it fail and still not have had much loss in revenue, so who knows if ti was ever real or not, but we can dare to dream I suppose.

Chris

Update (Wed 3rd Jun, 2020 09:30 BST): It's believed the big Famitsu scoop is a new arcade service/platform from Sega known as 'Fog Gaming'. It will supposedly allow game centers to make money outside of regular business hours At this point, it sounds like it'll be a Japan-only thing. Sorry folks!

A Game Gear that lasts more than 2 hours on battery ? No way !! xD

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Back