Sa-1 Emulation

Hi, I was wondering if SA-1 emulation would be possible on an emu like Pocket SNES. I think it would be great to have Kirby on the 2x. However, I don't know the specs, so if not possible, I can clearly understand.

Thanks!

SA-1 is used by games like Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar and Paradius 3, right? Just wanted to make sure you are talking about that chip that I think you are referring to.

I thought SA1 was already implemented.

*goes to check*

Yup, it's in PS & SS. Whether it works or not is another question however :)

Kirby Superstar worked in SquidgeSNES last time I tried it, not fullspeed, but playable if I remember correctly.

Squidge posted on Feb 21 2007 at 07:48 AM said:
I thought SA1 was already implemented.

*goes to check*

Yup, it's in PS & SS. Whether it works or not is another question however :)

Yes the code is there but there is no call to S9xSA1MainLoop() which is the cpu emulation, so I'm assuming its disabled. If you look at the asm cpu core there are lots of TODOs near any reference of SA1, so that would explain why its currently disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to quickly hijack this thread for a second, are you guys planning to merge the 2 emulators together to form 1 uber snes emu? Its a pain in the arse flicking between the pair to play a few select games.

Anyways back to original topic...

Yorper posted on Feb 21 2007 at 01:48 PM said:
Just to quickly hijack this thread for a second, are you guys planning to merge the 2 emulators together to form 1 uber snes emu? Its a pain in the arse flicking between the pair to play a few select games.

Well a lot of SS code is already implemented in PS. The only major difference is the renderer used, right?

But as far as im aware it wasnt a joint effort, it was abit of code borrowing. What i was meaning is if they were going to truely join forces as im sure the output would be even better.

Either way you still need to switch between both emus to run certain games "properly" as each emulator has better support for certain games than the other.

Yorper posted on Feb 21 2007 at 06:48 PM said:

Well, the latest version of SquidgeSNES already fully supports transparencies and different levels of optimizations configurable by the user - basically, you can "tag" each game to use either the performance (last SS release) or quality/accuracy (very similar to how PS renders) setting. You can even switch between the different rendering modes mid-game in case there's only a small section where you need full transparency (for example). It's not yet publically released however.

Squidge posted on Feb 21 2007 at 08:16 PM said:
Well, the latest version of SquidgeSNES already fully supports transparencies and different levels of optimizations configurable by the user - basically, you can "tag" each game to use either the performance (last SS release) or quality/accuracy (very similar to how PS renders) setting. You can even switch between the different rendering modes mid-game in case there's only a small section where you need full transparency (for example). It's not yet publically released however.

Thats excellant news, great work. Theyre both very good emulations and complement eachother well, just be much better if it was all in 1, which now it may appear to be so :D

Squidge posted on Feb 21 2007 at 08:16 PM said:
Yorper posted on Feb 21 2007 at 06:48 PM said:

-drool- :ph34r:

There's a POC of the above mentioned features in the original news thread, and you can download at the same address. There are a few bugs however - save states are broken, and reset usually crashes the emu.

I'll fix them later.

Back