Scilab And Maxima On Pandora?

kaubin25

Still Fresh
I'm a big math/physics geek and one thing that jumped into my head, and ultimately tipped the scales in favor of buying a Pandora, was the possibility of using it as a great calculator by running SciLab and Maxima on it.

I used the TI-92 in grad school and loved it (still have it). TI hasn't really advanced much on that calculator and I always wanted more performance/specs/etc. out of the TI-92 (the Voyage isn't different enough for me to want one).

I know the Pandora is designed as a gaming platform and that's the primary reason I purchased one, but it would be a great bonus... I'm about 3000 on the list, BTW so I can't check it out yet. Will do when it arrives.

I remember there being a thread on math software a year ago or something. There were some pretty good looking and portable applications thrown around IIRC.

Never used those but it does seem quite nice. Could definitely be useful on the Pandora.
I guess R (http://www.r-project.org/) would be nice too. It's CLI only so it should be an easy port.

If we drop the algebra stuff (so we talk about physics now) you could use scipy as well. It's very useful, provides a lot of functionality ... and i think its easier to write code the python way instead of the matlab one. -> "ipython -pylab"

CodeTwister said:
i think its easier to write code the python way instead of the matlab one. -> "ipython -pylab"

I'd agree with you, but all the people who already use matlab might disagree.

Then again, they'd be wrong, so who cares? Python 4 Lyfe, bro. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the old thread that B-ZaR mentioned (DON'T BUMP, it's old). Lots of options thrown around. Fake edit: cosurgi beat me to it.

If you're a diehard Matlab user, Octave is already in the Angstrom repos, so no porting necessary (Octave aims to be completely compatible with Matlab code).

Also, I agree with CodeTwister: SciPy is wonderful and I use it all the time. If you do need algebra features, you can get them from SymPy, which is also wonderful and I use all the time. But neither are in the Angstrom repo and I don't know how portable they are; I think SymPy is pure Python (so, trivial to port), but I could be wrong.

Back