Screen Format/res

Huxley

Gamera, King of Monsters
Website
www.animeboredom.co.uk
Just a quick question...does anyone else have a problem with this forum being slightly too big for the window? It's not unreadable, but it is a little distracting. I'm running 1280 screen res and no matter how I resize the window I can't get rid of it.

You know, not the most drastic of problems...just though I'd share :p

Azure posted on Apr 11 2004 at 12:30 AM said:
I had the same problem but it was fixed when I switched to Mozilla.
Yeah, Mozilla, Opera and all the later Netscape browsers are great (but not NS4-...YUCK!) but I have compatability problems in other forums I browse, so I stick with IE.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind if this went unfixed, it's really quite bareable, I just thought I'd let someone know ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Huxley posted on Apr 11 2004 at 12:42 AM said:
Azure posted on Apr 11 2004 at 12:30 AM said:
I had the same problem but it was fixed when I switched to Mozilla.
Yeah, Mozilla, Opera and all the later Netscape browsers are great (but not NS4-...YUCK!) but I have compatability problems in other forums I browse, so I stick with IE.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind if this went unfixed, it's really quite bareable, I just thought I'd let someone know ;)
Mozilla and Netscape have WAY to many unused features (we call this BLOAT and CLUTTER). Firefox is much smaller, faster, cleaner , and better, and uses the same core as Mozilla and Nestscape. Mozilla is actually being discontinued once Firefox reaches version 1.0

I only get the horizontal width problem with IE. Firefox, Mozilla, Konqueror, and Opera have no problem.

Seems pretty conclusive that GP32x is fine, it's just yet another IE wierdness... complain to Microsoft, I'm sure they'll be interested in fixing it :D

Robster posted on Apr 11 2004 at 04:22 AM said:
I'm sure they'll be interested in fixing it :D
Microsoft doesn't even bother reading users bug reports, they only use bigs companies bug reports :angry:

I think I know why it's happening, if anyone is interested. IE draws the page first without scroll bars, then adds them on when it finds it's too big for a single screen. You'll notice that the scrollable area on the horizontal bar is exactly the same size as the space the vertical bar takes up.

This might be solved by forcing a vertical scrollbar in your template file.

Oh, and as much as you might hate IE, it's without doubt the most important browser to develop for. If you site looks rubbish in IE, it will look rubbish on the majority of computers around the world.

Huxley posted on Apr 11 2004 at 12:09 PM said:
Oh, and as much as you might hate IE, it's without doubt the most important browser to develop for. If you site looks rubbish in IE, it will look rubbish on the majority of computers around the world.
Thats outright untruth, a myth propogated mostly by M$ fanboys. And bogus unproveable, invalid, statistics.

The % of IE users compared to other users is rapidly decreasing and wasnt that great to begin with. Netscape and others were arround LONG before IE came out. The only reason IE is used so much is that microsoft forces it by default in their OS, integrated directly into the OS so you cant just remove it, but millions of people have Linux, MacOS, Amiga, BeOS, OS 2, etc..etc...etc... all of which come with better alternatives. The use of IE stemmed from the days when, besides netscape which you had to download, there was no real alternative for windows, and even the little alternatives that were available were limited (wouldnt run vbscript, etc...) so you were kinda forced to use IE to view most pages. However, technology has advanced far enought that 99.9% of all webpages can be viewed with nearly all the webbrowsers that exist, (with slight bugs here and there, that even IE has some), so no longer is IE a required browser.

You cannot really go by statistics of webcounters either, because my Firefox browser reports itself as IE6 (a feature many browsers have to bypass the stupid browser checks some sites have that dont let you enter unless you use IE, although the site works perfect in nearly all browsers) This is where A LOT of your IE useage statistics come from, people who are actually not using IE at all but having their browser pretend to be.

So going by number statistics isnt accurate at all. Looking at the greatly increasing trend of Linux, MacOS, and other alternative OS's users (IE is losing its stand as the "most popular" browser)

Anyway I think anyone who writes websites / forums / etc... should read the following
http://www.anybrowser.org/

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 11 2004 at 12:43 PM said:
Thats outright untruth, a myth propogated mostly by M$ fanboys. And bogus unproveable, invalid, statistics.
Man, I'd love to agree with you, but you couldn't be more wrong. You really think the average PC user uninstalls IE and replaces it with Firefox? You're only kidding yourself!

Go read up on http://www.sitepoint.com and listen to what people have to say.

I'm well aware that browsers can cloak their identity. And I'm all for developing wbepages to work on multiple browsers. However, that INCLUDES IE, and I think any developer would be a fool to ignore this browser. I'm not an MS fanboy, I'm just being realistic.

The only way to get people to write clean html code without unnecessary stuff like flash navigation, java navigation, frontpage specific applets is not to visit their pages. And what would make that easier than using a browser which is not capable of displaying such pages? ;)
Another thing is, people really should get some security conscience. I'm not flaming against windows here... There are lots of things you can do to secure windows pretty well, and the MOST important things are: DON'T use activex, DON'T use IE and for christ's sake (oh. happy easter) DON'T use outlook express!

You really think the average PC user uninstalls IE

Well of course not, because its not actullly possible to uninstall IE. Its integrated into windows too much to be removed. Your Windows PC would not function at all with IE removed.

But many hundreds of thousands use browsers OTHER than IE. And we are just talking windows users. (yes I know macos has an IE version but thats probably the most unused browser of all time) If you add the windows users who download alternative browsers, add that to the rest of the OS's that either dont have an IE version, or have much better alternatives, they ratio of people that actually use IE is much smaller that you have been lead to think. Out of every browser, it is still the most used by itself, but it stands at about 40% of internet users use IE. Which is a small amount. The rest use many of the other available browsers. So taken each into account by themselves, IE is the most used of any individual browser, but taken all together, IE only encompasses "about" 40% of the entire internet population and its decreasing. (and that doesnt count the Firebird/etc.. users that make their browser think its IE.)

I have tried many other browsers and they are just NOT convenient enough to use. I don't like to waste time figuring out how to use third party browsers when I can just use IE quickly. :angry:

RockOut posted on Apr 11 2004 at 04:02 PM said:
I have tried many other browsers and they are just NOT convenient enough to use. I don't like to waste time figuring out how to use third party browsers when I can just use IE quickly. :angry:
Ok, your comment, makes, absolutly no sense whatsoever.

What is the difference between using any of these browsers? Do they dispay webpages differently? No, they dont. Do you have to hold special key combinations to use them? No, you dont. Do any of them hide the common toolbar functions (back, forward, refresh, stop, home, etc...) ? No, they are all there, in the same spot, in every browser. Do you have to memorize a 500 word essay to use links on webpages on a 3rd party browser?

Then, what, pray tell, makes them so different that you actually have to "waste time figuring out " ? Anybody who can use one browser, can easily get on any other browser and use it straight away, no learning required. Its as simple as typing in the address in the address bar and navigating the website you choose. Same thing on every browser.

The only thing that makes these browsers different, is the speed, security, and available features. Now speed and security are all handled for you with great default settings (usually with easy to use dialogs that are all pretty much the same, if you want to change something) The only thing that leaves is available features, which most people dont even, ever, look into. I think I opened the Firefox settings dialog 3 times in the years I have been using the pheonix browsers. 1 to set my home page, 1 to change my skin, 1 to manually remove a page from the popup list. And those are so simple to do that my 5 year old son could probably manage it.

And even if you were one that loved to tweek and customize settings, its all straight forward and self explaintory, easy to use, and once you set your settings, you never have to again, so again we are back to them being the exact same interface wise.

Back