Screen problems

Hi ED, this has happened to me too but I got mine's from Craig's shop. I contacted them but they didn't know how long it would take before they could fix it (they told me to get back in touch in ten days, and that was last week).

Is there any way I could send mine's to you if you're in a position to fix them now? I'm in Scotland, and more than happy to wait, but the last thing I did was install Baldur's Gate and I now have to play it on the PC ;-)

Sure, I can also fix it for you.

I seems that purple haze affected my unit too. I've got an one-nubber and I'm not sure if those pandoras have any warranty. If not is there any chance to have the LCD ribbon repaired commercially (for an equivalent of some dev funds or something like that)?

I seems that purple haze affected my unit too. I've got an one-nubber and I'm not sure if those pandoras have any warranty. If not is there any chance to have the LCD ribbon repaired commercially (for an equivalent of some dev funds or something like that)?

One nubbers just have no warranty on the nub.

You can either contact your distributor - or I could fix it for you (for free) as well.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm my purple haze is getting worse hope the 'new' pandora's will arrive soon. Since i think craigs store want to wait for them before sending out another one.

I've taken to leaving my Pandora open and on 24/7. It hasn't gotten any worse in over 2 weeks. Once the haze goes away, if I leave it open and on 24/7 it doesn't come back until I bump the hinge, and even then it's only for a split second.

It's really freaky how temperature, humidity, and run time seem to affect this. The dryer the air gets the less problems I have, the warmer the unit gets the less trouble I have, and the longer I leave it running without shutting it down the less problems I have. It's almost like the cable has to "warm up" after it gets cold. The heat from the charging circuit or my hands seem to make the LCD anomalies go away faster than just turning it on and laying it on a desk.

I've taken to leaving my Pandora open and on 24/7. It hasn't gotten any worse in over 2 weeks. Once the haze goes away, if I leave it open and on 24/7 it doesn't come back until I bump the hinge, and even then it's only for a split second.

It's really freaky how temperature, humidity, and run time seem to affect this. The dryer the air gets the less problems I have, the warmer the unit gets the less trouble I have, and the longer I leave it running without shutting it down the less problems I have. It's almost like the cable has to "warm up" after it gets cold. The heat from the charging circuit or my hands seem to make the LCD anomalies go away faster than just turning it on and laying it on a desk.

Well, the cable has thin copper traces where one seems to be fragile on some cables and breaks after a while.

Heat,e.g. changes the copper. It expands. When the broken trace expands, it basically grows together again and the connection is there.

Well, the cable has thin copper traces where one seems to be fragile on some cables and breaks after a while.

Heat,e.g. changes the copper. It expands. When the broken trace expands, it basically grows together again and the connection is there.
Years ago (too many! :eek: ) I was sub contracted to this company that has a lot of problems with a particular game (fixed segment lcd type) basically these cables are hateful things I'd probably still be using my psion if it wasn't for them!

Anyhow one of the engineers had a brain wave and suggested putting (sticking) tape both side of the ribbon it was just enough to protect the cable from bending damage and also wear damage and you know what zero returns from cables.

Why not try it out on a semi naked Pandora and really stupid stress the hinge (ideally build a Heath Robinson contraption to savagely open and close it 1,000's of times) I'll bet it makes a difference....

Last edited:
Why not try it out on a semi naked Pandora and really stupid stress the hinge (ideally build a Heath Robinson contraption to savagely open and close it 1,000's of times) I'll bet it makes a difference....

That would be the perfect visual torture device for Pandora geeks. :(

My second unit has been going this way for a few days now. It from the first 100 still and may not have had a newer cable, or at least the tool used on its placement so it was a possible. Hopefully the new cables and tool will rid this issue for good for the new folk to receive the latest and next MP Pandoras. :)

I'm having probably the same screen issue mentioned here, and I just emailed Jaquelyn to see how to return the unit for repair.

In the meanwhile, and for reference, I'm posting below some pics of how the tint looks like on my unit, and the angle at which the issue starts occurring. Sorry the pics are big, I figured the difference is more obvious in side by side comparison.

It's interesting that the tint doesn't affect all colors in the same way (it's glaringly bad in desktop apps), and in fact, while playing some games, I don't always notice it (though I totally expect it'll get worse and worse :( ).

20110115_pandora_screen_tint_1_med.jpg

20110115_pandora_screen_tint_2_med.jpg

20110115_pandora_screen_tint_lid_position_med.jpg

Back