Screen Size

thomasmes

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I really like the (design of the) Pandora, but I am very greedy: the only thing I would like to see changed is the screen size. The resolution may remain the same. I don't mind paying an extra 50 bucks/euro's for it.

Please have a look.

Original:
http://www.messy.nl/tmp/pandora00.png

Screen size 6-7":
http://www.messy.nl/tmp/pandora01.png
http://www.messy.nl/tmp/pandora01_2.png

Screen size 8-9":
http://www.messy.nl/tmp/pandora02.png
http://www.messy.nl/tmp/pandora02_2.png

How big is the chance that a Pandora with a bigger screen will be produced? Or do I have to wait for Pandora 2?

if you want it, I'm afraid you'll have to do it yourself. The point of the pandora is to be pocketable, otherwise you could just buy a laptop.

i suppose you could always buy a screen with s-vid and mod the pandora to use that

Kyosys said:
if you want it, I'm afraid you'll have to do it yourself. The point of the pandora is to be pocketable, otherwise you could just buy a laptop.

I think he meant a bigger screen in the same chassis, with a smaller bezel around it. Only 6" version would be feasible anyway.

It's quite late for that and it would cost a lot more than 50bucks with all the redesigning (the current screen barely fits as it is).

Last edited by a moderator:
sindbad said:
Kyosys said:

I think he meant a bigger screen in the same chassis, with a smaller bezel around it. Only 6" version would be feasible anyway.

It's quite late for that and it would cost a lot more than 50bucks with all the redesigning (the current screen barely fits as it is).

I doubt that would fit, especially with speakers

Messy said:
Hi all,

I really like the (design of the) Pandora, but I am very greedy: the only thing I would like to see changed is the screen size. The resolution may remain the same. I don't mind paying an extra 50 bucks/euro's for it.

Please have a look.

Screen size 6-7":
http://www.messy.nl/tmp/pandora01.png
http://www.messy.nl/tmp/pandora01_2.png

While the 6-7" render you have there looks pretty freakin nice, I'd say leave your judgments until the device is released. I had an iPAQ hx4700 with a 4" screen at 640x480... The screen was almost too big for the form factor, and holding the device with one hand was difficult at times. The Pandora on the other hand has a 4.3" screen which is more than viewable. The device isn't even out yet, give it a shot and mod it later :lol: .

That mod actually wouldn't be too tough, you'd just have to make sure the screen you get has composite or S-Video in and wire it up accordingly. The difficult part would be to build a new custom case to house all the guts of the monstrosity, but other than that, it would work. To be honest with you, I think it's kinda stupid, it's already got a huge screen for a handheld. f you really want bigger, as others have said, just get a damn laptop that'll do the same thing. An unpocketable UMPC just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. :lol:

CronoTriggerfan said:
That mod actually wouldn't be too tough, you'd just have to make sure the screen you get has composite or S-Video in and wire it up accordingly. The difficult part would be to build a new custom case to house all the guts of the monstrosity, but other than that, it would work. To be honest with you, I think it's kinda stupid, it's already got a huge screen for a handheld. f you really want bigger, as others have said, just get a damn laptop that'll do the same thing. An unpocketable UMPC just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. :lol:
I doubt the screen is using a connection as low quality as composite / S-Video. That LCD is almost certainly using a digital connection of some kind. If not, we'll all end up with a fuzzy mess for a display.

AireTamStorm said:
I doubt the screen is using a connection as low quality as composite / S-Video. That LCD is almost certainly using a digital connection of some kind. If not, we'll all end up with a fuzzy mess for a display.
Oh, there's no doubt the screen itself is digital, most consumer electronics screens of these types are. The TV out, however, is running composite/S-Video. :p But hey, if this guy wants to spend $100+ for a digital to analog signal converter, be my guest! My personal advice would be to go with a PSOne screen, probably off eBay or something. They're fairly cheap, great quality, big, and super-easy to hack up, as theres guides to the pinouts all over the place.

CronoTriggerfan said:
AireTamStorm said:
Oh, there's no doubt the screen itself is digital, most consumer electronics screens of these types are. The TV out, however, is running composite/S-Video. :p But hey, if this guy wants to spend $100+ for a digital to analog signal converter, be my guest! My personal advice would be to go with a PSOne screen, probably off eBay or something. They're fairly cheap, great quality, big, and super-easy to hack up, as theres guides to the pinouts all over the place.

I think by mod he means to actually replace the current LCD for a new one, which would also use a straight digital connection.
Edit: That is how I would mod it, anyway.

AireTamStorm said:
I think by mod he means to actually replace the current LCD for a new one, which would also use a straight digital connection.
Edit: That is how I would mod it, anyway.
I'd almost see that as too much of a hassle. The input to the Pandora's screen is almost surely proprietary, the fiddling would be a bit of a waste, IMO. If he's really that big a videophile, I'm sure that after a few minutes of searching on the board one could find RGB inputs and wire it up to a screen that way.

Surely if the dimensions of Pandora, per openpandora.ca, are "Dimensions: 140x83x27mm" then you couldn't fit a 9inch screen in a 6 1/2inch console (diagonal measure). Ditto 8 & 7 and 6 would be a squeeze and barely leave space for the speakers.

[ sqrt( ((140/25)^2) + ((83/25)^2) ) = 6.5 inches diagonal ]

the thing is, some people would be willing to sacrifice speakers for a bigger screen like that. seriously. with the amount of space available to them, how good quality are the Pandora's speakers going to be anyway?

Agreed the speakers are unlikely to be fantastic, but no speakers at all? Not sure I could cope with that and having to carry earphones everywhere. Like they say, each to their own.

A bigger screen is nice. It would have smaller dpi value. But the energy consumption is the question here. A bigger screen will demand more the question is to what extent..

It looks nice, but I doubt the tradeoff would be worth it. You're probably looking at an extra $100, worse battery life, extra weight, and no speakers.

I'd rather take the current model, thanks :)

Back