Scumm

Scumm = Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion

It's an engine used in all the old LucasArts games (Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones - Quest for the holy grail, The Secret of Monkey Island, The Secret of Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, The Dig, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, The Curse of Monkey Island, ... hope I haven't forgotten one...?)) were created.

Bad thing about that: Most ran under DOS - so not very good using new systems.
Then a team created scummvm (Scumm Virtual Machine), an Win32 interpreter for the old Scumm games.

This interpreter has been ported now to a lot of systems (including the GP32), so that you can run all those old Adventures :)

Beneath A Steel Sky, and there was another one... Broken Sword perhaps?

You buy the games from a shop. But it isn't really worth just buying the games to purely play on GP32, as most have issues that require a PC to work around. Sometimes you'll need to save the game on your GP, load it in on PC, then work past a little bit on PC and take the save game back to the GP.

ScummVM is a virtual machine that allows all the old 2D LucasArts (and other) point and click games to be run on hardware other then just PC's.

There is a port of ScummVM to the GP32 that runs most of the old LucasArts games but it is far from perfect and still under heavy development.

As for games to run on it, your local PC shop should be able to sell you the LucasArts classic packs with 2-3 games in each CD for about £8.99 each (price based on my local Game for the Sam and Max/Day of the Tentacle pack).

For more information on the virtual machine and an overall compatibility list (not all games work on the GP32, check the GP32 readme for more info) head over to ScummVM's Homepage. For info on the GP32 port look at my site in the signature.

You buy the games from a shop. But it isn't really worth just buying the games to purely play on GP32, as most have issues that require a PC to work around. Sometimes you'll need to save the game on your GP, load it in on PC, then work past a little bit on PC and take the save game back to the GP.
BASS doesn't work on GP32

and i dotn think BS is a LucasArts game

Last edited by a moderator:

BASS doesn't work on GP32

and i dotn think BS is a LucasArts game
I think he is mentioning the games that are available for free. Those are BASS and FOTAQ and are available from the Scummvm website. Unfortunately both don't work on the GP32 but you can play them on the PC and they are worth the download.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back