Scummvm 1.5.0 Release For Gph Devices.

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Just a quick news post to announce that 1.5.0 release builds are up for all the GPH devices (GP2X, Wiz and Caanoo) on the main ScummVM download page at http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

The main GPH tweaks in this release are focused on the input code along with some minor clean up. Of course all the juicy improvements and newly supported games (device performance permitting) from the rest of ScummVM are also rolled in.

This release contains a minor issue with the downscaling code that can lead to minor graphics glitches in some of the larger games (Curse of Monkey Island and Broken Sword mainly) and I am working on getting this all fixed for a 1.5.1 release (I missed the 1.5.0 deadline to get an elegant fix done) but it is quite a minor problem.

Really great DJWillis! Awesome work and thanks to work up the support.
I will give the caanoo version a spin later this week.

Congrats man!

So does Cruise for a Corpse work yet (on Wiz version) after 4 new revisions ?? or is this something that you cant be bothered to fix ? (Just asking before I download).

liveevil said:
So does Cruise for a Corpse work yet (on Wiz version) after 4 new revisions ?? or is this something that you cant be bothered to fix ? (Just asking before I download).

I can't be bothered to check so I guess you will never know ;). Actually, in fairness I don't have the game to hand so no idea as it is not one of the main games I test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great release. Thanks John. Glad you fixed the input problems of the Wiz version. Another thing I noticed is that the FM Towns versions of Last Crusade and Zak McKracken are now working fine. No luck with Cruise for a Corpse. :(
Only problem for me: Myst doesn't start anymore ( I know: It's not supported but it worked really fine in the last version...)

sbock said:
Great release. Thanks John. Glad you fixed the input problems of the Wiz version. Another thing I noticed is that the FM Towns versions of Last Crusade and Zak McKracken are now working fine. No luck with Cruise for a Corpse. :(

Cheers, can you tell me a little more about this Cruise for a Corpse bug? If anyone can give some more info and get it into a bug report - https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=37116&atid=418820 - that would be great so I don't loose track.

As most people know I don't tend to track forum posts so don't expect forum reported bugs to get fixed up.

sbock said:
Only problem for me: Myst doesn't start anymore ( I know: It's not supported but it worked really fine in the last version...)

Yep, this is an official release that is built from the branch code with only released engines enabled. In this case that means no Myst as it is not ready for prime time.

No 1.5.* release (on any platform) will support Myst. I tend to enable most in-progress engines on GIT builds from the master code.

Regarding Cruise for a Corpse, 'emjay' asked you this on the SCUMM v1.2.0 Wiz thread in September 2010.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56793-scummvm-120-preview-1-for-gph-devices/page__hl__cruise%20for%20a%20corpse

To recap, his results :-

The 'scummvm.stderr.txt' file has nothing in it (0 Bytes), and the 'scummvm.stdout.txt' file says :-

Debug: STDOUT and STDERR redirected to text files.
Passing to OSystem::SDL initBackend.
FB_OpenMouse()
Using tslib touchscreen
Using joystick: PEP Joy
GFX_NORMAL
Keyboard pack 'vkeybd_default' loaded successfully!
Debug: STDOUT and STDERR text files closed.

So I imagine that's no help whatsoever. When running the game it shows a black screen for about a second then exits to the Wiz menu.

liveevil said:
Regarding Cruise for a Corpse, 'emjay' asked you this on the SCUMM v1.2.0 Wiz thread in September 2010.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56793-scummvm-120-preview-1-for-gph-devices/page__hl__cruise%20for%20a%20corpse

Thanks,

Sorry for not recalling it, it is a thread from 2 years ago for a game I don't own so did not stick in my memory ;).

Anyway, I'll have to track down a copy and try and find out why it still crashes as there is nothing special about the backend code that should cause any issues with that game.

I know that only the DOS PC version is supported and the engine has not had a lot of work done on it in ages (looking at the commits) but as it is a one game engine (CruisE) it is very hard to test anything without the game.

As it stands, lets just count is as unsupported on the GPH devices unless I manage to track down a copy.

Thanks,

John

Really appreciate the continued Wiz support, thanks!

What were the input issues that were fixed?

HunterZ said:

In some cases using the dpad (not touchscreen) would cause the pointer to drift over the screen and make input rather troublesome ;).
That is all sorted now.

You could just test Cruise for a Corpse with an Abandonware version until a physical copy turns up ?

*REDACTED*

You'd only be using it for testing purposes and it's abandonware which is freely available without breaking any laws.
The mojority of SCUMM users have probably never even owned a SCUMM compatible game in their life anyway and just download the big torrent packs.

liveevil said:
You could just test Cruise for a Corpse with an Abandonware version until a physical copy turns up ?

You'd only be using it for testing purposes and it's abandonware which is freely available without breaking any laws.
The mojority of SCUMM users have probably never even owned a SCUMM compatible game in their life anyway and just download the big torrent packs.

Sorry, no, as a developer and someone who knows a lot of the people who worked on these games I don't really want to pirate it and I like to own physical or digital copies (so GoG/Steam etc.) of adventure games.

I don't actually care what users do with the resulting builds. I am not going to pirate a game just so I can fix it for more pirates to play it ;). If I am going to sink time into it I want a nice CD copy and a chance to play through the game. I do this for my sake and mostly support the old GPH devices because I like to hack on them.

Your more than welcome to grab the source and submit a patch to fix whatever breakage that may be occurring or just live with it and enjoy the game on a PC ;).

Sorry, I had to remove that link. Abandonware is not legal. They may not be supported by the publisher anymore and there's no actual loss by downloading, but the software and assets are still covered under copyright which, now thanks to Disney, extends for about a bajillion years.

DJWillis said:
HunterZ said:

In some cases using the dpad (not touchscreen) would cause the pointer to drift over the screen and make input rather troublesome ;) .
That is all sorted now.
Is that because it was treating it as a pseudo-analog joystick and calibrating on the fly? I recognized that behavior and realized that I needed to move the pad in a circle to establish its bounds.

Hi DJWillis, You stated there could be some small glitches on curse of moneky island.
There was a few on the last version, on this one, so far, everything is nice.

Really great, I will check longer just to make sure.
Thanks!

Can't find my serial connection for the Wiz but AFAIK I got a

Code:
Unsupported opcode type 0

back when I last tested Cruise for a Corps.
It works great on the Caanoo btw.

Another game with problems on the Wiz is Spyzone 3. It crashes when starting the game.

I will add a bug report for both games on Soundforge after I find my serial cable...

Just tested the Cannoo version and found out that Spyzone 3 now runs flawlessly here. (Graphic corruption on version 1.4.1)

Btw: Why is FreeType2 only compiled in the Wiz version and not Caanoo? It looks good on the Wiz IMHO...

Back