Scummvm For The Gp2x: 0.9.1 Preview 1 Released

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Just a quick preview release from the latest SVN code to gather bug info and feedback.

If you want to have a peek of what (bugs permitting) may end up in the GP2X release of 0.9.1 then by all means have a look but please leave some feedback, suggestions and if needed bug reports.

More information, a high level change list and a download can be found on the ScummVM for the GP2X site.

yuujin posted on Oct 10 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
i can't make out if BASS is woking or not in this release...? (I haven't tried it yet)

Just worth noting that in the README-GP2X.html with the download :).
Yes, that is the README I ask people to look at before running the app ;).

Included engines

Just because an engine is included does not mean any/all of its games are supported. Please check game compatability for more infomation.

* Scumm - (All games supported by ScummVM should work to some extent, using the hardware scalar if needed)
* Simon - (Simon the Sorcerer one and two).
* Sky - (Beneath a Steel Sky)
* Sword - (Broken Sword 1) - This engine uses the hardware scalar to downsize the graphics to fix on the GP2X. It is NOT very nice to look at.
* Sword2 - (Broken Sword 2) - This engine uses the hardware scalar to downsize the graphics to fix on the GP2X. It is NOT very nice to look at.
* Gob - (Goblins one)
* Queen - (Flight of the Amazon Queen)
* Kyra - (The Legend of Kyrandia)

All other game engines are disabled in this release.

As for it working?

You tell me, that is the whole point of these preview releases.

I need to get an idea of compatability, some feedback, fix bugs and all that to try and make a quality release for 0.9.1.

I see no reason the basic game will not run fine (infact I was playing it last night) but I am damm sure there will be niggles that need to be cleaned up in there somewhere.
I don't have time to spend playing all the games end to end so I need people to test and give feedback so I can get an idea and focus on problem areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loaded up Atlantis, DOTT ( & MANIAC), SAMNMAX with no problems that I saw.

Only issue I had was once I quit the menu wasnt reloaded (or SCUMMVM hung). Do i need to create my own script to reload the menu?

Pickle posted on Oct 11 2006 at 02:13 PM said:

Only issue I had was once I quit the menu wasnt reloaded (or SCUMMVM hung). Do i need to create my own script to reload the menu?

Thanks for the feedback,

Glad to know the games are good :).

As for the exit hang, found this bug myself and it will be fixed all being well in the next preview.

In simple terms it should rerun the menu but at the moment it drops to a shell then crashes after flushing all the saves to the SD card ;).

DJWillis posted on Oct 11 2006 at 09:33 AM said:
Pickle posted on Oct 11 2006 at 02:13 PM said:

Thanks for the feedback,

Glad to know the games are good :).

As for the exit hang, found this bug myself and it will be fixed all being well in the next preview.

In simple terms it should rerun the menu but at the moment it drops to a shell then crashes after flushing all the saves to the SD card ;).

Just that your aware, i only went a few minutes into them. Except Atlantis I spent more time with it.
This program is pretty slick by the way, this is the first time I have tried it.

Hi there!

First of all - great port! :)

I'm not completely sure if this is within the scope of your request for feedback, but I noticed one issue (not only in your preview version but also in the previous stable one, though): In Indiana Jones 3, there seems to be no possibility to do the fist fights - according to the scummvm-wiki, you should be able to fight by clicking on regions of the screen as you would on keys of a numpad, but this doesn't work, so I assume it's a gp2x-specific problem.

When I try to start this preview version I get stuck on a black screen immediately :(

I am using the latest firmware.

Does someone else have this problem? What could cause it?

Thanks!

gene_kultpower posted on Oct 12 2006 at 04:02 PM said:
When I try to start this preview version I get stuck on a black screen immediately :(

I am using the latest firmware.

Your the 1st person to report that sort of problem with any recent build.

Few things to check 1st to get an idea of what maybe the problem.

Is your SD locked? ScummVM required read/write access to the SD card.
Is the SD full, leave a few M/B free on the card and try again.
Are and of the ScummVM files read only?
Did you extract ScummVM to a clean folder without any old .scummvmrc config files?
Are the modern.zip and modern.ini in the ScummVM folder?
Do you have a ./saves folder? (and if you delete the folder does ScummVM recreate it when run?)

John

Right, about to embark on a significant bus journey tomorrw, so I'll probably actually do some testing of this therein. Any particular preferences? Any particular feature need testing (.ogg/.mp3 support, for e.g. with any particular engines?)

Superb suff, DJWillis. I tested Monkey Island 1, Sam & Max, Maniac Mansion and DOTT for 5-10 mins each, and all worked flawlessly. Very impressive. Thanks so much.

Apart from the quit bug, my only suggestion would be an alternative to the mouse cursor handling. Would it be possible to institute an optional control scheme which always moves fast unless you hold the L button, which then makes it move slow & precise?

gaterooze posted on Oct 13 2006 at 03:55 AM said:
Superb suff, DJWillis. I tested Monkey Island 1, Sam & Max, Maniac Mansion and DOTT for 5-10 mins each, and all worked flawlessly. Very impressive. Thanks so much.

Apart from the quit bug, my only suggestion would be an alternative to the mouse cursor handling. Would it be possible to institute an optional control scheme which always moves fast unless you hold the L button, which then makes it move slow & precise?

Thanks,

As for controls, in the 0.9.1 timeframe the port is feature frozen so just bug fixes but there is no reason assuming I can get the code to work that I can't look at that for future releases.

It is just somewhat of a puzzle to workout how to do it 'right' as everybody has a different view on how the mouse emulation should be handled ;).

DJWillis posted on Oct 12 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
Are the modern.zip and modern.ini in the ScummVM folder?
THAT was it. On MacOSX StuffitExpander extracts even included zip-files, so modern.zip was not there because it was extracted...

Now the games are working!
Thanks!

Ok ive found an actual bug, in SamnMax once I go into the restaurant on top the ball of twine max will point something out and then it shows the strand coming out of the ball. After that the screen goes black, most likely crashing to the shell. I do have a autosave and it is repeatable.

Pickle posted on Oct 13 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
Ok ive found an actual bug, in SamnMax once I go into the restaurant on top the ball of twine max will point something out and then it shows the strand coming out of the ball. After that the screen goes black, most likely crashing to the shell. I do have a autosave and it is repeatable.

Can you mail me the auto-save or post it as a bug report using the ScummVM bugtracker please and I will get on it.

DJWillis posted on Oct 13 2006 at 12:45 PM said:
Pickle posted on Oct 13 2006 at 01:41 PM said:

Can you mail me the auto-save or post it as a bug report using the ScummVM bugtracker please and I will get on it.

sent you a PM about where to send the saves, maybe it got lost in the bit bucket. Anyway let me know where to email the files.

FYI, i found another crash in IJ Atlantis, its at the point where you steal the moron from Jabbar, when i move to the edge of the screen with the moron it goes black. I will include all saves in the email once i know where to send.

Only actually had a chance to test for a few minutes over the weekend (banter on coach was too interesting), but looks like FotAQ now works flawlessly, at least compared to the previous preview version which had sprites changing colour every few seconds (very weird). I've only tried the talkie version, but the speech is clear, and, seeing as it's 50mb, presumably already compressed...

I have now tested two different versions of Day of the Tentacle and both do not start (stuck with black screen). Other games like Monkey Island 1 + 2 or Legend of Kyrandia are working.

Does someone else have this problem?

gene_kultpower posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:18 AM said:
I have now tested two different versions of Day of the Tentacle and both do not start (stuck with black screen). Other games like Monkey Island 1 + 2 or Legend of Kyrandia are working.

Does someone else have this problem?

The CD version of DOTT is working, with the following three files:

MONSTER.SOG 92mb
TENTACLE.000 7k
TENTACLE.001 11mb

If that helps at all...

Back