Scummvm Skywalker Port Released

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 20 2006 at 08:10 PM said:
Question: How come the sound-lip syncing is still off in DotT? Am I doing something wrong??
bump. Is the syncing off in this version as well?....

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 21 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
Question: How come the sound-lip syncing is still off in DotT? Am I doing something wrong??
Lemme check, as the syncing was never off in the older version.

EDIT: Yup, syncing is fine here too. Im using DotT Floppy version.

PSyMastR posted on Jul 21 2006 at 10:42 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 21 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
Lemme check, as the syncing was never off in the older version.

EDIT: Yup, syncing is fine here too. Im using DotT Floppy version.
hmm. I'll have to check it out with the other DotT I'm downloading :ph34r:

Has anyone managed to get The Dig working? After adding it to the games list and selecting it to play, I get booted back to the GP2X menu :( Checked to see if the files were in mixed case and they weren't, so I'm clueless as to what might be causing this.

EDIT: Woops, nevermind that, got it working. Turns out the files were in mixed case after all, it was only the GP2X file browser that didn't see them as such. Renamed via Windows and now it works yay! :D

Paulo Becker posted on Jul 22 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
Has anyone managed to get The Dig working? After adding it to the games list and selecting it to play, I get booted back to the GP2X menu :( Checked to see if the files were in mixed case and they weren't, so I'm clueless as to what might be causing this.

Have you looked at the debug output?

Just run the app via serial, telnet or the like (or just put it in a script that echo's the output to a text file and check that). I suspect your data files may be bad but the output will tell you for sure.

John

DJWillis posted on Jul 22 2006 at 12:56 PM said:
Have you looked at the debug output?

Just run the app via serial, telnet or the like (or just put it in a script that echo's the output to a text file and check that). I suspect your data files may be bad but the output will tell you for sure.

John
Thanks, but I got it working by renaming everything to high caps :) On the other hand, I found out that The Dig also doesn't save properly. I saved a game right after the crew comes out of the shuttle and for the first time you can perform actions. A little message popped up telling me that it had succesfully saved the game, but after I turned the GP2X off and on again, and tried to load the save game, it didn't even appear on the list. Only an Autosave entry was displayed, which took me back to the moment before the crew comes out of the shuttle.

So that's two games not saving properly for me (out of the three I tried), Full Throttle and The Dig.

Goity posted on Jul 23 2006 at 10:03 PM said:
Is MI3 possible one day?

Not really, the game is too big (memory wise), it's engine is very inefficent and it looks horrid scaled down (unlike BS1 and 2 that dont look to bad, esp. if I can get the post processign going one of these days).

MI3 runs but it's not nice, sort of like it does the PSP version of ScummVM.

Runs = Yes.
Something you would play = Nope.

Grim Fandango doesn't use the Scumm engine, it has it's own called GimE. Work has been done on a program called Residual that does the same thing for Lucasarts' 3d adventure games that Scumm does for the 2d games. I've been looking around for information about it, so check out the links at the bottom. Not many people are working on it, if any, so it's not even finished. I'm not even sure if the gp2x could handle it if it was finished and somebody ported it. It sure would be nice though. :)

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Residual
http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects.php

hmm i guess if MI3 doesn't run all that well, the feeble files won't look nice either. It's also hi-res graphics and there is so much animation that it's going to be way too heavy memory wise (it's 4 cds of animations and voice recordings)

xnopasaranx posted on Jul 26 2006 at 05:35 PM said:
hmm i guess if MI3 doesn't run all that well, the feeble files won't look nice either. It's also hi-res graphics and there is so much animation that it's going to be way too heavy memory wise (it's 4 cds of animations and voice recordings)

Don't be so sure, the engines are quite different in how they do things under the hood and I already have the basics of the Feeble Files video stuff worked out and how they might playback on the GP2X. When I get the GP2X working again (next week all being well :D :D) then trying the code I put together is one of the 1st things I will do.

MI3 is a really big game content and memory wise, using all of the SCUMM engine features, and it was never really designed to be parted from its original executable environment.

Broken Sword 1 + 2 are big content wise but have fairly nice engines (and there already scaled on the fly and ‘working’ on the GP2X, ok the could be better but hey there playable) there also VERY well implemented in ScummVM due to the source being kindly provided.

Feeble Files uses a tweaked Simon engine and the Simon engine is somewhere between the two extremes, whist the original Simon engine was reverse engineered Feeble Files is being implemented with help from Adventure Soft in some shape and form.

Note: This may not make any sense as I am tired ;).

Just curious if anyone has worked out a good way to compress the games. I have been trying to use "compress_scumm_bun" from the scummvm tools and it always errors out.

Anyone know what we can and cannot compress for the GP2X and have an easy guide for doing it? Should I try using MP3 or OGG?

fomit posted on Jul 28 2006 at 11:24 PM said:
Just curious if anyone has worked out a good way to compress the games. I have been trying to use "compress_scumm_bun" from the scummvm tools and it always errors out.

Anyone know what we can and cannot compress for the GP2X and have an easy guide for doing it? Should I try using MP3 or OGG?

Using the ScummVM tools is the correct way to compress the games for the GP2X port.

Using MP3 or OGG is fine, I would suggest OGG. Don't forget you need the encoders as well as the ScummVM tools. Tools like encode_dxa will do no good with the current releases (working on DXA support in my builds).

Back